free hit
counters
My Esprit is coming - Page 2 - Topics - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My Esprit is coming

cazna52

When mine arrived in Sydney, the guys tried to find the front hatch handle and ended up pulling on the small black vaccum lines ot the heater controls instead. I wouldn't have minded so much, but there was a laminated diagram on the dash showing where the handle was and how to open the hatch. The non-start could be non-related. If the car has taken a knock or the sea crossing was rough, the inertia fuel cut-off switch could have tripped - that had happened to mine when it arrived. Also the battery had been disconencted in the UK prior to shipment and the idiots at the import agents couldn't find the battery to check it. I think it's a good thing though, if they couldn't start it there's less chance of them having done something even more stupid.

I'm sure when you see it Justin, it won't take long for your to figure out what they've done. I wonder if it's still got a radio ?

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it you had insurance for shipping damage. My original Elan was slightly damaged in transit, (it wasn't containerised) but there was no problem with repair or insurance.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The car is here!

Looks like it fared pretty well with transport. There are just a few kind of stripy marks on the paint that look like ropes have rubbed against them but I think they should buff out.

The problem with not starting looks like it was just the inertial fuel cut off. I didn't have enough power in the battery to start it but it did fire after I reset the switch. Not sure what the lose wire is for but it looks like it could be from an old after market immobilizer that had been taken out. I don't think it is a problem.

There are a few bits of damage that I hadn't noticed in the original photos but which when I look closer they were there before I bought the car. One of the tail lights has a crack and the leather is torn in a few places.

All in all things seem like they have worked out pretty well. When the truck pulled up carrying it the car looked so gorgeous, I just fell in love with it. I have a girlfriend I met on the internet in the Philippines who I will be bringing to Australia soon and I can only hope I get the same feeling when I see her in person for the first time.

dsc0036ub.jpg

dsc0038yn.jpg

dsc0040fc.jpg

Congrats Justin. You must be relieved, after the saga of wharf issues, to finally have it. Hope the rego process is as painless as possible for you. Plenty of us here who can offer advice etc if you need.

DanR

Very nice mate, congratulations :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nice looking car Justin, well worth the wait. There's a leather bloke called Michael just up the road at Kariong just off the F3 that could fix your seats at a reasonable price - he trades uner the name 'Leatherwise'. Email me if you need the details.

I think your Esprit would look nice with a low-level wing attached to it :secret: Have fun and don't let the cops find you driving it around before the Rego is done - make sure you do it in the early hours of Sunday morning when the lazy sods are not out yet.

Edited by stevem

I didn't sleep in her overnight but I have spent a lot of time sitting in her, and just standing outside looking at how good she looks.

I got it started today after charging the battery overnight. It took quite a while after having been sitting for so long. To start off with it would fire and run for just a few seconds then stop and refuse to fire again unless I let it sit for about 15 mintues but after doing that for about 2 hours it started and ran fine.

I also noticed that the nuts for the battery cover are missing. I guess the shipping company took the cover off to try to jump start it. I will have to try to find a match for them, shouldn't be too hard.

I have resisted the urge to take her for a drive unregistered but I live in an apartment complex with a pretty long driveway so I drove up and down the driveway a few times. She drives pretty nicely in first gear, can't wait to try the rest.

I am a bit torn about the spoiler. I had initially intended to put a spoiler on because my dream car had always been an SE but the no spoiler look is growing on me and has the added advantage of better rearward visibility. I think I will leave it spoilerless at least for a while.

Awesome Justin :thumbsup: I'll bet your just beaming from ear to ear!

but I have spent a lot of time sitting in her, and just standing outside looking at how good she looks.

Ah yes, very common with a new Esprit owner and early signs of Esprititous. Unfortunately completely incurable. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

ENJOY !!.

I think I will leave it spoilerless at least for a while.

Well done that man,,,,,,,,,,, excellent taste ! :unworthy:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I took my car for a drive this morning to get a pink slip for my unregistered vehicle permit. I know that it is possible to get one with a declaration instead of a pink slip but I called the RTA and they said I needed a pink slip and I really wanted an excuse to take the car for a drive.

The car drove pretty well, the feel of the suspension is amazing, but I was a bit disappointed by its performance at low revs. If I planted my foot at low revs, say under 1500, the engine would just bog down and the car would pretty much stop.

Is this typical of the model or is my car playing up?

Well, it was a very eventful day for my Esprit today. As you know I took the car in to my mechanic for a pink slip today. When I went to pick it up they said they had some bad news for me, the car had broken while they were testing it.

The car was parked a very awkward spot half on the footpath at the bottom of a hill and refused to start. I was lucky that one of the guys who works there is an old friend of mine so he offered to help me fix it. It didn't take too long to figure out it was the fuel pump that had failed but we couldn't find where the fuel pump was. We were looking in the area near the right hand fuel cap and found some kind of pump but it didn't make any sense.

I was lucky again because I remembered that SteveM had given me his mobile number. I called him and he told me that the pump we were looking at was a purge pump and that the fuel pump was under the car. Thanks heaps for that Steve, I think we would have been messing around with the purge pump for hours before we figured out what was going on.

Now that we knew where the fuel pump was we checked for power with a multi-meter and found that it did have power so it was the pump that had failed. That was bad news because it was after hours and my car was parked in a bad spot in an industrial area so I didn't want to leave it there overnight. There was a wrecker across the road who should have been closed by then but luckily one of the guys was still there. We were hoping we could find any kind of fuel pump to just jury rig into the car just to get it into the workshop or home. He only had 2 fuel pumps there that had been taken off cars but incredibly one of them was identical to my pump.

After about 1/2 an hour my friend had fitted the pump into my car and it started straight away.

And after all that they only charged me for the pink slip, only $36.

On the way home the car had a lot more power than before. That problem with the engine bogging down if I punched the throttle was gone. There is one other problem now though. When I start the car it idles at about 900 rpm but as soon as I touch the throttle the idle goes up to about 2,100 - 2,500 and won't come back down. If I stop the car and start it again it is back to 900 but as soon as I touch the throttle it goes back up to over 2,000. Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Open up the rear hatch and remove the engine cover and have a look at the throttle cable to see if it's sticking. You'll see the end of it anchored near the middle of the intake cam cover. You can let the car idle and gently open the throttle with your finger and then let go, does the throttle lever and cable spring back, or is there something jamming them open ? it could be catching where the throttle cable goes past the foot rest and clutch pedal, or even at the throttle link end. Also have a look at the throttle jack solenoid adjacent to the front Carby to make sure the linkage is not sticking. ( It increases revs when the A/C is on, but the mechanical link might be sticky )

Other stuff like fuel pressure and ignition advance wouldn't have that much effect on idle speed I don't think - Make sure the balance pipes that link the Carby's are all secure and check the engine management vac lines just in case one has a hole in it or is loose. ( that would effect engine performance more than anything, but worth a look )

Good Luck - report back when you've found it. :secret:

I installed a stiffer return spring, but it could be dirty linkages, sticking butterflies, damaged cable, the way to check is to detach the cable and exterior spring and see if the throttles/ butterflies snap shut when you open them manually.

If it doesn't scare the $hit out of you, it's not quick enough. :yes:

I haven't had a chance to play with the engine yet, but I called the engineer today and got some good news. He says that for my car a center high mounted stop lamp is not required. He said they are only required on later models, I think he said either 91 or 93 onwards.

I took my car for the engineers certificate today but unfortunately it failed. It was too noisy. It was reading 105db when the maximum allowed was 90db. I had tried to do the steel wool trick but the damn stuff wouldn't stay in there.

After it failed the test I took the car straight to the first exhaust place I found that could fit me in immediately and they said I should replace the muffler with a quieter one but that they didn't have one available but that they did have a resonator which they said would make the sound richer but slightly quieter. I got them to put it on and it did change the sound a little but made no change to the noise level.

Does anybody know any good exhaust places?

By the way I figured out what was going on with the idle. I think it was actually the choke. Looks like the choke cable was broken but the choke was partly on.

The car drove really well up to Wyong but I think I need a new steering rack. The steering wheel moves freely just a few mm before it starts moving the wheels which feels quite disconcerting on the freeway.

Wow 105dB ! It will take some work to get that down to 90dB, but look on the bright side - Of all the things the Engineer could have failed it on a new muffler is not such a big deal. You could have that fixed in a day or two and be finally on the road and start having some fun. There's plenty of custom Exhaust places north of Sydney who could make you a new one or re-stuff your old one. Try North Shore Performance Mufflers, Hornsby, 9482 3399 - they fabricate custom exhaust systems and are close to you.

Steering racks are a common problem on Esprit's, you can get exchange units from the UK but i guess the 2-way freight might be a bit expensive. Maybe a recon unit is the way to go. ( Give the Elan Factory in Melbourne a call, they might be able to help. )

Currently priced at 245 UK pounds. Which is quite reasonable as I paid 220 back in 2003.

Noise levels should be well within.

Sounds 10x better than the original Lotus clump of lead.

Sj Sportscars

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.