free hit
counters
Why on earth did I agree to help!?!?!?!? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
freshcut

Why on earth did I agree to help!?!?!?!?

Well, after working on the above beast for the past 12 hours I've accomplished what I can do in 2 hours on the Esprit! As productive as today was my co-worker (his car) and I have managed to spend about 6 hours taking the transmission out, 3 hours working on removing/replacing the flywheel and clutch, dual mass unit that had slipped and covered the crankshaft bolts partially, and another 2.5 hours attempting (miserably) to refit the transmission. Finally just told the guy we're going to have to pick back up in the a.m. as we're both likely to begin making mistakes and breaking stuff. I have to say after this nightmare I have come to appreciate the extreme simplicity of working on the Esprit, as well as having vowed to strongly consider saying "no" the next time I'm asked to help do a transverse clutch.

Anyone else have horror stories about projects that you agreed to help on but wished you could back out of later?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Astra clutch, not dual-mass but one with concentric slave cylinder.

PITA, had it in and out some many times I could have done it blind-fold. Only real way to check for leaks on the push-fit connection is when it's under load.

Ah, the good old concentric. Had my Meriva one out last year. First car I've ever done that requires steering rack out for gearbox removal. Felix and Chris will testify to its difficulty.

Had that lovely S4 clutch last year - out and in 5 times in a day.

Did a Triumph Dolomite cylinder head many moons ago. Got all the nuts off, and it wouldn't budge. Eventually decided to try lifting it on a crane, and it took the front wheels off the ground. Left the car hanging by its (unattached) head all night - didn't budge.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

My father (ex-mechanic) worked on a relatives Reliant (Regal, Robin, whatever it was), it's their own design of engine (why??) and has an ali head, the head studs fused to the ali head, it would not budge with "normal" methods. Cue some old car tyre levers being ground to form wedges. the head suffered a bit of scarring but it eventually moved.

Same sort of era (early 80s) a his friend's Triumph Herald didn't have enough anti-freeze in, it popped a couple of core plugs. One was fine, front of engine = simple fix. One was near the bulkhead, so lots of work to remove engine or just cut hole through bulkhead, job done.

Once had to saw a head off a Triumph Stag....hardpoint woodsaw cuts nicely through the alloy, if you're ever faced with doing the same thing!! Need an angle grinder to cut through the studs, though. Nothing would get the studs out of the head.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Wow, that gives me a whole new respect for the guy I hired to do the clutch in my '02 GTI. Same dual-mass flywheel, replaced with single-mass (I can't tell any difference), DONE, keys back in my hand, in less than 24 hours.

Got my fingers crossed for your co-worker's car.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

We got it done. I'll tell ya right now I have completely lost any interest in having a VW after this fiasco. Started back up Saturday morning around 11 ( motivation was difficult to come by after our experience Friday!) Unfortunately just as we were beginning, I had received a call from work so had to leave my coworker and another guy from work to work on trying to bring the tranny into position. Returned back to the house after an hour or so at which point they had the tranny ready to slide back up to the engine which was a welcomed relief from my POV. Spent the next 5 hours getting everything bolted back into place and finally finished at a few minutes before 5 Saturday evening. I can honestly and truly say that I have never felt so good as I did once that car was finished. It really does make a clutch on the Lotus look like a walk in the park. I do have to say though that when it comes to the easiest clutch I've done, it was actually in an old Datsun I used to have. I think my record from start to finish was just over 2 hours!!! I had quite a bit of transmission experience in that one though as over the years I had to pull the tranny something like 5 or 6 times. Jobs like this VW really make me fully appreciate the simplicity of working on a longitudinally mounted engine.

Next door were faffing around the front of their Audi A3 one morning, normally they are pretty good at bodging stuff so I left them to it and continued my hangover in peace and went back to bed.

Lunchtime comes around and they are still faffing about but now the A3 was missing it's bumper , grill, washer bottle and a few other bits, much headscratching and hand wringing in progress. So I got dressed and went to have a nose, cup of tea in hand...

They were tyring to replace the indicator bulbs as it had clear indicators but stadnard bulbs and had failed it's MOT....

After some discussion I had a poke about the RHS which hadn't been touched at this point.

Half turn of the big white screw and push the clip down then the indicator unit popped out.

I tried not to snigger :innocent: didn't work... :whistle:

As for me: I volunteered to help my mate Pete change the headgasket on his 924 turbo 2 years ago.

My 924 Turbo HG swap took about a day on and off. No real major problems other than one bolt on the turbo being inaccessible, but wobble bars and extensions got to it OK.

Pete's engine finally went back in 2 weeks ago but it's still not running yet :wallbash: nearly there...

Edited by Rich H

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Remember the 80s/90s Vauxhalls? Complete clutch, start to finish, approx 45 mins if you were feeling lazy. No box removal required.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I do have to say I really miss the days when cars were simple to work on and you didn't have to have a much more than a basic set of tools. As for remembering....can't say I do as we've not imported Vauxhalls here (that I'm aware of, unless they were rebadged as GM/Chevy models).