free hit
counters
19. Abu Dhabi---Yas Marina Circuit - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

19. Abu Dhabi---Yas Marina Circuit

Abu Dhabi who?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, here it is Thursday, the day before the first qualifying runs and not a peep on this forum about the race. Guess everyone (guilty as charged) is so involved in following the Team Lotus naming debacle or Dany's spandex fantasy that they've forgotten there's still one more to go.

So, to generate some needed interest.........

ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Venue: Yas Marina

Date: Sunday 14 November

Lap length: 3.451 miles

Race laps: 55

2009 winner: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull)

First grand prix: 2009

Fascinating fact: The Yas Marina track cost a staggering £800m and is part of a massive development aimed at bringing tourism to the United Arab Emirates. Among the attractions will be Ferrari World, which opens in 2010 as the world's largest indoor theme park with the world's fastest rollercoaster. The marina by the track has space for more than 150 yachts and can even accommodate six 200ft-long monsters - that's the length of more than six double-decker buses.

ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX | Round 19 | Circuitpdf_icon.gifPDF VERSION14 November, 2010. Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi | Start time - Local : 17:00 - GMT : 13:00 Lap : 5.554km/3.451 miles | Offset : 0.115km | Race : 55 laps - 305.355km/189.747 milesabu_dhabi.jpgf1-key-valencia.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was cynical I'd question why Mark Webber was called in for a tyre change so early. It was obvious that when he came back out he'd be in traffic & lose a load places as the field was still s

Am I alone in finding all the "new" circuits tedious? Comparing the Tilkerings with, say, Spa or Monza.....dull. At the beginning of the season I'm full of anticipation and edge-of-the-seat suspense..

I'm looking forward to it - my money (as it should have been months ago) is on Alonso, I think fezza and the fernado have been excellent and they deserve to win.

Realistically unless the top 3 have a smash up (and with Mark Webber around thats not an impossibility) Ham is out of it.

Must win for webber really, will Vettel be a knob as usual ?

Even 2nd will hand it to Alonso

Dont care about team orders, no different to trailer home orders that mark and seb will be getting this weekend, I just wanna see the best man win and that for me is (ouch it hurts but I am a man of truth) Fernado so I will be wearing my red t-shirt :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv2R2fddDBw

pmsl

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

Being a sporting kind of chap I hope someone takes Alonso off at the first corner, preferably Red Bulls favoured driver leaving Webber to cruise home in third place after Hamilton and Button. If my maths stack up that'll give Webber the title which if he's smart he'll take off to another team because there's no way Red Bull will let him scupper their plans for a second year running.

Just a thought.... cheers.gif

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Yeah - I would steer WELLL clear of Vettel on sunday.

Ham can only win if the top 3 get an abismal finish - if alonso gets any points I think Ham is out of it.

Web needs Alo to finish 3rd or less if he wins, basically he needs to be winning or at least 2nd to stand a prayer IF alonso finishes.

Vettel...well he needs to hope ^ them two wipe out.

facebook = [email protected]

Giant Ferrari amoeba attacks Abu Dhabi, race cancelled!ferrari-world-abu-dhabi.jpg

Ferrari fined $100,000 for "Team Orders" infraction, as Alonso is awarded 2010 driver championship by default. Maranello crowd smirks its way back to airport while unsuccessfully attempting to stifle muffled guffaws. Vettel pitches hissy fit, as Webber lodges protest. Ecclestone calls for complete investigation, vows to penalize Ferrari 10 grid positions in Bahrain in 2011.

Alonso as a young boy........

ferrari-world-abu-dhabi-3.jpg

Encouraging that the Cardigan Cowboy and Hormone Replacement Teams were both behind the Mean Green machines. Let's hope it remains that way and Lotus get the 10th place money which will help a lot next year. (off topic, I know, but..... Mr B, get on with making the roadcars and let Mr F and Mr G get on with the racing... we don't want everyone to end up in tears, do we?)

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

So........the race has been over for hours now, and not so much as a single snippy comment on Alonso's being held back in the mid field for the last half of the race by a very determined Russkie trying to keep his day job (imagine that), and Ferrari ending the season on a bit of a sour note. But at least the "team orders" shenanigan earlier in the season changed the final standings not a whit.

And boy racer Vettel continues his string of late season impeccable performances to claim the youngest driver championship ever, adding the piece de resistance to Red Bull's constructor's title. Well done, young man, and is it true that the Yas Marina circuit has been renamed "The Vetteldrome"?

Team Lotus hangs on to 10th place, and the bucks that come with it. Yippeeee! Now lets hope those fools doing battle in the English High Court get a grip on reality and pool their efforts and newly earned "windfall" funding into a mutual enterprise that will put the moniker in its proper grid position for 2011.

I must admit that, every time the camera went back to Alonso, I said to myself that I couldn't believe that Alonso was still behind Petrov. Great drive by the Russian. Apparently, Alonso showed his sportsmanship after the race by making a rude gesture to Petrov on the slowing-down lap. Funny. I though it was Alonso's place to get past him. I didn't see Petrov weaving or anything.

What was going on with Truli's wings? First the front one broke. I assume someone drove over that. Then the rear one fell off. Not good for a car sponsored by an airline. Still a decent performance from Kovalainen to finnish ( B-) ) only 1 lap down. In aninterview on the Autosport web site, Tony Fernandes said he thought that Chapman would have been proud of the new team

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

If I was cynical I'd question why Mark Webber was called in for a tyre change so early.

It was obvious that when he came back out he'd be in traffic & lose a load places as the field was still so tight that early in the race.

Also a fair assumption that Alonso would shadow Webber (being his closest rival), leaving Vettel to build up a lead at the front so that when he came back out after his tyre change, the field would have spread out more & he'd only go down a few places instead of the dozen or so that that Webber/Alonso lost.

Vettel - winner by Red Bull tactics?

Will Webber stay with them next year?

• Like 1

Hooligan at heart.

If I was cynical I'd question why Mark Webber was called in for a tyre change so early.

Vettel - winner by Red Bull tactics?

Will Webber stay with them next year?

Imagine that? Red Bull bringing Webber in and dumping him in the middle of the M25 for the rest of the race.... what a stroke of luck Vettel was out in front! rolleyes.gif Interesting that both Webber and Alonso spent the rest of the afternoon stuck behind a pair of Renaults, another stroke of luck for Red Bull and pure coincidence that Red Bull happen to be running Renault engines I'm sure.

Webber must be looking elsewhere but there's little available and nothing on a parr with Red Bull, next year could well be spent adding to his pension fund before he either retires or takes a roll with a lesser team.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hulkenberg's off already...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=42608

Should Webber be looking through his contract? detective.gif

Am I alone in finding all the "new" circuits tedious? Comparing the Tilkerings with, say, Spa or Monza.....dull. At the beginning of the season I'm full of anticipation and edge-of-the-seat suspense...once we've had the "classics" my interest wanes...and I can't really get involved in these races held in the dark, or on tracks lined with armco and wire netting (like driving along corridors) or - worst of all - with huge tarmac run off areas so that driver errors go unpunished. Half the time they don't seem to bother to even try to get round the chicanes...just blast straight through. My feeling is that falling off the track should bring something final...or nearly so...not that I favour the cars being smeared all over the place and the drivers ditto, but anything which would cause the end of the race for the driver at, say, Monaco ought to have similar consequences everywhere. Being able to slide off and drive back on again isn't driver skill, or even luck....it's circuit design and encourages a totally different approach from the contestants which, imho, isn't appealing. I still hanker for the old "road" circuits....I'd love to see a F1 race around the mountain circuit at the Isle of Man, in the same way as the bikes, with a staggered start....but anywhere which gets close to "real" roads would do it for me. Billiard table surfaces and racing round a huge tarmac area with the track marked on by a few painted lines....how can that be the pinnacle of motor sport?

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The Austin Circuit will be using barb wire in lieu of armco, which ought to liven things up a bit. And, in a nod to the "organic crowd," the crash barriers will be filled with Longhorn manure, increasing driver incentive to avoid getting into deep.......erm.....

Well, you get the idea.

I said that as well somewhere else. Make excursions off the track fairly final or it costs you a heap of places to get back on track. (Something like gravel traps from touring car racing or the like)

I still like the idea of reversing the grid and making the good drivers with the faster cars get through the field,instead of the clinical, 'I got the whole shot at the start and now I'm in front. As long as something doesn't break, I win.'

Can someone tell me how come Vettel got away with leaving the huge gap to the safety car just before the restart the other night? I thought that gave you a drive through if you had more than 50 metres separation?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Roger, how many times do I have to tell you? Stay away from the mushrooms!:D

I agree with you, John. I can't understand why circuits continue to be designed by the same man to give us tracks where drivers can't overtake unless the driver in front makes a mistake. I, too, a annoyed when I see drivers with all 4 wheels off the track but losing no time.

Regarding Webber's early stop, he did suffer from going wide as it happened where the armco was close to the track. He gave it a good whack with his back wheel sending off a shower of sparks and, possibly, damaging the wheel leading to a puncture. I thought this was why he was brought in early. He certainly didn't look like a threat to Vettel where he was before the stop. I don't believe the team knew that Alonnso would be follow Webber in and then get stuck behind Petrov for so long. Likewise, I don't know what Renault owe to Red Bull that would make them extra helpful to them. Why should Petrov and Kubica have moved over to let the championship contenders through? I didn't see Petrov pull any nasty moves to keep Alonso behind. In fact, Petrov drove a great race with loads of pressure on him but never putting a foot wrong the whole time. Like most conspiracy theories, these don't stand up to much scrutiny.

Regarding the restart when the safety car came in, it looked that Vettel may have brake checked Hamilton and then floored it, leaving the Brit behind. I think the gap rule applies to following cars to stop a driver backing up the field to give his team mate an unfair advantage.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Ok Trevor. If Vettel brake checked Hamilton behind the safety car, isn't that a racing move and should not be allowed until after the safety car line? I know overtaking is not allowed until after the line, but surely that should apply to any move which could inhibit another drivers progression whilst not under race conditions?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

All drivers are created equal, but some are more equal than others.dry.gif