Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Help, Fluid leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Help, Fluid leak

Help please, discovered a puddle under my car this evening, seems to be comming from under the centre of the font bonnet. Dripping on to a rod that goes left to right under the car, posssibly steering rod?? Think it must have started yesterday, as garage floor has small puddle also. Was dripping at quite a rate, appears to be brake fluid at best guess?

Please see pic. There is some black hose in that area and I could see a jubilee clip, so maybe this is the leak?

thanks

post-828-1144276246.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anti-roll bar that is.

Looks like power steering from the location - check the levels on all your systems, doubt it's brake fluid or you'd hear the pump wirring all the time to keep the pressure up on the ABS system and the system is further to the right side of the car.

The jubilee clip I believe (can't see exactly) is for the water, but where that leak is right under the steering mechanism. Coolant should obviously have the consistancy of water, brake/steering fluid should feel slightly more viscous and so slightly rough to roll between finger and thumb, should also be clear, not coolant coloured.

Move the car, start her up and bang the brakes and see if it leaks, then turn the steering full lock a few times at the ends to see if that makes it any worse.

I usually taste fluids to tell what they are - they are rank but you can instantly tell where they have come from after a while :blink:

If you're still stuck I'll have a peek under mine tomorrow for you.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Help please, discovered a puddle under my car this evening, seems to be comming from under the centre of the font bonnet. Dripping on to a rod that goes left to right under the car, posssibly steering rod?? Think it must have started yesterday, as garage floor has small puddle also. Was dripping at quite a rate, appears to be brake fluid at best guess?

Please see pic. There is some black hose in that area and I could see a jubilee clip, so maybe this is the leak?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off check to see what fluid it is exactly,could be power steering fluid,check your rack ,if it turns out to be brake fluid i would find the leak before driving unless you have a spare anchor :huh: .............could be your master cylinder ,brake lines/unions,calipers...... but then you would get a ABS light flashing at you :blink: ,could even possibly be engine oil if its near your oil cooler and associated lines etc.

Nick S4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.