free hit
counters
Lotus Watch - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Watch

Loteuk

IMG_1176.jpg

There she is, reunited in her home.

The battery has gone, I am a little worried about leakage but I wouldn't know where to go to get it changed without them scratching the back of the case which seems to happen all the time, no one seems to take care when they take the backs of watches.

Also got to take care when keeping them in the original box. You have to make sure you have the manual over the face of the watch or the alloy outer sleve of the packaging scratches the orange off the caliper. Had this happen when Time Products kept returning it to me incorrectly packaged.

Had a new watch in the end and this one is in perfect condition!

Chunky Lover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Had the battery changed in mine at a local jewellers. Proper old school place and the manager himself did it. He was quite taken with the watch too. Note that if you get the battery changed then they won't guarantee the waterproof rating afterwards since the seal will be broken. To get the battery changed and retain the waterproff rating was going to cost mega bucks and requireb it to be sent away.

• Like 1
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I am wearing my type 1 watch today and wear it quite regularly, but I do think I should put it away for special occasions before it either falls apart or the strap breaks. I also have a Lotus cronograph I got from the dealer when I bought my car, cost £75. I'm sure it was manufactured by Sekonda but not sure. I will take a piccie and post it.

The battery has gone, I am a little worried about leakage but I wouldn't know where to go to get it changed without them scratching the back of the case which seems to happen all the time, no one seems to take care when they take the backs of watches.

There used to be guy in the Morgan Arcade, (I used him one year I was over) of course I've got no idea where he is now. (I liked the old building)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Dave, I had a Tag Formula One which I didn't use for a year or two and when I wanted to wear it the battery had leaked all over the internals ruining the watch. It's a £500 watch ruined, I think I gave it to Paul C to see if he could resurrect it and get it back on someone's wrist. I'd advice removing the battery from your spare asap!

/\ This is IMO the most important post on this thread.

:)

Some of the first quartz watches made by big brands are very rare now. I have an old quartz breitling navitimer as my 'pub watch' at the moment and they are getting harder to find working, from time to time batches of the japan source movement they used in the 70's appear and they are almost the cost of the watch, hence they are dissapearing. The movments then were slightly more bespoke than todays superquartz, and the coils and resistors could easily be shorted out and ruined by a careless battery change. But the big killer was being put away in a draw with the battery still fitted.

Modern batteries are better. But if you are planning to mothball a quartz watch as an investment then leaving a dying battery connected to it for five years only invests in trouble, at best it will only leak and ruin the movement, at worse (depending on how the watch was laid) it will completely ruin the dial. Some of the very first branded quartz and LED watches are very rare due to being put in a drawer and let leak and ruin.

The good news (now) is the movement will be a generic japanese module. The Lotus watch by it's sub £200 cost will have the same movement as many non branded 'fashion' watches out there, find another quartz chronograph with the same dial/date layout and you are probably looking at the same unit. A decent watch repairer (ie a company, not some guy in a kiosk) will be able to find a module or even have one in stock.

There is nothing odd about shared movements, i have four breitings and an omega that share the same movement as Bib's Heuer, and rolex have been using valjoux and zenith movements in their flagship daytona model until only very recently.

The thing is, the Lotus chronograph is essentially a non branded fashion watch, and as such it falls into the same basket as bib's mass produced Quartz tag - it's not worth the sum of it's parts when broken and costs more that it's worth to repair, remember also the movements might not be as easy to get in, say, ten years.

Example being this one, it's a replacement module for my navitimer and costs £250 just for the part and around £400 fitted. The watch cost me £350.

ETA-ESA_9361.jpg

The other solution is finding some no mark brand that used the same movement at the time and swapping the guts over:

03.131.jpgpluton2100yugo5259yf.jpg

One other thing i'd do is not go for the pressure test. ANYONE can do a pressure test, the watch just goes into a pressurised air tank and raised to the atmosphere required (any loss of pressure is air seeping into the watch). The thing is, without a stripdown and change of seals it's meaningless. The Seawolf i am wearing right now is rated at a massive 3000m/10,000ft and would no doubt pass a pressure test right now, but next month it's seals could break down. So unless i had the thing properly opened up and (all three) seals on the crown done along with the caseback and then given a 12 month certificate i'd be taking a chance just swimming with it.

I say not to get a pressure test done unless you absolutely have to because they will need to change the seals on the crown and the chronograph pushers too. This will require removal of the orange bit, the crown, the movement and the pushers to replace the tiny 'o' rings on those parts. Thats a lot more than a battery swap and do you really want that done every time? Especially when the waterproof guarantee will probably only last for 12 months whereas the battery might last two years longer, ergo you will always end up wearing a watch that has no waterproof guarantee, even if you have it done right. Where my company v man in kiosk bit comes from: there is a massive difference between a man in a sideroom doing it and a superclean, static and lint free enviroment if you insist on a proper reseal and test. That tiny bit of lint under the glass from when the movement was out will do your head in.

There is no snobbery here, your £200 Lotus branded watch and my £350 used Breitling have a repair cost more than their worth and it's only money and enthusiasm that will keep them in exsistance. It's just like cars, any car around in fifty years will have cost it's worth to keep it there.

Oh, and don't leave the battery in.

:D

Edited by Paul C

My Lotus Caliper watch battery packed up. I just got a watch back removal kit from Maplins, works great, and like mentioned, I didn't put loads of scratch marks over the back. Watch running fine again.

On my last day of work before xmas break, four people at my works this year got long service watches, me included. We all got Raymond Weil watches, they are a nice watch and I loved the thought of getting a watch, but however guilty I feel, It just not my personal taste in a watch design, so doubt I'll ever wear it.

watch.jpg

Edited by OwenGT3

• 3 weeks later...

There is one on ebay finishing soon 250755741097

A staggering £360 so far!

Note that it's not currently working and the wear described does not show on the minty library pictures used.

I've bought and sold used Rolex, Breitling and Omega for that much, and in working condition without numbers worn off and that.

Hope if any of you guys are bidding that the actual used and worn watch described turns out to look ok, and that a battery change gets it working.

:)

I have a Lotus watch I haven't even removed from the packaging! Crikey! Imagine what they will be worth in 20 years!!

Anyway. Just to clarify a few things.

Lotus had to remove the "Caliper" watch from sale, not because of reliability issues as was thought at the time, but because Lotus watches contacted them and "politely" asked them to remove the product. After checking copyrights MJK decided it better to remove it than use money on fighting the copyright.

For your information Lotus Copyright is also held by the following companies:

Watches: http://www.lotus.netnmedia.com/

Shoes/footwear: http://www.barratts.co.uk/en/brands/lotus/?cm_mmc=Google-_-Lotus-_-Ladies%20Lotus-_-ladies%20lotus&gclid=CKG10N6Iy6YCFdERfAodcjTrMw

Travel: http://www.lotusbusinesstravel.com/aboutus.aspx

Software: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Lotus-Development-Corporation-Company-History.html

Sweets: http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/product-compint-0001430093-page.html

Biscuits (non chocolate cause thats held by above, obviously): http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/snacks/product-lotus-caramelised-biscuits-014959

I'm sure there are more.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

After checking copyrights MJK decided it better to remove it than use money on fighting the copyright.

I'm just wondering out loud where such logic might be both useful and prudent today ? or possibly Monday.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hey Dragi

Would love to but I tend to keep and collect anything linked to my father and seeing as how it was sold during his time there and couldn't be replaced, I will politely refuse. Thanks for the offer.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Holy smokes, I had no idea they were worth so much, mine's still in it's box collecting dust (I'm off to check the battery!)

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

+1 mines still in the ally box with papers and cardboard sleeve (originality is paramount for a future collector to pay the premium)whistle.gif

Mines been serviced and tested since Bibs fleeced me for £££ and has never missed a beat even though it has never been worn.

Next couple of years should see them floating around a 'bag of sand' for a reasonable example - imo!

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

Trev, you're talking to the guy who drove his Esprit a whopping 600 miles last year! That said, I did indeed open the box up only to find the battery dead, so a quick trip to the watch store and $10 later I'm back in business and wearing the little beauty as I type!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Didn't I get you lot about 40 of these at cost price a few years back? Fleeced indeed, I even paid full price for mine!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Trev, you're talking to the guy who drove his Esprit a whopping 600 miles last year!

DAAAAAAANNNNG Paul, That's shameful!

I've only owned mine for three months and I've driven it more than twice that.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I drove someone else's Esprit 5 times that many miles last year!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Didn't I get you lot about 40 of these at cost price a few years back? Fleeced indeed, I even paid full price for mine!

So, let's do some maths.

Original cost from memory around £100 give or take. (2 years ago)

2011 cost £500 give or take.

£400 increase on each watch

40 X £400 = £16000

There's a free Esprit in that equation somewhere! ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!