free hit
counters
New member from Oz - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt75

New member from Oz

Good morning gentlemen,

I've been lurking around here for a couple of months and thought I best make myself known.

I'm moving from Perth to Melbourne in the next week, and once settled, and pending successful negotiation of a release of suitable funds from the treasury, I will be looking to buy an '80s Esprit.

I've been watching the market for some time, and this has been for sale for a while.

S2.2 For Sale

I'm ideally after something that needs a bit of work, and this ticks that box nicely.

Before I start to take up any of the owner's time, I was hoping the collective wisdom might be able answer a question or two.

First of all I'm led to understand that this model was produced in rather smalll numbers and is beginning to become quite collectable. Is this the case?

My long term plan would be to do a full body off restoration to return it to it's former glory. I would hope to keep it original, however I am struggling a little bit with the colour. If it is in it's original brown, would future value/ desirability be affected by changing it to something less....well brown.

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Thanks, Matt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Matt,

Firstly welcome.

Secondly, Mmmmm - that car is really on its last legs - so a good rebuild opportunity.

57000kms - I dono't think so. Those seats have seen over 100000kms for starters. My cars done 70000kms and the interior is pretty close to new.

There's also another one on ebay at the moment which the owner has been trying to sell for pretty much a year now.

Ebay Esprit

This car has already had a rebuild, so might offer more value for money.

See how you go.

Simon, you missed the chopped roof on that S2.2. The car would now have the stifness of an over boiled noodle!

And agreed on the km. That clock would have gone over at least once.

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

That looks like a S3 to me. It has the S3 steering wheel, S3 Compomotive road wheel and, more importantly, S3 "ears" behind the side windows. The S2's were solid at the back but the S3 and Turbo drew air through the front and out the back.. Also it doesn't have an S2 engine cover or tonneau. There were many more S3s built than S2.2s.

However, the S3 had many good points. It had the S2.2 engine and good performance. It also had the later chassis with the rear, upper links which allowed the use of softer engine mounts to the betterment of the NVH. It had a galvanised chassis. It had the Triumph-based front suspension. Parts for the Opel-based S1/S2/S2.2 front suspension are a bit scarce while the front suspension can be refurbished with parts from Triumphs parts suppliers of which there are several.

That roof is dangerous taking all the strength out of the windscreen frame as well as adding sources for wind noise and leaks. Could be a decent project if that's what you want.

Thanks for the input guys. The roof was another concern that I forgot to mention in my first post. Would I be correct in the assumption that this is a bit of a deal breaker? Even at any price? I did assume that if it was a factory option, there would have been additional stiffening in the body and around the screen frame. The posts above suggest that this probably isn't the case.

The reason I'm after one needing a bit of love is that I derive as much pleasure in working on cars as driving them. I was a motor mechanic for over 10 years in my last career, so have a set of skills that I don't get to use as much as I would like to.

The quandary I'm in, is that I don't want to buy something that I'm not entirely happy with, but on the other hand, due to the apparent rarity of these cars in Australia, I could be waiting a long time for the right one to come along.

There was a very nice S3 Turbo recently for sale on the same website. It was in what appeared to be excellent condition and only asking $17000. The catch was that the engine was in bits. This would have been perfect, unfortunately it sold fairly quickly.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Cheers, Matt

Simon, you missed the chopped roof on that S2.2.

Yep, missed that.

Man, That roof is just Nasty !

Matt - Don't forget to drop in here every now and then. Sometimes nice cars pop up here and no where else.

Lotus Esprit Australia

Simon, you missed the chopped roof on that S2.2. The car would now have the stifness of an over boiled noodle!

And agreed on the km. That clock would have gone over at least once.

Too right. It drives ok without the expected excess of rattles and flex which surprised me. However there is obvious alignment and twist issues in the chassis/body upon close inspection.

How good are you with fiberglass repairs? Could be a prospect for restoration but do the sums.

I have a S2.2, and I cannot see an original part on that (if it is a S2.2) Looks a lot like a S3, and not a very nice one at that

Hmmm definitely starting to like like a potential world of pain. I think I might keep looking.

Thanks for the help chaps!

Don't forget to look at UK too, the exchange rate is in your favour and if done right shipping is quite reasonable too. As well as the classifieds here, take a look at www.autotrader.co.uk and also 'piston heads'. There's always more choice there but you have to be extra careful and do your homework. Remember phone calls are cheap and genuine sellers will almost always take the time to talk to you about their cars.

Welcome from sunny Coffs Harbour.

UK gives you more choice, also gives you more rust.

Also beware the Highwayman, federal and state, robbery with optional violence. Thieving bastards.

Now then Roger, you would do it all again given the opportunity. The weeks of worry and uncertainty, the hours of wrangling with customs brokers and import agents on the phone - It's all part of the experience and one day I'm sure you will do it again. Not all UK Esprits are riddled with rust, just most of them :harhar:

It's me that's supposed to be the cynical grumpy b'stard.

As you're prepared for a full body off restoration do have a look at the S3 that initially interested you. Once the body's off fixing the roof won't be impossible. It also had a bump on the front RH guard which split the upper and lower body seam.

He knocked back a much lower offer from me but might be more amenable to one now. Especially if he realizes it's got serious issues which require a full body off to fix properly.

Oh and one other thing. Despite the badging it's not a turbo, in case you couldn't see from the engine photo.

Edited by DanR

Hi Matt, just for your information, Lotus have NEVER made a car with a sun roof, only the Esprit's with the big glass roof panel that lift out and have two curved attachment toungs mounted on the front edge of the glass, and that is the only Type that has one, Never in the S1s or S2s.

Nick Fulcher.