free hit
counters
Adding power steering - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Adding power steering

What do you reckon is the best rout to PAS; adding original components or going the modern electric column option?

I have the all the original parts to convert to PAS but should probably get the 2nd hand rack reconned while it's off for wich I have been quoted a couple of hundred quid. However the original equipment was criticised at the time and there I have heard these crude old racks are susceptible to leaks. I also understand the PAS versions had a different water pump which increases the cost.

The electric option sounds great in principle but a bit more experimental for the likes of me, as opposed to nuts and bolts

Anybody have experience of either on the 4 seaters?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark

Ive used the EPS from a late Corsa on the ECT.

You would need to fabricate mountings at the top of the column, a link from the rack to the Corsa u/j and also I found I could not get a steering boss to fit the column so I had to make one.

You can buy a regulator off ebay so you can have as much assistance you require.

Best of luck

Hi Mark

Not sure of the mechanics of adding original spec power steering to your car, ie possible water pump issues you mention, hope this is not a problem as I having dropped non power steering engine, into model with power steering, and currently have not added my power steering pump to engine yet, having only just picked up correct bracket, so cant comment on that bit, but now have my fingers crossed this is not the case.

However there is a brand new, old stock power steering rack] on e bay down here in Lifton, Devon from Lotus supplier who advertises odd bits now and again, sorry dont know how to put link, but if you just put Lotus Elite power steering rack, it comes up and is either buy now for 200.00 of starting bid not sure which, may be better deal than having yours refurbished at same money.

Hope this may be of some use

Regards

Mike

Edited by EliteMike

Hi Mike, yes I have seen that bracket, though I did wonder about the integrity of the seals if it is NOS and been stored for many, many years. On balance would probably rather get the old one sealed and pressure tested? The PO collected all the bits for the conversion from a breaker he had whilst parked side by side, according to him the lower part of the steering colum is slightly different too.

Lotect I would be interested in hearing more about your conversion, will send a PM. When you say you could not get a boss I assume thats for the original odd wheel, whereas I have a Nardi waiting to go on. Or can you not get boss kits for modern airbag columns now?

I am planning on using the original Lotus power steering rack with an electric pump from a saxo/106. If there are mechanical differences on the power steering pump drive on the 912, you could slot in an electric pump easily enough?

D

• 3 months later...

Just an observation, but there's a thread in the restoration part of the forum that suggests REMOVING pas makes the 503 handle better; I think it's somewhere in a thread entitled "Elite...." . Also that removing the air con reduces weight - obviously)

hth

In the end decided to swap over to the recon rack and PAS setup using original parts (even if they are a bit crude) rather than try electric pumps etc . It was pointed out that this would be frowned on by an insurer if not declared as it's a pretty fundamental modification that a 3rd party may seize upon in the event of an accident . The non-PAS setup is just too much of a chew in day to day use; I know the die hards will say it's an affront to the nirvana of driving purity but even Colin Chapman specified PAS on some of his cars, even the Esprit.