free hit
counters
Can the fiberglass crack in the cold weather? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Can the fiberglass crack in the cold weather?

Hi All,

Just wondering your thoughts, as it is currently -15 degrees up north in the UK, is it possible for the Esprit fiberglass shell to crack from being either too cold or having a layer of snow/ice frozen over? As mine is currently frozen over, is it safe to start the engine (just to warm the engine rather than drive it) as I am worried about the cars shell shaking (as it does when its idle) while frozen?

Also is it safe to drive an esprit on icy roads? Can it handle the ice?

Please let me know your thoughts... Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bodyshell will be fine, unless you've got some other damage which has allowed water into the fibres. A lot of Artric equipment is made from the stuff. As for driving in the ice and snow, it's not a particularly capable car without the correct tyres on. Wide summer tyres on a relatively lightweight car will always struggle for traction and you can end up with it wheelspinning slowly on tickover with little chance of forward motion, let alone having enough grip to stop again.

A decent set of winter tyres will transform it into a usable car.

I find that the problem with driving your pride & joy on snow/ice is that you have no control over the other motorists who often use other people's cars to help them stop - Leave it at home and buy a 1971 Saab 96, for some classic winter driving!

• 3 months later...

YESSSS, it is possible.

The most probable high stress area is along the upper corners of the front boot opening. Usually cracks start

from the latch claw slots and go along the upper edge, around the corner and forward.

The other high stress spot is @ rr quarter sail joint, just to the rear of the qtr window, in front of the fuel filler flap.

If you open the flap and look at the paint there, you may see a hair line cracks between two overlaping panels.

Always been told to try and not expose fiberglass to constant temperature swings above and below freezing as it will result in stress cracks.