free hit
counters
So... - Page 3 - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

So...

Bibs

Recent quote

AirAsia airline entrepreneur Fernandes is expected to sell the Team Lotus name to Lotus Group but he said an alternative, albeit less likely, would be for him to acquire Lotus cars from Proton.

"If it was an option that was available to us, that's feasible," he said.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs,

Thanks.

Whilst I would much prefer the Fernandes/Gascoyne partnership to be running the race team next year it's looking and sounding increasingly likely that it'll be a Renault buy-in that wins the day as far as Group Lotus is concerned. Can you imagine the irony (and embarassment) caused if Malaysia F1 (or whatever they become called) start out-performing the Lotus 'works' team. This is by no means impossible when you consider some of the design/engineering talent that has moved to Hingham and the fact they've been working on the 2011 car pretty much since the start of this season. The new Engine/Gearbox(especially/KERS package alone will make a huge difference and the new Pirelli tyres could throw up some surprises. In the meantime the Renault team has largely gone backwards through the year stopping development on this years car altogether in the summer. What work has gone into next years car bearing in mind Renault want to pull out as a team asap and supply engines only?.

Given the choice between the two teams I know where my money would be going and it isn't Enstone.

Whatever the outcome I hope above all else that a decision is made quickly, Tony Fernandes is right that the longer this drags on the more the Lotus brand/company suffers.

Personally I'd like to see Fernandes purchase Lotus cars from Proton then put a non-fluff CEO in place to run the cars, allowing him to get back to racing. I think it gets Proton out of playing Malaysian politics once and for all and everyone would win (Dany boy can then go about marketing flashy paint schemes for UK telephone booths stuffed with naked dancers) devil.gif

The recent "Lotus News" stories (from the tab on this forum) discussing the good natured bet made between Richard Branson and Tony at the beginning of the season (a bet pertaining to which team would out do the other by season's end), bring into focus the sharp contrast on how two business rivals may deal with a competitive issue. Branson will soon be flitting down the aisle of an Air Asia jet, serving passengers, and all for a worthy cause (a charity of his choice).

Compare that to the current ongoing battle between Team Lotus and Group Lotus, and the degree of acrimony it increasingly fuels (with any "charity" lining the pockets of numerous barristers), and one might easily conclude that the High Court might best serve the motoring (and tax paying) public by imposing some form of mandatory "light heartedness" to the affair. May I suggest that the rights to associate the Team Lotus moniker with next year's season be determined by replacing Group's "light fingered" approach to recovering said moniker with a high spirited, yet friendly (insofar as that is possible under the circumstances) competition in an F1 simulator at a neutral site (say, Stornaway, Scotland--a place of unparalleled solitude and total lack of outside distraction). The challenge between Dany and Tony would be governed by the most civil rules of conduct, and overseen by a completely impartial panel of judges--that being the simulator's software results. To ensure statistical fairness, five runs on five different circuits would be programmed. 3 of 5 takes the match, and with it the naming rights. The event would, of course, be televised, and all profits donated to Sister Anne's Home for Recovering Barristers.

Gentlemen, what say you?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Interesting in the Reuters article "Gerard Lopez, the Renault team chairman and major shareholder, said his Genii Capital had long-standing links outside Formula One with Lotus Group but would not comment on future plans.

Could it be that Danny boy is using Genii investment in "the new dawn" to pay Genii for F1 sponsorship?

Two's Company - Will we see 2 Lotus teams in F1 in 2011?

Evora NA

Ideal solution to all this nonsense get Tonys outfit to run in black and gold call itself Worldwide Racing black circular badge with intials ACBC jobs a good un we all know where our hearts lie in Norfolk.

By the way have Classic Team Lotus ever had Lotus Racing as a link seems to have disappeared, Groups link is still there inside info or what?

Long live Team Lotus.

A bit north of 5 quid, I reckon.

The actual purchase price might be doable to a man of sufficient means. It's the gazillions in attached debt load that must surely be simmering beneath the surface (what with all the extravagant activities taking place these days) that might prove to be the fly in the ointment.

French paper Le Figaro say Renault selling their remaining 25% of the Renault F1 team (but not the engine operation) to Proton, to be announced on Wednesday...

Well that didn't happen - so either Le Figaro's source was wrong or something has changed since then. But with Lotus management schmoozing LA it doesn't seem like a sensible date anyway now.

Just have to wait and see.

Apologies for the Babel Fish translation but this was posted on the Official (French) Renault Formula 1 Website yesterday evening: -

"Renault will remain under the name of Renault F1 TEAM this week On Tuesday November 16, 2010 with 21:33, by Yoann Richard.

Renault will continue to roll this week under the name of Renault F1 TEAM. The team, which must roll until Saturday on the layout of Abu Dhabi, will not change a name. The information reported this evening on AutoHebdo.fr, announcing that the name “Renault F1 TEAM” would become “Lotus Renault F1 TEAM” as of tomorrow, proves to be false. Renault F1 TEAM specified us that the team will roll all the week under her true name, namely “Renault F1 TEAM”. Renault concentrates from now on on the preparation of its second day of tests for young pilots, tomorrow in Abu Dhabi. The Belgian Jerome D'Ambrosio will be in track before yielding his place to Robert Kubica Friday and Saturday to discover the Pirelli gums."

Looks like Renault F1 is staying as Renault F1 for the time being at least.

http://www.saveteamlotus.com/

Someone has taken sides!

Evora NA

Very interesting piece. Is there some bully boy tactics going on here !

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

http://www.saveteamlotus.com/

Someone has taken sides!

I wonder who though?! The registrar for saveteamlotus.com doesn't seem to have a working whois server so we can't see who owns the domain...

It presents a rather one-sided view, but that's what it;s there for I suppose.

Would you advertise your domain info with all the legal sharks in the water looking to sue the pants off you for possibly libelous allegations? Then again, stating the truth is not a libelous activity.

While it is quite obvious that the site and its author have indeed "taken a side" on the issue, and are most certainly not trying to hide that fact, what they have posted appears to be accurate and well researched. In any case, Proton, et al., have released all manner of "one-sided" viewpoints as well. Their affirmations, however, often seem at odds with the historical facts.

• 2 weeks later...

mmm.... good to see that Dany is still wearing his polytetraflouroethylene scapula covers on the F1 issue.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

From that clip Dany stated :"I believe the heart and soul of a sports car is the engine"

That's not what Lotus has been about and it's a shame you feel you put engine first over chassis and suspension and light weight. detective.gif

Edited by comem47
  • Like 1

Astute observation, Chris. "Teflon Dany" has mastered the sidestep dance as well. Still, he appeared to state recognition of the fact that Lotus Cars is too preoccupied with the new models and their development at the moment to be dealing directly with the F1 issue. He rather adroitly shuffled off that particular decision to "the shareholders at Proton," feigning ignorance as to next season's intentions. One supposes that he has been advised by his Malaysian masters to adopt this position for the near term. Nonetheless, he seemed pretty fired up about Lotus getting back into Le Mans LP2 racing. With less "naming controversy" (that I'm aware of anyway) clouding the issue for that venue, I'm getting pretty excited about the prospect as well! Sounds like the factory is pretty serious about it, and it ought to give us all something we can collectively rally 'round on.:)

Apparently FIA have issued a 2011 entry list

http://joesaward.wor...hip-entry-list/

9, Robert Kubica (PL), Renault F1 Team, Renault;

10, TBA, Renault F1 Team, Renault;

20, Jarno Trulli (I), Team Lotus, Lotus-Renault;

21, Heikki Kovalainen, Team Lotus, Lotus-Renault

I don't know how final this is - there are several TBA drivers anyway. But perhaps good sense has prevailed on the Lotus v Lotus front.

Also I see Mike Gascoyne mentions it:

"FIA entry list just published and Team Lotus name confirmed along with Jarno and Heikki, great news for the team"

http://twitter.com/MikeGascoyne

Edited by BrazierD