free hit
counters
Zero to no licence in 4 secs - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Zero to no licence in 4 secs

South Africa has just introduced new legislation whereby if you exceed the town 60 kph speed limit by 30 kph and open road limit of 120 kph by 40 kph it is immediate cancellation of ones driving licence.

This is not much fun for an Esprit driver. Just the other day on a run with a local all marques car club I was showing a clean pair of heels to a spirited E Type driver whan I looked at the speedo as I passed him. it showed a tad over 200 kph. Ouch. I would have lost my licence twice.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that, in the UK, exceeding 100 mph (pretty much equivalent to 160 kph) leads to an automatic loss of license unless you can make a good case that doing so would cause undue hardship.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I've been caught and 155mph and 128mph, the latter earning me a 56 day ban and the former earning a barrister a small fortune. There's not an arbitrary number for losing licence in the UK fortunately and you can always try your luck in the courts, oh and there are some sensible coppers who remember their training about 'discretion'.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Trevor I believe you are not far off the money with that statement as it is often stated usually in conjunction with the rest of the line about more than 30mph over the speed limit. i.e. 60mph in a 30mph up to 100mph in a 70mph. Bibs is the exception rather than the rule with those numbers!! They must have been an `interesting` pair of cases to listen to..... lucky (even if now poorer) boy.

Like Bibs says I know we have all had moments and been let off so there are still some nice ones out there. Last winter it was me in the wife`s 4 x 4 that had me pulled up as I blasted onto a motorway from a slip road in darkness and left the copper behind me in the overtaking lane with no choice but to pull me when I rapidly got to 95. After he was seen to pull me we had a nice chat and went on our ways.

My local county is Central Scotland Police and although the smallest in Scotland has some fairly major roads in it and my mate is the inspector of Traffic and my quoted figures are the general rule.

Oh and by the way for anybody driving up this way over festive period. The latest unmarked car in Central Region is a bog standard looking silver Focus that can light up the night sky with the lovely array of hidden stobes when required. Saw it for the first time the other day ruining somebodies day. The older dark blue Saab now retired.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

I also got stopped at 97 in a 50 on my way to Sparky's last year (you can see a theme here!) and ended up with 3 points and a £60 fine. Sparky got stopped by the same unmarked car in his Esprit the next week and the copper showed him the tape of me speeding! :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Another 'option' which is sometimes (not all the time) offered in the U.K. is for the offending driver to attend a driver awareness/rehabilitation day. The offending party can attend instead of having the 3 points pinned on their licence. As well as attending the course, the offender must also pay to attend the day (around £120) but will still be considerably less than the increase in Insurance premium at the next renewal. In the U.K. It's a bit of a 'no brainer' really. Attend the day, it's actually quite interesting, and maybe even learn something.

Bibs, you should have qualified to actually be Course Presenter by now. ;)

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Pffft - what are these 'speed limits outside towns' of which you talk?? :rolleyes:

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I find it impossible to stay within the idiotic limits imposed on us by the anally retentive incompetents who somehow get themselves the job.....these days, I have given up. I set the auto throttle and just steer!!!!! Of course, I get the true speed from the satnav as the instruments always over read by about 10% ! I have been charging around the Universe blithely ignoring The Limits for 40 odd years...still haven't crashed or hurt anyone...and it's cost me about £15 a year in fines, considered over the whole period. Sadly, thanks to the misapplication of modern electronics, those days are gone. I'm so pleased I had the chance to enjoy it all when it was possible..... one can drive very quickly without being an irresponsible maniac, it's all to do with time and place and all the variables .... just what the electronics are not programmed to do!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I don't know so much as to whether the electronic age gets one more tickets or not.

When I was a young shaver in the early 1960's, I managed to pick up 4 speeding tickets in 1 year and that was in the era when the fuzz would just have to follow you in the Wolseley or in one instance an Austin Westy with the regulation bell mounted on the front.

i think it was the driver of the Westminster that once he had me pull over, stepped out of his car and asked "where is the fire ladie".

In fairness though, when I was a late teenager, I did not have an progressive accelerator, I had a switch - it was either fully closed or fully open. thank God that I was only driving a side valved engine Hillman Husky otherwise I would not be here to bore you with this tale.

The problem with speeding (and other bits of motoring) legislation is that it's predicated on potential rather than actual problems. For instance, a good driver in an Esprit is far less likely to cause an accident at relatively high (and illegal) speed than a half-blind old bat who can't see over the steering wheel of the Micra and has the emergency responses of a supertanker. We have a lot of retirees here who should have their licences revoked - trouble is, the accidents they cause are often to others trying to dodge them.

Don't get me wrong - I'm no spring chicken and hope to be old one day too - and I respect my elders. But I've spent time learning how to drive quickly and safely (on race tracks) and am a member of the IAM, so take my driving responsibilities seriously. My PPL is a 'privilege' that requires currency training, whereas my driving licence is a 'right', and had I NOT chosen to have further training I'd not need retesting from age 17 to the time I croak.

I firmly believe that the PPL 'model' is a good one and should be adopted for drivers. Basic licence allows you to drive a modest hatch/saloon in good weather - want to drive after dark, in poor conditions, on motoways, in a high-powered vehicle and you need to be trained up to pass additional 'ratings'. Speed limits are aimed at the lowest common denominator, which penalises good drivers unjustly.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I got done for doing 35mph in a 30 limit and they said my speed was so excessive I could not opt for the training course so I ended up £60 lighter and 3 points on my licence. I still rage about it to whoever will listen particularly at insurance renewal where Admiral tried to charge an obsence mark up. I moved to Adrian Flux who took a much more sensible view and even charged me less than the previous years insurance so I suppose I won in the end.

I did this course last year, 35mph in a 30 zone. Cost vary around the country, i paid £60 for mine. I was shocked by some of the attitudes of some people on the course, serial offenders with points being racked up then wiped after 5 yrs and then more points.

The discussion on motorcyclists was scary two old fogies argued thats its a motorcyclists fault if you cant see them approach when you are at a junction, one said if i cant see them they are going too fast, even if its within the speed limit thats too fast and they should go slower so the car driver has chance to see them!!! wtf these people are out there on the road, blind as a bat to anything other than whats 12 feet in front of them.

We had people complain that there are never enough signs in a town to tell you its 30 mph lol.

The debabte around 3rd gear for 30 was fun too. Too many people aruged it was diffcult to drive at 30 and that 35 was a much better speed for their car. Muppets the lot of them. Since then i have been pretty zealous about the drive at 30 mph in towns, i have been tailgated through city centres , flashed for being to slow and thats after just passing pedestrian crossings.

Other oddities - some thought the hard shoulder on the motorway had 40 mph limit.

Many didnt know that HGVs had different limits to cars and that getting road rage because the 40 tonner in front is slow doesnt help. The lorry isnt slow he is doing his limit.

When I did a few hours with an advance instructor via work related driving. He kept saying 30, 40, 70 etc is a limit. Not a target to be attained as fast as possible. Hmmm, wasnt impressed with my 0-60s in the BMW 328 we were driving.

If we stuck to 30 the speed hump phenomenon wouldnt have happed, cant turn back time now. The instructors said the lobby group for 20 mph in all built up areas is gathering momentum because the number of speeders at 30 mph isnt going down.

final pearl of wisdom from the course was that road rage has a ripple effect, you piss other drivers off, they they drive badly, annoy someone else and hey presto 20 miles from the original incident someone else has a prang because the rage rippled out.

I'm 52 years of age with a clear record and was caught at 104 mph on the motorway(conditions perfect) last year, 5 points and £300 fine, insurance charged me an average of £30 for every vehicle I'm named named on (4), I now drive like a pensioner at the exact limit with mothers with their kids flying past me in their citroen picassos . I am so pissed of at this I will probably sell my car in the new year as there is no fun with it anymore

And then you have the self appointed police. My village has a 30 mph limit and several years ago a new neighborhood came into being around the block. The speed limit on that neighborhood is the same 30 mph, but the people there have several SLOW DOWN - CHILDREN signs posted on the street edge since they think the limit should be 10 mph so their kids can play in the street, rather than their backyards or they don't feel they need to watch them. (they never seem to use the sidewalks either and occasionally are found roller blading or skateboarding in the middle of the street (not against traffic so they can see)with headsets basting mp3 tunes.. Well I always obey the limit within the village, but I was following this guy through his neighborhood on the way home (not tailgating mind you) and he continues to slow down , slower. slower until when he goes to turn into a driveway he is really crawling and I move out and around him. Well next thing you know he chases after me and then approaches me in my driveway trying to give me a bullying ration of crap that I'm speeding and he'll get the police . I told him first I most surely wasn't speeding and I thought he was truly lost by the speed he was travelling through the neighborhood. I also told him I always slow down if I observe children but otherwise the speed limit is 30mph and I have no reason to fear the police and go ahead and go call them.. He then took off never to be heard from again ( I did see radar a few times after that checking on people but I had nothing to fear). Yes, some teens do speed through the neighborhood, but I think these people want a 10 mph private drive for their kids to play in. It's been maybe 5 years now and the limit is still the same and they are not going to get their "special" neighborhood zoned different. My wife does not like to go that way from the dirty looks she occasionally gets driving though at 25 mph and I told her I won't be bullied and stare right back. (it's a public way and not a private drive).I think the police finally got tired of the "chicken little" residents with the police's own collected data supporting the masses are going the limit or under and there are only a few occasional teen exceptions speeding. nuke.gif

Edited by comem47

You guys have it easy in the UK. Here, in Melbourne, Australia, 25kph (15mph) over the speed limit is automatic licence suspension.

How about 0 to nothing in 4 sec!

Last month RCMP here seized and auctioned a Ferrari Scuderia and a BMW M6 that were caught doing roughly 140km/h OVER the posted speed limit. blink.gif

Details here... Clicky

Have to say I agree completely with the authorities. 60kph is equiv to a 40 mph zone and 200kph would be 125mph.

I don't care what "arguement" is used to justify this (with the most common being "driving to the conditions of the road") 85mph over the speed limit in what from reading the article is a town/built up road is down right unacceptable.

Coupled to the fact they were alledged to be racing makes this even worse.

Doing three times the limit here and I think you'd have to work very hard to avoid a stay at her majesty's pleasure.