free hit
counters
Exige Short Shifter Fun - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige Short Shifter Fun

ronin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need the clutch to get it off the line. After that going up, yank from first to neutral, of the throttle, into second back on it, and do on up the box, take your time initially, be ready yo use the clutch, (don't crash the gears) get the hang of it before being brave!

Down, from 5th to neutral, blip throttle into 4th, and so on, again take your time be, ready to use the clutch, but just let the synchros do their job.

Be gentle, treat it like a woman until you get used to it, then go for it. :devil: You'll be amazed as to how much time you can chop off 0-60.

Next is what to do with your now redundant left foot.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Yeah you now use your left foot to kick yourself in the ass for takin that advice with a new gearbox.... This ain't no tractor..rofl.gif

Come on, if I can do it with a 20 year old Renault box and an ?? cable linkage, you can do it with an Exige, I've only been getting back into it after surgery on my legs, and haven't crashed the gears yet. The left foot is for braking, but leave that a while.

I'm moving on to blipping the throttle whilst cornering, to keep the turbo boost up thereby reducing the lag, for quicker exit. (an Ayrton Senna developed technique) wanna see if I can do it too.

Go on give it go ! :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

That's some piece of scaffolding you've got there!! As for clutchless gearchanges, all a matter of timing...thing is to start off by moving your left foot just as if you were using the clutch, but keep it away from the pedal...then all the throttle movements feel natural and it all works! After a bit, you can stop moving the left foot about and you have the technique off pat. I don't suggest learning on your magnificent beast...something old and cheap is the way to start, but the system does work....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Many years ago I had the clutch slave cylinder seal give out on my Esprit S2 with Citroen box about 50 miles from home and it let me know right off that I better start off in 2nd (shut car off at toll booths). It was a miserable experience, but I managed to up and down shift 2-3-4 when there was no load and I promised the car that was the only time that would happen. On the other hand, my 1981 VW Rabbit (back when that happened) I often drove around without using the clutch (it was soooo smooth and a real pleasure to shift clutch-less)

Come on, if I can do it with a 20 year old Renault box and an ?? cable linkage, you can do it with an Exige, I've only been getting back into it after surgery on my legs, and haven't crashed the gears yet. The left foot is for braking, but leave that a while.

Doesn't make it right though. I've driven track boxes that don't like clutchless and some that do. It varies from driver to driver and car to car. My personal preference is that unless its a dog box with angled off engagement gears then a dab of the clutch (even a half press) can really reduce the drivetrain and gearbox shock making the change quicker.

It's kinda like Frank's steering wheel technique - he's had a lot of abuse over and it's not what I'd do but obviously works for Frank so I wouldn't say its wrong.

I'm moving on to blipping the throttle whilst cornering, to keep the turbo boost up thereby reducing the lag, for quicker exit. (an Ayrton Senna developed technique) wanna see if I can do it too.

Go on give it go ! :thumbsup:

Thats not how he did it. It was blipping the throttle in neutral just under braking. If you're trying to change gear whilst cornering then you'll have other problems as well as being slower.

I don't know about the advantages of downshifting under braking. You are slowing down anyway so losing drive for a short time while you shift gears is not an issue. What can be an issue is locking the back wheels if you misjudge the blip of the throttle to synchronize the revs. At Honda, we had several CART drivers who didn't use the clutch on downshifts and we even introduced an ECU strategy to help them match the revs. None of the drivers used the clutch on upshifts, by the way, but this was with a dog box.

I suspect that not using the clutch will kill the synchros in your box if you don't get it right.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Yup - agree with that.

But pro's and cons with both though.

- Going through the gears is easier to rev match but you have more to do.

- Doing one big downshift reduces workload but it's a massive blip.

I'm sure thats what senna was doing - shove the car in neutral, blip to keep turbo boost up and then slot in the gear just beofre end of braking zone.

Ronin,

What's the advantage with the short shifter? It's obviously closer to the wheel so less hand travel. I don't know the length of throw on an exige shifter, so I don't know how much you have gained there?

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

It's obviously closer to the wheel so less hand travel.

That's the high and low of it! (See what I did there! :lol:)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

What is a dead guy driven on a closed course gonna teach me about drivin in the real world, to take risks and but other lives in danger ?

40 years of doing it my way and gettin faster every time I do a mod works for me in the real world...... Who wants to be Senna...he's deadwhistle.gif

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

I don't think the dead thing is that relevant, Senna was one of the greatest drivers to have ever lived.

Being dead doesn't make him any worse, he's up there with Jim Clark who is also dead and one of the best, if not the greatest driver, ever. The current mortal state of aspirational figures doesn't really affect their legendary statuses and no-one can live forever.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Seriously guys everytime I post a video to show what can be done to make the little Lotus a better drivers car guys start in with oh look you should not move your hands on the wheel yet shuffle steering is a very safe style used by many real Rally racers and road racers just ask Mario [still alive]..... Now it's just look at his feet and why bother to use the clutch since it worked because I was too cheap to repair the syncro in the box......

I've been driven canyons for over 40 years and Lotus in those canyons since 1974 and my style has served me well from Stratos to Group B's to Exige so please let's talk about the inovations and not my foot placement or the color of my eyes....No one ever says look at the speed and smooth control without having to make corections mid corner due to loss of grip....Oh and no one notices the fact that I never cross the centerline ever......

This is not a how not to drive like a dead guy video but a look what can be done to improve the OEM sloppy shifter and watch how well it works....

Ok I'm done,

Cheers

I think it's fast enough…maybe

I did ask you a question. Now I'm sad. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.