free hit
counters
Lotus Watch - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Watch

Loteuk

For all those who own and appreciate this rare diversification of engineering excellence ................ who owns one? Is it worn proudly or is it a trophy cabinet queen?

The Lotus 'caliper' watch??

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Never seen one but it's a matter of time before Dany Bahar gets a serious watch company tie in with hi-tech and F1 inspired Richard Mille. In the meantime here's their Phillipe Massa Singapore Night Race edition... yours for a $100k.

felipe-massa-watch-richardmille-singaporegp-f1night.jpg

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

The funny thing is, Lotus don't own the trademark for watches, another 'Lotus' do so the car people can't make watches with 'Lotus' on them!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bob,

The watch was made and discontinued a few years ago, pretty rare now and most are in safe hands.

Tried to buy one at a live auction in Norwich a few years ago but my final bid was limp.

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

A watch with a 'Lotus' logo can't be made without the say so of the Lotus watch company.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

But it must cut both ways. The Lotus watch company can make watches with just the word "Lotus" but not the ACBC logo unless Group Lotus say so (I would think.)

(Group could authorize the Lotus watch company to make ACBC watches for them.)

Col would turn in his grave at Rich's perfectly over engineered heavyweight. whistle.gif

Couldn't be more wrong! Rich is a big F1 nut and he uses a lot hi tech materials, titanium, carbon etc. A colleague of mine has an RM010, it weighs about as much as a Swatch...just costs a little more.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Surely the Lotus watch company would make their watch with "Lotus" on it.

Group Lotus could then buy a stake in a different watch company and put their Lotus logo on, then take the Lotus watch company to court for using the word Lotus on it?

Oh hang on....

Edited by Nelly9000

That Lotus watch is a bit of a let down being quartz. I love watches but I can only really get into mechanical watches. There is such precision in their construction. You take apart a quartz watch and you just get a blob of enamel over a chip and a crystal, they don't have the same soul to them.

Around the time of the 50th anniversary back in 1998 there used to be a very nice chronograph with a gold case and a guilloche face if I remeber correctly. The price was around 12.000 German Marks (around 6000 EUR in today's money), a bit steep for most watch fans but nevertheless interesting. I never saw it in the flesh but was shown a picture by my Lotus dealer at that time who is a true watch afficionado. Just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this one before. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it in my collection and it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the internet either. Maybe it was just a prototype and never made it into production in the first place.

Got mine :thumbsup: but only wear it from time to time.

Bit worried about spares as Mat says .... strap is a bit of a worry because where you might source replacement screws i think getting a strap that looks right would be more of a problem.

If anyone does know about where you can get a replacement strap then please let me know and i might be keen to wear it more often because it does look great and generaly get the "nice watch" comments.

Around the time of the 50th anniversary back in 1998 there used to be a very nice chronograph

Well, before the caliper watch but after the 50th there was another watch - Stainless with a blue bezel. I think it was £1 - 200 so I guess not of any interest these days. I loved it, but it stopped after about 5 years beyond the wit of a battery changer, so is now in a box somewhere - anybody else got one of those that still works?

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Got mine :thumbsup: but only wear it from time to time.

Bit worried about spares as Mat says .... strap is a bit of a worry because where you might source replacement screws i think getting a strap that looks right would be more of a problem.

If anyone does know about where you can get a replacement strap then please let me know and i might be keen to wear it more often because it does look great and generaly get the "nice watch" comments.

The Lotus Type 1 watch was manufactured by this company who may still have some straps etc. left.

John Wilson, Materials Admin Assistant, C.O.

Time Products (UK) Ltd.,

Alexander House,

Chartwell Drive,

Wigston

Leicester

LE18 2EZ

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I forgot to include the phone number for Time Products in my previous post.

116257-3567

116257-3569

Barney Hatt designed the watch BTW.

I dont have one myself, I tried one on when they came out and didnt like the scale of it (its big).

SUNP0003-1.jpg

• Gold FFM

Mines a long time dead. Only lasted about 12 months of daily use. screws fell out and strap wore through and broke.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Mines a long time dead. Only lasted about 12 months of daily use. screws fell out and strap wore through and broke.

Are you suggesting that a Lotus isnt reliable Ian.....shame on you :whistle:

I got one, its wrapped up in bubble wrap, found the box for it the other week so will have to return it to its rightful home!

I had my original replaced by Time Products as it was faulty, used to stop working when it got warm, like when you wore it! Was fine if you left it in the box! LOL

Chunky Lover

Tony,

I have two of these watches. One I wear every day for past 4-5 years. Changed battery once. It was perfect until I accidentally scratched the orange anodised caliper part on my car one day. I close the door on my car and the pillarless door frame caught my watch and scraped it right the way across. I was gutted but it's now a proper daily watch. I have another I bought as a back up in a box but not sure if it's still working.

I'll take a picture of my slightly worn daily watch in the morning.

Regards,

David Walters

Dave, I had a Tag Formula One which I didn't use for a year or two and when I wanted to wear it the battery had leaked all over the internals ruining the watch. It's a £500 watch ruined, I think I gave it to Paul C to see if he could resurrect it and get it back on someone's wrist.

I'd advice removing the battery from your spare asap!

Evora NA