free hit
counters
Letter from HMRC. - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Letter from HMRC.

Advantage

Our very efficient tax office wrote to me this morning reminding me that I still owe them an amount of money. This, apparently, has been outstanding for a while and requires my immediate attention as the details of the debt have already been passed on to their collections department. I was a bit puzzled by this, but it's not unheard of, so I prepared to contact my accountant while looking for my chequebook. I the re-read the letter and spotted the amount they are chasing. £0.00

Yep, they've sent me a letter wanting a payment of £0.00 by return.

I know this is nothing more than a computer generated letter, but what's the procedure here? Do I send them a cheque for £0.00 so the file can be closed? Will common sense prevail before the baliffs are instructed (no doubt at my cost) to recover £0.00? Will the amount, or lack of, simply be added to next year's bill? If I phone the HMRC office will the person at the other end be able to fix this, or will they just request I send them £0.00? Should I just file the letter in the round filing cabinet? Would Esther Rantzen be interested in this? What if I faxed them a picture of a spider with 7 legs?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody tax-dodger! :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

They are quite a special bunch. My wife has had 5 identical letters from them giving her the same tax code over the period of 2 weeks .................. and its still the wrong code.

HMRC IMHO are a complete bunch of...............people who are scared that they will lose their jobs in the current round of cutbacks.

I am told I have to pay an amount of money by 31 Jan, this being tax on tax-free redundancy FFS, and half that amount again on the same day for next year on account!

I phoned them, they realised the error but told me I had to put it in writing. So I wrote to them but 6 weeks later I got a payment reminder. I phoned them again and they said ignore it, they would acknowledge receipt of my letter when they got around to dealing with it.

You never know Graham, we could end up in the same prison cell!

Dave.

Pilko, dont you have a little man to care of such affiars? Hows a secret agent playboy supposed to do his job if he is busy sorting paperwork out? Surely a quick work to Q and this will all be sorted, what eh? Old Boy!!

Edited by Alex --GT3--

stop winging and pay your taxes like the rest of us :lol: :lol:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Nope. Stuff that. Ring 'em and tell you'll never pay. Tell them to take you to court. Then when the judge sees what a bunch of pillocks they've been, you'll get court costs and then hit them for the waste of your time. You could come out in front!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

No idea on the official line but I'd be tempted to write back and enquire about an instalment option. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I would pay up now or else they will slap you with a £100 fine and interest on the original sum.

In amongst all the more humorous responses, I'd just write back politely explaining that you are confused by a tax demand for zero, and ask them to reply, informing you how to respond. Common sense will prevail and they should formally write back closing the issue.

I'm in the middle of an ongoing 3 year battle with them over an amount I don't owe. To be fair it's been caused by my last employer, not the HMRC. What I have discovered though is that they are ordinary people who react in normal ways. The trouble with just sending in for example a zero amount cheque, is if it crosses the wrong persons desk they may not appreciate the humour, and then its like sticking your foot into a wasps nest. They can be very vindictive if they have the mindset to do so.

Better to be polite, and business like, while formally knocking the ball back into their court.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I think its time to set up that offshore tax haven! To really screw them up send them a check for 1p and ask for a credit on next years taxes!

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

You're absolutely right Alex. I'll give Mr Cameron a call later. :D

You could call Mr Cable as he has some spare time these days.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

I'm sick and tired of working my ass off to keep the likes of you in Range Rovers. Shirker.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I've never had a good impression of HMRC. My tax affairs have always been rediculously simple. When I was emplyed I was PAYE so everything was taken at source and I never had any investments, unearned income, property, capital gains, or anything to make the sums even vaguely tricky. As a result I could always work out what my tax bill should be on the back of an envelope in about 3 minutes (most of that time was looking up the tax band thresholds). Using the official tax return made it about 100 times more complex and took about 3 hours to arrive at the same number. The actual tax taken was never correct and they always owed me money from a few pounds to a few hundred. I never understood how they could get it that wrong. Since I've been able to submit my return on line I have - and they continue to get the sums wrong. Presumably because my stuff is so simple, for a few years now they have not required me to submit a return. So far I have always done so anyway as a means to highlight how much they owe me. Interesting dilemma this year. For the first time it turns out that I owe them - although only about £40. Thing is I have the latest letter (received earlier this year) saying I dont need to make a submission - so I haven't. But I've also just had an email today saying that I need to submit my return by Dec 31. Hmmmm. On the one hand.....on the other....

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

HMRC have 80,000 employees. Only 3 of these have a slight clue, the rest have none! :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Man up Pilko and pay the money you dont owe :gathering:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Graham,

after our discussion in the kitchen I will still gladly continue to file in 26 different countries....because what you have to deal with will be a nightmare...

I have a great international accountant if you ever need one...

best of luck...you know what will happen right?...you will think it all cleared up and then three years later as you are going on holiday the custom agents will detain you because of failure to pay back taxes...

No matter...enjoy your Christmas...