free hit
counters
Poll: Who will you be cheering for in 2011? - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Poll: Who will you be cheering for in 2011?

Bibs

Click for poll

Vote in the poll on our website now!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Voted for Both.Looks like we will be seeing 4 Black & Gold cars next year if the picture with the Lotus Renault press release is to be believed.

As I said elsewhere...two teams of black and gold "Lotus" cars with the same Renault engine...at this rate, they'll be able to run their own series!! It will be interesting to see which goes best, and who the drivers of the Lotus Renault will be..are they keeping the same as the Renault team?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Toughie.

Lets say you have been rooting for Lotus racing for the last year, put some emotional involvement into it, got some merchandise etc. Now you have an official Lotus team to follow instead. Are you going to put aside the team you have been following and go with the new boys with the right logo on the front of the car?

I know thats the point of the poll but I feel like I should be now following the new team!

Edited by Nelly9000

Well if they pick one of my designs, I reckon 'Team Lotus'.

My mate and I thought today, seeing the new Group Lotus F1 car, it could work in our design colour scheme favour. As the Group Lotus car is black and basically pinstripe, then I wouldn't have thought Lotus Racing would want to go the same route, so more gold colour scheme might be the alternative option, so they don't look the same on the grid.

I like the Lotus Racing team for their way of approaching entering F1, start from the ground and work your way up. I also like the look of the new Group Lotus car, but anyone with enough money can 'buy' their place on the front of the grid, but it's not really been earned.

The problem with the whole Lotus F1 thing for me is the core of the team. In the old days of Lotus Cars and Team Lotus, I followed and supported them as a team and brand because the fundamental thing behind both Team Lotus and Lotus Cars was Colin Chapman, I was an admirer of the man and what he had achieved. After his death, although I still love the brand and Team Lotus, the main piece in the jigsaw was missing, hence Team Lotus finally no longer a player and ending, and Lotus Cars going from pillar to post with several owners not really appreciating what they had or have.

Lotus Racing, Tony Fernandes and Mike Gascoyne are perhaps the closest you can get to the original concept of Lotus in F1, a team up against the big boys, but have the guts and determination to make it work and win. Look at the original Team Lotus, their early years were very poor regarding results, but then the team found the formula, plus having a genius at the helm helped and the rest is history.

The Group Lotus approach seems to be, here's a big pile of money, let's buy a team at the front of the grid, which doesn't earn for me personally as much respect as working harder for an F1 title. I always find if you work harder for something you really want, you appreciate it a lot more.

Edited by OwenGT3
  • Like 1

Not so tough,

As long as there is no real team Lotus (Official Group Lotus F1 team from Norfolk, not a Malaysian team with yellow and green paint or Renault with black and gold livery)

I still cheer for McLaren and Williams. Current Lotus wannabees are not sustainable, one stops being Lotus F1 when they run out of the 30mil and the other is again just

a Malaysian car with yellow and green paint.

Real Team Lotus is the racing outfit on the other side of Potash lane,

• Like 1

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Real Team Lotus is the racing outfit on the other side of Potash lane,

On paper sure BUT..... the other Malaysian team have a real passion, they've proved that time and time again this season. The car's been the best of the newbies, the driver's are doing a good job Tony Fernandes and Mike Gascoyne have proved themselves to be real movers and shakers. As Owen said they've got the guts and determination to make this work, there's far more to that team that a heritage paintjob and the team's earned a lot of respect on and off the track.

The 'official' team really needs to pull something out of the bag, so far all they've done is paint a French car black and gold! What we don't need is another dull corporate dull team, which is exactly what Renault have become since Flav was moved on.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I Agree that the Malaysian team has the right passion and spirit, but so does many other teams, and that doesn't make them Lotus.

Although I like the outfit of Tony Fernandez, I would only regard them as the official Lotus team if they would be part of the Group Lotus.

As McLaren en Ferrari are saying to be able to run a F1 team on the long run you need to build roadcars to fund your racing,

and make the most of the brand value, what are Team Lotus going to do, start a small car brand somewhere in Norfolk?

Somewhere in Proton / Malaysian government they made some not so clever mistakes.

Again Danny should have used all his marketing money on buing a stake in Tony's team.

And let Tony run the team. Opposed to spend marketing money on some strange arty short films, IndyCar, LMP etc...

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Should be interesting at the Lotus Festival this year! Maybe we will see them run against each other on the newly extended Snetterton track. It would be hard to top last years event with the unique historic collection that was gathered there.

As McLaren en Ferrari are saying to be able to run a F1 team on the long run you need to build roadcars to fund your racing

There is some truth in what you are saying, but what about Williams? or possibly even Red Bull? Lotus don't currently build enough cars to be able to fund an F1 team which is why they are 'badge engineering' a Renault.

When Danny and Co, fail to get results within the first couple of months they'll come out with all sorts of marketing smokescreens which will be soaked up by the sheep following them..... don't let yourself go 'baa, baa'. With two teams bearing the name there is great potential for one loser and that will be 'Lotus'.

You've got to give Fernandez and Gascoyne a chance... they've only been at it a year.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Its all rubbish. That will be Lotus, nee Renault, nee Benetton, nee Toleman. Team Malaysia at least started out as Lotus Racing. You could stick a badge on my c**k and call it Lotus.

Its all badge engineering and it aint Lotus, either of them.

Its more like an engine formula. Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari, Cosworth. Build an engine Lotus? Not likely. Build your own chassis? Not likely.

Regulations that make all cars look the same. Bah Humbug. Its not a sport, its a commercial entity.

Its a mute point. I dont care for either. Fools paradise. I vote for.................................Williams :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

You could stick a badge on my c**k and call it Lotus.

I like your 'lightweight' philosophy! :lol::P

You're right. F1 cars are considered to be an advertising horading which travels very quickly and I think even in the definition of the business they are referred to as that.

Anyway, DB is pleased Fernandes is still out there with his name - Check out this autosport article.

Edited by USAndretti42
Added link

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hmmm. Lightweight eh :D

I wish them all good luck. I would rather have more than less. Stick a couple of up and coming brits in the cars and then we would have something to cheer about ;)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I don't understand the fanatical obsession with group lotus... group lotus split from team lotus decades ago so the link is simply not there.

It would have been very easy for TF to brand his team as a malasian outfit but the guy is passionate about what he's doing. To me he's tried to do things the right way in restablishing Team Lotus in F1 and from what I've seen the current Team Lotus is more akin to what I would prefer to see as Lotus rather than muscling in with a huge was of cash. All I see from Group Lotus these days is "look how expensive everything is we must be good" and thats hardly in keeping with the traditions

• Like 1

I don't understand the fanatical obsession with group lotus... group lotus split from team lotus decades ago so the link is simply not there.

ACBC is the link, there's no denying it.

Anyway, the poll is up to 97 votes, here are the results so far...

Who will you be cheering on in 2011?

• Team Lotus aka Lotus Racing (37%, 36 Votes)
  • Lotus Renault GP aka Group Lotus (31%, 30 Votes)
  • Both (28%, 27 Votes)
  • Neither (4%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 97

Evora NA

I've read in an Autosport article posted elsewhere that Dany B agrees with the 28% supporting both - that's what he says he's doing.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

And why not? He gets the "free" publicity from Tony's efforts, regardless of whether or not he enters his own team. It's just that now he (Dany) has to cough up (from Proton's Malaysian taxpayers' deep pockets one supposes--do you see some irony here?) beaucoup hard cash to fund his "alter ego" (emphasis on "ego") Malaysian team, cleverly[?] disguised as a French franchise.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Evora NA

Proton chairman Datuk Seri Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh has stressed that Group Lotus had every right to be a F1 title sponsor as it not only owned the rights to the Lotus name but also manufactured sports cars.

Sounds as though the lawyers have advised on the formula one naming rights

It's interesting that some Lotus fans will support the team racing Renault chassis rather than the team racing Lotus chassis this coming season. Shows how confusing it all is.

On the bright side, the battle just goes to show how strong the Lotus brand is in racing circles, strong enough to have two teams fighting over the name. That is surprising.

The former prime minister's complaint that Lotus did not perform well enough is, frankly, a sign that he doesn't know what he is talking about. Admittedly, their reliability was not as good as it should have been but that was certainly not helped by the late grant of an entry to the team. In many ways, Renault were more of a disappointment with their efforts being flattered by the brilliance of Robert Kubica who must be looking for a better drive and is rumoured to be moving to Ferrari in a year or two.

The Lotus tradition is to achieve results through hard work, skill and ingenuity rather than throwing money at a problem. While expect the Renault to be quicker than the Lotus next year, 2012 could be different.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

If Proton is so hell bent on Lotus placing on the pointy end of the grid in its inagural season, why not just buy Red Bull and be done with it? That they would express dissatisfaction with Team Lotus' first season's results demonstrates a near complete ignorance of the difficulties of the sport in general, and a specific lack of understanding of the term "accumulated experience." Purchasing the "pole position" outright would certainly work to their advantage, but would blantantly cheapen the accomplishment. An "earned" win through blood, sweat and tears is infinitely more rewarding and satisfying to the fans.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Hum! Once again Proton proves how incompetent their top management is! So they granted a 5 year contract to Tony and came back on their decision after 9 months !?

These guys haven't got a clue how this industrie works or am I stupid! This is not so shocking when you know that Proton may be merged soon to their local rival cause they can't reach their objectives ! For all we know Proton may change their mind in nine months again!

My support goes to the Norfolk Team Lotus! They are doing it right!

The sad thing is nobody knows where Renault is going even with Lotus as top sponsor they won't have enough money to develop the car and will have to rely on a "ride buyer"

ok this is actually not true, Petrov hasn't bought the seat but almost!