free hit
counters
fuel breather hoses - Page 2 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
richardvg

fuel breather hoses

Bob, 

Do you remember what you did with charcoal cannister, tank when you upgraded? And I do have the manuals, the schematic just doesn't show where the parts are actually placed in the car or where the tubes actually route.

Brian M.

Edited by marcbria

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Gents,

Not sure if this is the question but on my mostly original S2 the charcoal canister was located on the right rear side of the rear hatch behind the plywood panel (just forward of the rear light and just aft of the wheel well).

Lou R

Thanks Lou,

I don't suppose you remember what the routing of the vent lines was do you?

Brian

Lou R you may find that is the vacuum reservoir tank for the ac/heater. On my 1979 S2 the carbon canister is on the left hand side just below the fuel filler pipe. The vacuum lines run from the filler breathers and fuel pump into the catch tank then a line runs into the carbon canister. From here a line runs into the engine bay and on to a vacuum takeoff on the inlet manifold.

Don't think I have a catch tank on my euro spec s2.. Should I :S ?

No

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Roo,

You are correct - the steel canister at the right rear of the S2 (inside the rear hatch behind the plywood panel) is (as you stated) the heater/A/C vacuum tank - not the charcoal canister.  I was working from memory (never a good idea for me).  Went to check my disassembly photos but couldn't find a suitable one.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Lou R

So anyone else hazard a guess where I should install the charcoal canister on a Federal S1?

Brian,

I can't venture a guess on the canister location for an S1 but you may want to check the S1S2S3 Owners Group site - there's a thread going on now discussing the various fuel plumbing components (and their locations including the charcoal canister).  Not sure if it's for an S1 but you can ask the question to the thread participants.

Lou R

Hi Lou,

Thats my thread = )

Can anyone suggest a one way valve to use on the one fuel tank breather hoses where they connect to the tops of the fuel tanks?

And which direction do they one way valves flow? Into the tanks or out of the tanks? From my understanding air and fuel vapors need to be able to move both in and out of the tanks but hat liquid fuel should only be able to flow into the tanks. Should some ever condense in the lines.

Brian M.

ok just about to do mine on my S3 they have rotten away, on my left hand tank it has another breather from a round black cap which also has a small vacuum pipe connected? is this a charcoal canister? don't see any pics in the manual regarding this? it also has a one way valve but its just led down. No doubt a bodge by a PO.

Sounds like the vaccum canister for the vacuum operated vent flaps... is it a round black cylinder, like a squashed volleyball?

There are plenty of threads here for the vent pipes, not  a difficult job.

cheers,

simon