free hit
counters
Driveshaft Installation - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Driveshaft Installation

Guest modifiedv8engines

Guest modifiedv8engines

Hi All

About to install my driveshafts ( gearbox rebuilt + new seals etc) but recall a forum post recommending cleaning the driveshaft splines and coating with silicone to help prevent leakage

Seems to be nothing about this in the service manual but there again the manual is a bit skant on useful information anyway.

Cheers

Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul,

Been a bit quiet recently - glad to hear that things are progressing.

The suggestion was from Günter, as a work-around in case you didn´t wish to replace the oil seals and o-rings. If you have fresh seals, then you should be fine.

Just remember to degrease the ends of the roll pins and apply a dab of RTV on the ends to seal them.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

With the Quaife LSD, you need to coat everything with silicone since the output shafts on the diff don't have a groove for the O-ring. When I was having mine fitted I explained this to my garage but they said that they do it anyway - apparently there had been a service bulletin from Lotus recommeding that procedure for all boxes.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I certainly hope that most people use neutral cure silicone as the normal stuff releases a hell of a lot of strong acetic acid as it cures. I have seen many gearbox (industrial) cover mating surfaces badly pitted by the use of silicone.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Guest modifiedv8engines

Hi All and thanks for your responses

Driveshafts now installed ( dry) and will degrease roll pins and seal up as you suggest Mike.

Been a bit of a long drawn out fix/rebuild/improve type job but engine and transaxle mostly in with just a few pipes to connect up before firing up. ( Weather here has not been conducive for under vehicle skirmishes and working outside means it needs to be dryish to get on with the install)

No doubt there will be other problems to follow .................cant seem to find any recommendations about building up oil pressure/priming the the oil system before starting.

I know normal method is to remove leads from ignition coils and spin over on the starter but this isnt feasable with this design. Intake penum off etc etc

A tip here for anyone needing to remove their engine - recommend leaving on the power steering pump pipes.

Dont remove the pipes from the filler resevoir as its a bastard of a job to feed the 90 degree rubber hose through two thickness of GRP and trying to thread this through a plastic grommet that has exactly the same ID and the rubber pipe has OD. There is about an inch clearance between the inner GRP panel and the fuel tank so a bit.............. tight.

Another case of one department designing and installing one component without regard for the technician or other poor unfortunate that is trying to fix something.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good to hear that you are close to firing the engine.

There are two methods that I have used with good results to establish oil pressure quickly:

- remove the plugs to zero compression and disable starting. The starter will turn the engine much faster like this !

- use a simply link pipe to remove the oil cooler circuit from initial start-up

I´ve found oil pressure is established within 4-5 <10 second pulses on the starter.

You can add the oil cooler circuit back in later, but remember to adjust the oil level accordingly.

Also make sure that your battery is fully charged before starting.

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Guest modifiedv8engines

As usual Mike, thanks for the sound advice.

Spark plugs out seems to be the most straightforward option so will go with that once I have connected up the last few pipes

Just got to wait until the weather breaks so I connect up the power steering pipe , a/c, and oil cooler + a few electrical sensors etc and if all goes well .............just in time for some snow !!

Cheers

Paul

If you remove the plugs are you planning to ground them? I've always read that it's a bad idea to fire an electronic ignition without grounded plugs. Not sure if it's because it could damage the ECM (which would be very expensive) or simply as a precaution against having random sparks shooting around.

Alternatively just remove the fuse for the injectors, though as Mike says the engine will turn over a lot more slowly if the starter is fighting the compression. Also, only run the starter for short blasts, allowing it to cool down in between if necessary.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

As you have to remove the plug sockets to remove the plugs, just leave them disconnected.

There are a bunch of ways to disable the firing, but the key is to enable the starter to spin quickly and get the pump up and running.

Keep us posted on you progress Paul.

Cheers,

Mike S