free hit
counters
Milton Keynes rolling road day results thread - Page 2 - Events - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Milton Keynes rolling road day results thread

jase7678

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well folks, looks like that's all for today... we're going to head over to Stratstone Lotus on the other side of MK for a quick photo call outside the showroom :blink:

Looking forward to the banter this evening... :D

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

Nice to meet everyone today, big thanks to Jason and Martyn for organising it, and to the guys at Marlin for giving us a great day.

Looking forward to reviewing the footage that Martyn & Jono took, hopefully the soundtrack will be delicious :blink:

I've just refreshed all the images posted earlier as it looks like they were being compressed when transferred across the 3G network... gits :P Do a shift+F5 to reload the pages and they should come up a good bit clearer. Learning point for next time :D

Dan.

Dan

Guest Chelsea Martyn

Massive thanks to all who came along yesterday; I hope that everyone got home safely.

I was chuffed that my V8 left Hethel with 350bhp, and still has 350bhp.

However, by removing cats, and putting straight pipes on makes 37bhp gain, as demonstrated by Neil's V8 and until Neil arrived, I was happy winning the day :P

Bernard's Fezza made an awesome sound on the rollers and had he been able to get the forced air induction needed from the side air scoops would have been much higher on the BHP.

A great day and could not have run smoother if we tried.

On a final note, all those who attended need to PM me with their addresses so I can mail the DVD to them.

We had a house full last night with Red, Jono, Dan and Georgina, Jason, Sam and myself watching the raw footage and despite the camera being feet away from the back ends of the cars, no distortion whatsoever came across on the digital audio track.

When you get the DVD.... crank up the volume!

Superb day... ahhh! :D

Edited by Chelsea Martyn

Guest Chelsea Martyn
Great Day, big thanks to Jason and Martyn.

Well worth the trip. :P

And hey it has to break sometime :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More than welcome.. great to see you.

Jason and myself are planning to organise pulling fat women next... should be a piece of cake :D

Jason / Martyn,

Thanks for organising the day - great fun. Was impressed when my S4s blew away the exhaust extractor!

Jason - as mentioned really impressed with your SE - now has the same power as a S4s. I now need to spend some money to upgrade mine to keep ahead of you!

Hope to see you guys soon

Alan

'Hello you boys, hope you enjoyed your rolling road...'

(hehe) :D

Absolutly knackerd...think I said everything to everyone I met on the day - great meet, superb organisation from the roller guys and the peeps on the deck.

Terrific weekend out, wicked cars - need more of these !

Over the moon with 252BHP (can't believe I got everything back together and nothing fell off) - Both the freescan readings will be published on my webby somtime soon with some graphs - anyone wants a copy they are only 600KB in size so I can e-mail them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just had a detailed look at my 'run' freescan report.

Noticable issues are the difference where the roller and the ECU say the guy lifted his foot off. The soller suggest 5915rpm, the ECU says 6383rpm with a lift off at 6030rpm.

You can also plot a nice graph against throttle position sensor and boost pressure.

One thing I also noticed is my car boost flutters about the exact same time as the power curve takes a tiny fluctuation at about 5000rpm.

Maximum boost is reached at about 5500rpm and then takes a sudden dip until about 5700rpm where it picks up again only to be lett off the throttle just shy of maximum.

The car was actually picking up power again - I suppose this was a wastegate issue as the wastegate solenoid pulse width is being slowed down to open the wastegate - this is perfectly mirrored by the power curve.

If this had not have happened (or been smoother) and the engine allowed to rev more, I reakon we could have been looking at an extra 5 horses there and perhaps 260bhp.

Think next time we'll get it to the rev limiter :P

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

Guest Chelsea Martyn

Forgot to say a huge thanks to Dan for running the live updates throughout the day!

There were more peeps who made the day apart from Jason and Myself.....

Thanks in no order...

Dan the man... 3G live link to the forum and uploads of the stills.

Martin and his team... For hosting the event, the coffee from the lurlee ladies, the food etc.

Paul Mr M5 himself... The birth of the idea having found this superb and accurate rolling road.

Manek... Piston Heads for the article he published at my request that generated focus.

Jono... For the freescan results.

Rob Smallshaw... Stratstone Lotus for the warm invitation for the post gathering.

Red.. Superb stills.

Finally...YOU WHO CAME... FOR MAKING THE DAY TOTALLY SUPERB.

NO THANKS WHATSOEVER

Moody cow and greased up fringe boy in Burger King... For expecting a quiet afternoon and not appreciating over

If anyones interested I have spun together an assesment on the rolling road vs ECU data I have. I'll update it with more graphs later (inc injectors, road speed etc)

Clicky

Jason - if you want me to have a look at yours lemme know - if you use the 2nd sheet they gave you you can plot your own power / torque graph on excell using their figures. You can see your car adjusting for a few knocks at over 4000rpm and adjusting the firing angle back and forth.

Certainly running more boost than mine, you can see the ECU at some I wonder if you got around the firing angle how much more umph the engine would put out ?

Edited by Jonathan

Bernard's Fezza made an awesome sound on the rollers and had he been able to get the forced air induction needed from the side air scoops would have been much higher on the BHP.

Superb day...  ahhh! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't feel too upset about not getting the air to the Ferrari. It wouldn't make much difference. At 150 mph you would get only about 30 mbar extra pressure, worth about 10 hp.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

What an excellent day :D

Alan, I'm going to put the stock chip back in and run that on the rollers. Top HP I'm happy with but my max torque was some 3000 rpm higher than the factory have it. I would like to see how much power I lose going back to the old chip. Thanks for your comments, I look forward to seeing the results of your mods :P

Jono, please do analyse my freescan and don't forget to send them both to Dermot.

Andy, glad your car got you back in one piece.

All, good to see you again or meet you for the first time.

Jason

Land Rover Discovery II & waiting on next Esprit

Jason - before you take the chip out and dyno it again you need to look at your power/torque graph vs throttle position. The idea of this dyno imo was to ascertain the MAXIMUM values.

If you look at my graph on my site you'll see he never floored the throttle until about 4000rpm, personally I would expect the turbo not to be correctly spooled so as with my car you see the maximum values appear closer to the end of the rev range.

Only way to get around this is to idle the car and max throttle from idle...for safety / time reasons I would expect this was not entirely possible on the day, you could see how much time was spent on getting some of these cars to read propperly on the rollers.

Also if you want me to look at the freescan you need to scan/e-mail me your graph or punch the numbers into excell and plot your own so I can put the freescan graphs along side - again see my site for more info.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guest Chelsea Martyn

I am chuffed with that article!

Manek (PH) has done me proud for the second time.

Cheeky maybe, but as I organised the original article... thought fitting my V8 goes in the article too :)

Edited by Chelsea Martyn

The Ferrari and Noble have just been, but we have concerns that without side fans to blow air into their intakes, they're not getting the full ram effect, but we're not 100% sure on the impact this is actually having...  :P

Given - where does an Esprit take it's air... ram effect usually only occurs at a certain velocity~rpm anyway depending on angle and length of the intake. :)

The GTO-3R does look a bit low but Fezzas known for over-quoting the manufacturer figs as do TVR.. :) both cars shoudlhave been red to detract from all their blushing.. :P

Good work guys - some of the V8 and 350 figs were very impressive. B)

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

I am chuffed with that article!

Manek (PH) has done me proud for the second time.

Cheeky maybe, but as I organised the original article... thought fitting my V8 goes in the article too :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well done Martyn, good publicity and positive coverage for the Esprit. Can't blame you at all for choosing your own car picture! :)

Dan.

Dan

• 1 month later...

:blink: ... Not as well as your S3 compared to stock. Is your S3 heavily modified and what year is it ?

Hi guys ,

new here but i've just been to a RR day at marlin and achieved 335bhp in my Audi S3 .Seems like you lotus guys did very well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>