free hit
counters
dash - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure the dash panels were made during the period when Lotus went crazy with their new vacuum molding machine that allowed them to create a lot of unique parts :blink:

I don't think any other car used them. JAE motorsports ought to have them if you're in the US.

I've always thought something a little classier would look nice, maybe fabricated out of metal. One rainy day I might try that.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Jeff,

You'll be VERY lucky to find one. THey are unique to the Esprit and I've been looking for a couple of years. Mine was cracked and missing a couple of corners so in the end I machined one out of aluminium as a temporary measure until I could find an original. SJ Sportcars was looking into re manufacturing them out of fibreglass but I don't know what stage that's at.

Good luck and if you find two, let me know!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Nice work Troy,

Can you post / mail the dimensions? You have made a template that you can share, I suppose. The material between the large rings and the smaller instruments should be very thin, right?

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Jimmy, yours might need a boost guage remember :)

looks great troy :)

I think I might just make mine out of aluminum.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Jimmy, yours might need a boost guage remember :)

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh, that's why it's not so cramped... so there is a wider gap between the instruments... :)

Ciao,

JB

Frank (Sports Car World) in Texas remakes a lot of ABS parts - there was talk a while back that he might make the instrument surround - maybe check with him?

But I'd much rather have the veneer! Troy - that looks awesome - I want to do something like that for my white car . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Guest Troy Halliday

I did wonder if there would be any interest for custom esprit dahses it was quite fun. The biggest problem I had was the whiite lettering for the heater matrix on the right hand side of the S3 dash. I could no longer buy white letraset. But can have it made bespoke so that it looks completely authentic. I had mine engraved through the vaneer to the metal base plate . I chose Burr elm because it is reder than modern walnut which tends to be a lot blacker. I finnished it with a few coats of acrylic clear paint and moped it up.

That cheapy ABS just does not look right! Hiding the satin black rings of the SMITHS, also...

Burr Elm is a great choice of yours.

Ciao,

JB