free hit
counters
another chargecooler question - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

another chargecooler question

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might/might not help but on a recent fairly long blast I had the MAT sensor showing it in the very low 20sC (commonly about 22-23C) when the ambient was about 14C. Depending on speed only went up a few degrees as well - I thought that was pretty good - only an increase of a few degrees considering how the pipes run and where the chargecooler sits B)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Yeah, what he said. The MAT is usually only a few deg above ambient when all is working good. The chargecooler box should feel icy cold to the touch if you put your hand on it immediately after a good run.

I usually get 95deg F at the MAT on a 90degF day.

A NA car gets around 130-140F and the Lotus V8 (nonchargecooled turbo) gets 215F intake temps.

Why not use Freescan and the MAT to read the temp? That is what it is there for.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

That's the plan - it'll be an invaluable tool - always good to know what to expect numbers wise - car runs the oversize chargecooler but also an oversize Int'cooler rad.. I have a second gauge in the cabin so I can spot a problem quickly or knwo when ro come in or do soem cool down laps..

It reads -ve numbers, when ambient is above 0, a lot of the time and often low teens even when car up to temp. But I've not had a chance to test on the run..

If Ican put off the electric pump change till after the season then it's one less thing to do now..

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Thanks guys - so on a flowed head and uprated fuel/turbo set up car - I shoudl epxcet no more than 10 degrees C above ambient after a few laps of track driving..?

Car uses the oversize cooler design - supplied from Garry Kemp. Car also uses an oversize IC rad.

Hard to tell from idle as there is a lack of cool fluid circuiating the system (i.e. IC rad doing nothing other than some heat dissipation)..?

Be glad once I can actually run her on a week Saturday.

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Perhaps not track driving. I was reading Dermots page last night again and noticed his freescan MAT readings from VMAX.

Under sustained boost the system can't cool it fast enough...I think his air temp got to about 70C / 158F on a long sustained boost run - track will probably do the same, depends how often the car is off boost.

My blasts on the rolling road got the temp from about 20c idle to 28c on max boost.

I want to do some freescan tests again soon (getting used to reading the figures now) esp on a long full boost run down the motorway - try and publish some results as soon as the road conditions improve :)

Perhaps not track driving.  I was reading Dermots page last night again and noticed his freescan MAT readings from VMAX.

Under sustained boost the system can't cool it fast enough...I think his air temp got to about 70C / 158F on a long sustained boost run - track will probably do the same, depends how often the car is off boost.

Perhaps we need some nitrous injection straight into the plenum or c/cooler... B)

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Last time I saw Del he was looking at these electric thermo thingies which are like slabs of metal that freeze very quickly.

When I was a machine engineer we used them to freeze aluminium onto a milling machine bed (the casting could not be clamped) by pouring a little water around it, switch it on, the water froze to the bed and the piece to be machined....cant think what they were called now.

The applications here are obvious.

I'm modding my car by efficiency rather than ECU chips and more boost, currently working on stage 1 stuff but the next step will be improving the charge cooler (possibly an electric pump, thermal shielding etc)

Always good to share the info - if you've got freescan you can log the data and prove your modifications too, if they don't add too much weight !

Last time I saw Del he was looking at these electric thermo thingies which are like slabs of metal that freeze very quickly.

When I was a machine engineer we used them to freeze aluminium onto a milling machine bed (the casting could not be clamped) by pouring a little water around it, switch it on, the water froze to the bed and the piece to be machined....cant think what they were called now.

The applications here are obvious.

I'm modding my car by efficiency rather than ECU chips and more boost, currently working on stage 1 stuff but the next step will be improving the charge cooler (possibly an electric pump, thermal shielding etc)

Always good to share the info - if you've got freescan you can log the data and prove your modifications too, if they don't add too much weight !

Those are Peltier devices. They aren't very efficient as they use alot of current to work. Fun though.

We used to use them to control the temperature of a spahire crystal that was pumped by a laser... They can heat if you reverse the polarity.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thats the one - I doubt Del ever fitted them, he was just playing as usual, haven't seen him in ages to hear how he is getting on.

I didn't know they heated as well LOL. We used to get people to hold the aluminium and then secretly switch them on until they yelped away becuase it was too cold :)

No one would belive they actually got cold, used to freeze water in 2-3 seconds - had loads of fun messing with peoples heads with these :)

Thats the one - I doubt Del ever fitted them, he was just playing as usual, haven't seen him in ages to hear how he is getting on.

I didn't know they heated as well LOL.  We used to get people to hold the aluminium and then secretly switch them on until they yelped away becuase it was too cold  :)

No one would belive they actually got cold, used to freeze water in 2-3 seconds - had loads of fun messing with peoples heads with these  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have also had this idea and was thinking of one of these in the chargecooler pluming, but I am a little concerned with getting rid of the heat build up. You don't get something for nothing. but should usefully reduce water temp of the chargecooler well below ambient.

http://www.tetech.com/assys/lc061.shtml

I have also had this idea and was thinking of one of these in the chargecooler pluming, but I am a little concerned with getting rid of the heat build up. You don't get something for nothing. but should usefully reduce water temp of the chargecooler well below ambient.

http://www.tetech.com/assys/lc061.shtml

The chargecooler as it was designed, is a very efficient system. Effectively lowering temperatures down to just above ambient is a huge benefit.

A Peltier device is hugely inefficient, requiring a large amount of power (current) to do anything.

The only real drawback to the Lotus chargecooler is, complexity, weight, and capacity (which increases size and complexity). The achilles heal is the mechanical pump. Replace that and there is no real reason to do anything else.

If you want something better in a Lotus, then add water methanol injection. Or possibly liquid propane injection... Both of which have limited capacity in how much fluid you can carry.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 4 weeks later...