free hit
counters
PDA Freescan... - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

PDA Freescan...

Been doing some data logs on the car to check everythings ok but I must admit the laptop is such a pain in the back end to use. Other systems such as OBD-II can use PDAs to interogate the car and display all sorts of stuff - some even have a bluetooth dongle so it's 100% wireless (how cool is that !?)

I'm gonna e-mail a few companies to see if we can get a program comissioned (digimoto's software is simply awesome so I'll start there) but it's probably going to cost.

Before I do anything silly considering the new influx of members all the time is there anyone out there who can write programs for the PocketPC or even port freescan to it considering the source code is freely available surey it can't be that hard.

I'm almost considering buying a few books on programming and working on it here and there. EVEN if it's just a simple numeric representation of the sensor data (coolant/rpm etc) so I can check them propperly instead of relying on the useless gauges (my coolant one is up and down like a friggen yoyo).

I understand getting it ported might cost a few quid but I'm prepared to lay some of the cash down even for a basic system - it'll be worth it to me for sure.

facebook = [email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are data logging using freescan the temperature readings shouldn't be up and down like a yo-yo but gentle climbs up and down with different driving conditions ie. pretty constant on the move, and climbing when stationary.

Phil

Jonathon,

I have two programs for the Palm that should work with 4-cylinder cars. The probem is getting the right serial connection. PalmScan was developed by Cain Hopwood worked welll on my old palm but stopped working on me when I went to the Palm m515.

I will email them to you.

Dermot

I would be interested in a port to the Windows Mobile 5 platform. My smartphone runs that and has built in bluetooth and wireless...that would be awsome to be able to take a look at the info anytime on my phone.

John
94 S4

OK guys your about to upset VINCE in France. :) Vince has been working on the programmes and hardware for mobile data logging with the Esprit. Programmes and hardware. :( Suggest you get him invovled in this project - especially if your going to throw money at it. He has spent weeks/months on this developing the interface and rewriting the programmes and putting the hardware together, all on a limited budget! B)

Exchanged several emails with Vince.

He is working on a stand alone logging system which will read and display the data stream from the 4-cylinder GM ECU.

It is still on a home made circuit board but I think it may see the light of day sometime in the near future.

He has no plans for a port of Freeascan to a PDA.

Dermot

I am a C++ programmer with experiance in comms on PC's and on PDA's. My day job is writing code for collecting and analysing data from data loggers mainly for the water industry, with data collection via RS232 - PC's and PDA's, modems, GSM modems, SMS, GPRS email and FTP, with data analysis on PC's and PDA's.

I dont really have the time to start from scratch (2 young kids and a wife that thinks cars are simply for getting from A to B) but if anybody has the source code for freescan I could have a look at converting it for PDA use - I dont actually have Freescan or a lead at present, but I have been thinking for a while that perhaps a good approach to start for PDA use would be to generate the log files on the PDA, which could then be tranfered to a PC and analysed with the the Freescan package.

My new best friend !! :)

The source code WAS released but I cannot find it anywhere.

TBH I'd only want the PDA for checking direct figures from the ECU, not things like trouble codes, dashboards and so on (well not at least now).

Anyone have access to the source code ?!?!

Hello gentlemen,

I am a profesional software engineer too with more than 12 years of C++ experience.

About two years ago I had the idea of porting Freescan to PDA, so much that I had Mr. Whittaker send me the source code (at the time it wasn't open source) to do the port.

Then, after two weeks I moved to Canada... I didn't touch the code ever since.

As I am now about to move to Japan, in the next few months I might have some time to work on it, starting from the latest source code, but I cannot guarantee it...

Anyway I would be interested to being part of the project at the very least...

Cheers,

Jollyroger

I knew out of the 1400 people on here we'd have the computer guys to do this.

The pen is in your hands so to speak - get together and have a go.

Seriously if you need a few 'tokens' thrown your way I'd be happy to pay for a licence to use what ever software is developed - a PDA solution is possible and would be very useful for those of use who hate karting bulky laptops around.

The floor is yours gents, I'm sure there will be a good response to developing this...incidently I also saw on a few ECU sites a lot of other users are crying out for the same package...

I tried to look on the sourceforge page of freescan and I tried to download the sources from there, but no luck.

Is there anybody here who can give me the sources?

I can try to look for the version I had, but it was from around the year 2000, so a pretty old version...

Jollyroger

We'll see what can be done... I will need some help though, as I don't have here with me neither the ALDL cable, nor the Esprit :angry:

I will need some testers to help with this, who can test preliminary versions of the code while I port it, so any volunteers are welcome, especially the ones who have a PDA and know how to run an application that doesn't have an installer, the ALDL cable and an Esprit!

Let me know who wants to be the guinea-pigs :(

Cheers,

Jollyroger

Any assistance you need PLEASE let me know and I will do all I can, I know a few other tech heads on here will also support you.

1 Guinea Pig right here.

I currently have a IPAQ 2210 with plenty of memory.

It's processor is INTEL PXA255

Running OS Winows CE v4.20 at present.

I will get a serial cable from the IPAQ as soon as I can (probably tomorrow) - from there I have everything else hardware wise B)

After a first look I am afraid I will have to rewrite a good chunk of code.

The application is designed to work on a PC and in order to work on a PDA several parts will need to be modified.

I will probably start by porting the communication routines and so some tests, then put together a rough prototype interface just to see if something works, and then bit by bit port the various parts of the program.

Guys, I need an order of importance of the various features, so I can start by porting them, so please put together a prioritised list of features, I will try to work on them in the given order.

Cheers,

Jollyroger

Great stuff.

If I were clever enough to do this I'd 1st work on porting the page that can read all of the Engine data, this includes :

RPM

MPH

Throttle position

engine Load

MAP sensor voltage (ie boost pressure)...a calc to actual BAR would also be ace.

O2 sensor - ie lambda

Coolant temp

mass air temp - charge cooler temperature

Spark advance

Knock retart

Knock count

battery Volts

Air:fuel ratio

Those are the important ones imo - no need for a gucci graphic user interface, although on the PDA it would be nice to bring 1 sensor up and display it in HUGE numbers full screen (ie coolant temp)

---------

After that the next most important part of freescan imo is the data logging, to be able to save a live copy of the sensors to file.

Anything other than that is really laptop territory. If you could get me those features on to PDA, no need for GUI just big buttons - I'd be over the moon !!!!

I'd agree with Jon although the dash display would also be good on the move...but I'd rank behind the main engine data page.. bringing up 1,2 or 3 key data would alsobe great when on track tho - much easier to track - from my point of view that would have to be MAP, MAT and air-fuel.

To be honest the data logging is still probably best done on a laptop than pda but it's definitely a key component.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif