free hit
counters
Type of Oil Recommended - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tallic

Type of Oil Recommended

Have redline tested the lighter weight oils in our engines?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I ordered my gear box oil and running in oil from Opie. Its a great website to order from and I think Tims help in getting to the bottom of some of the oil "myths" and answering my questions was very helpful.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Thanks for the order and I'm glad I've helped out.

If anyone is considering buying oil and is unsure of anything, feel free to ask or check our technical articles.

Cheers

Tim

oilmans website: www.opieoils.co.uk | Tel: 01209 215164 (option 2) | e-mail: [email protected]

Got my oil yesterday. Looks really good...how sad am I getting excited about cartons of engine and gearbox oil arriving...still looks good!! lol

Buddsy :thumbsup:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

People get excited about lesser things, Big Brother and Eastenders for example. Thanks for letting me know it arrived safely, they are a new courier for us, so we're keeping an eye on them.

Cheers

Tim

oilmans website: www.opieoils.co.uk | Tel: 01209 215164 (option 2) | e-mail: [email protected]

Do you need to consider oil weight based on local ambient temperature? Lotus say 10W/60 Castrol Edge Sport, but I presume that is tested in the UK. Does the fact that our ambient temp where I live in summer is about 32deg C make any difference to the recommendation.

I run Redline 15W/50 based on recommendation from Steve Taylor of The Elan Factory in Melbourne. Just rang the only supplier close to me and they don't stock it anymore due to lack of turnover. Was expensive.

Oops. Got carried away in the thread content and realise I have just asked a question for my 4 cyl S4 in a V8 thread. I suppose the ambient temperature question is relevant though.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Due to the cooling systems in cars being pretty good, the oil temp isn't usually that affected by higher ambient temps too much. Perhaps if it was a track car in Dubai or somewhere really hot, then I would suggest going to the next grade thicker, but with your air temps a 10w-50, 15w-50 or 10w-60 would be fine.

Cheers

Tim

In my Owners Handbook it recommends for above 0o the following for the 1989 Turbo;

• Valvoline 20W/50
  • Elf 20W/50
  • Mobil1 Rally Formulae 15W/50

Why the differences with what people are using now ?

the consensus appearing to be with a 10W/60

Colin

Yeah I see that, but virtually all the correspondance is from 4 cylinder owners

And the recoemendation from the Opie site is the same product

Colin

In my Owners Handbook it recommends for above 0o the following for the 1989 Turbo;

• Valvoline 20W/50
  • Elf 20W/50
  • Mobil1 Rally Formulae 15W/50

Why the differences with what people are using now ?

the consensus appearing to be with a 10W/60

The move from 20w50 to 10w 60 may be due to oil technology moving on.

The 4 cylinder engine was put in production in the 70s and the 8 cylinder in the mid 90s and we are now 35 and 15 years past that respectively. I very much doubt there was a decent 10w60 in production at the time of the 4 cylinder design stage, and not sure if there was a decent one by '96. Thus, 20w50 being the spec of design choice, but now we have better additives to modify the viscosity and keep it thicker for hotter temperatures and not break down in a short time interval.

Gentlemen,

I am sure you all know this but changing the oil often enough is important.

When summer kicked in I suddenly had the valves in my -99 V8 making substantial noise for a few seconds after start-up, fading slowly and disappearing completely after 15 second or so. The oil had 4000km and 16 months. Edge Pro TWS 10W60 as per garage receipt.

I changed to edge 10w-60 Mseries and the start-up noise completely disappeared.

The difference in oil touch and feel was astonishing as well. Now, the question is: is the 10W60 oil less stable in time than lighter grades? I never get this difference on e.g. Mobil 1 10W-30 in my other cars...?

Best,

/Magnus

It may be the extremes the oil is put through and the duration of heat exposure. If the more modern cars have better oil cooling then I'd expect that oil to last longer.