free hit
counters
My Esprit is coming - Topics - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My Esprit is coming

cazna52

My Esprit should be delivered to me by the import agents on Thursday or Friday this week. I already have insurance but now I need to get Green Slip, Engineers Certificate Blue Slip and rego. I will need to put a high center mounted brake light on as well for the Engineers Certificate. Going to try to do it all in a day or two despite the fact that I have very little chance of achieving this.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, actually I spent all of last weekend cleaning my garage. I used to have heaps of stuff stacked up down the left side of the garage but of course the Esprit won't fit without clearing all that stuff. Even after spending the whole weekend cleaning I still have too much stuff there, will have to get stuck into it again tonight.

Re: the high brake light. I just went to the local car parts place and bought an led strip for $10.

Came as a kit which you just stuck to the glass. I disassembled so that just the strip remained and stuck in under the wing.

Simple solution and a cheap one too.

Lotushibrakelight2.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I did a similar trick, LED strip light but mounted at the top of the small rear window in the tail gate. It's invisible when not lit but can be clearly seen from behind when it is lit, and keeps the wiring inside and out of view. Good luck with the engineers certificate, take a carton of beer with you to bribe the man in the event of annoying little things that he may find.;)

Too many Toys are never enough !

Car hasn't arrived yet. The import agents say there is a backlog for steam cleaning :(

With the break light I will probably just double sided tape anything I can find there to get rego quick. There is something I would like to try in the long run but I don't know if it can be done as I haven't had an Esprit to have a close look at yet. I would like to try putting a strip of very small leds along the top edge of the rear glass shining into the glass, that way hopefully the light would travel through the glass and come out at the bottom edge.

I will have to get my car before I can check out how things are layed out before I know if this is possible but if I could get it working I think it would look pretty cool.

Here's what the LED strip looks like mounted in the top of the small window - from inside the car there's a faint red glow in the rear view mirror, but from the back it lights up like a Xmas tree, Refraction makes it look like there's 2 sets of lights when viewed directly at the rear, it shines through the tail gate glass so bright nobody could miss it.

It's just like you thought, the '2nd' light appears to come out of the edge of the glass.

post-5938-090813400 1287735293.jpg

post-5938-013495600 1287735311.jpg

Edited by stevem

Ahhh - the dreaded $team clean. I read up on this prior to exporting mine from the UK. Aust Customs states that the car can have signs of grease and oil on the underside - but not excessive. Any signs of leaves, dirt are a big no no.

I was on site when customs came to inspect my car and they found a (single) leaf seed behind the intake grill. They straight away said it was up for a $team clean, solely for the sead pod. I mentioned that I could have it out in 5 minutes as I brought my tools. They were happy with that and 5 mins later it all got signed off and away I drove for the first time.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Justin, have you found an engineer yet to do the inspection ? Mine was done at Lakesedge Engineering in Wyong by a bloke called Kevin Humphrey's. It cost $275, the guy was very easy going and only really concerned himself with side intrusion bars, exhaust noise, the cat and rear view mirrors. I had exhaust noise issues which were overcome and, no cat which he eventually found wasn't an issue for an 87/88 Esprit according to his records.

It's only 45 mins drive North from Hornsby, and might be worth considering as I know the Sydney guys charge double that amount. Also he will have a record of my certificate to cross reference. tel 4353 0866.

He only does inspections by appointment, and he can get very busy so you might have to book a week or two in advance.

Thanks for that Steve. I have a mate who is a mechanic and says he knows a good engineer local but I haven't spoken to him yet. The only place I have spoken to so far was quoting $550. Hopefully my mates friend can slip me in for a quick and reasonably cheap engineers certificate but if not I will definitely be giving your guy a call.

A lot of this engineers certificate seems to be personal interpretation, and justifying the charge. I didn't need and still don't have a high mounted brake light, my guy had a thing about seat belts, I knew this in advance so I had already done my research and had all the details, he also made me fit a restricter in the fuel nozzle to stop you using the old leaded fuel bowsers, yes the ones that haven't been in existence for years, and noise, again I had to fit a restricter in the tail pipe to quieten it down, sadly at a later date it feel out :whistle:

Do your research first would be my recommendation, I seem to recall someone having to change all the brake lines because he couldn't prove specification.

Glad to hear it's almost with you.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I think I am going to go with Steve's guy for the engineers certificate. He has a 2 week wait and I will have to get an unregistered vechicle permit to take it to him but he is so much cheaper than the other guys. The place that quoted me $550 a few weeks ago just quoted me $775 today. Steve's guy at Lakesedge said it should only be $300-400 which is worth the extra wait and effort. Seeing as it has taken about 5 months since I bought it to get this far another 2 weeks won't kill me.

Have you got the car yet ? When/If you take it to Kevin, make sure he can get access to the inside of one of the doors to see the side intrusion bars, just have the screws removed in advance and pull off the inside door card for him. The Esprit's bars are huge, nothing to worry about. I know from experience and also from other people who have been there, that he just has a quick look at things like lights and seat belts but always focuses on a few 'favorite' things. He is very 'old school' and has been around for a long time. Also expect to be there for a while, he asked me to be there at 8.30am but found he also asked 6 other customers s to be there at 8.30 too - first come first served. ( but it gives you a chance to get the weigh bridge certificate from a place just around the corner )

Make sure your drivers door mirror is flat glass - just stick flat mirror glass onto the original curved one with double sided sticky pads and remove it afterwards if required. He will measure the exhaust noise, mention to him that it's a 'rear engined car' and that he may have to allow an extra 3dB to take into account the engine noise. If it's noisy, stick a wad of stainless steel scouring pad up the tail pipe as far as you can get it to make it quiter - it will blow out in a day or two. The figure he is looking for is less than 90dB at 1 metre. Make some dyno-tape lables that say 'unleaded fuel only' and stick them on the inside of each fuel filler flap - he's not worried about restrictors being fitted but likes to see the these labels.

Kevin doesn't usually put cars up on a ramp unless they look really bad, so don't mention the CAT and you might get away with it. If he asks 'does it have one', just act dumb and say yes. From memory his computer records show that the Australian delivered Esprit's up to and including 1987 didn't have CATs fitted. If he discovers that your 88 car doesn't have a CAT, tell him that your car was manufactured at the end of 87 and first registered for the road in 88. Additionally I'll send you a copy of a Lotus service bulletin regarding unleaded fuel that states that only USA cars with carby's fitted had CATs, UK, Europe and Rest of the world didn't have them fitted until fuel injection was installed. If you keep calm and use the evidence wisely you should be OK.

The Unregistered vehicle permit is available from your local RTA and includes green-slip CTP insurance. It only costs a few dollars.

Good Luck.

I got a call from the import agent and he said I should get a call from the tow truck driver to arrange delivery tomorrow. I am not 100% confident yet though as it seems every time I think it is about to be delivered something else happens.

Thanks for all that info Steve, very good stuff. I will follow your advice and hopefully not have too much trouble with the engineers certificate. My car is actually an 89 model manufactured in 88 so the CAT could give me some trouble. If I could get that info from you about only the federal models having CATs that would be great.

thanks

Lol, still a bit nervous.

I got a call from the tow truck driver and the car should be delivered tomorrow morning between 10 and 11.

The bad news is that he says the car won't start because it has lose wires hanging down under the dash. I am pretty sure it wasn't like that before it left the UK. There have been lots of people handling the car since it was shipped, one of them must have torn out the wires. Either the shipping company, the wharfies, the import agent, Customs, Department of the Environment, the steam cleaners, AQIS or the tow truck driver. It could have been the steam cleaners because I made a lot of phone calls asking why it took over 3 weeks when I was originally told it would be done in a couple of days, perhaps they got annoyed at my impatience.

To be fair, that's a big assumption that the car is even fitted with an immobiliser. They could be just wires from the ignition pulled out, you'll need to see them to know.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.