free hit
counters
I drove to work today - Topics - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

I drove to work today

cazna52

Six months after paying for my car I finally have it registered.

I just barely passed the engineers certificate after failing the first time due to noise. I paid $330 for a new exhaust system which the muffler place said would definitely bring the noise under the 90db limit but when I tested it with an iPhone app it was still reading about 98-99. I put some steel wool in the exhaust secured by a screw and when I had it tested by the engineer it came in at 98.1db, very close but a pass.

Blue slip was no trouble, just left the car with them yesterday. This morning I went down to the RTA, had to pay $1,100 for rego being first time though and wanting euro plates.

I am so happy to have the car registered now. It is so nice to drive aside from needing to be very careful to avoid pot holes. All my mates at work are very impressed with the car. A couple said they were tempted to try bringing one in as well.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good news Justin, after all the Esprit adventures you have had with it you deserve a break. You know a lot more about the cart now than you did before, a good grounding for the next few years of happy motoring.

Well done, maybe now we can get you out for a Sunday run ?!

Merry Christmas

Too many Toys are never enough !

Congratulations, Justin. There were times when I was worried you would never be able to get it registered and I'm sure you did too. Must be a great feeling and a major relief ready for the holidays. Nice work.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Well, first day of rego and my car broke down. Not the first break down I have had of course but the first since getting registered. I am starting to think that Esprits might not be very reliable.

It happened just after I dropped a friend off on the way home from work. Everything looked fine when I pulled up to let him out and I left the car running for about 10 minutes while his wife looked at the car. When I got back into the car though the temperature was really high and the low coolant tell tale was lit. I turned off the car and got out straight away and there was coolant spraying out from the under front.

After it had cooled down a little and had stopped spraying coolant I got under it to have a look. The coolant was coming out of a hose that was going into the radiator that had a hose clamp that was a bit loose. I tightened up the hose clamp and filled it up with water again then started it and just let it idle while I watched the temperature gauge. Unfortunately though it didn't take long till the needle was nearing the red again so I turned the engine off.

I noticed that I couldn't hear the fans running. They were definitely running earlier today because when I took a workmate for a spin and came back and turned off the engine he asked why he could still hear something running at the front of the car. I checked the fuse and it was ok, then I went to check the relay and realised that the relays were wired up quite differently than in the owners manual which made it a bit hard to find the right relay. Eventually I found it by turning on my fog lights and taking out relays till they went off to figure out which relay was the fog lamps, then I put that relay in each of the other slots till I heard the fans come on.

So with the fans on I was able to drive home. The problem is now that the fans don't want to go off. I waited for about 10 minutes after I got home and they were still running. I am about to go back down to the car now to see if they have stopped yet.

By the way, there was no fan failure tell tail. The globe is good for that tell tale because it comes on when you turn the key to ignition but it looks like whatever tells it to light up when the fans fail is busted too.

I went down to the car and the fans were still running. Could be a short in the otter switch but weird that it would have burnt out the relay. I would have expected the fans could be on for hours without damaging the relay.

Take hart Justin, I bought mine July, by the time I got on the road here it was November. In the 3 years I have had it, only one failure to proceed, starter motor solenoid, can't remember how much, but cheap local fix. I now drive it with confidence.

While you're at it with the cooling, check the radiator, I had mine re-cored, also just fitted a 74 thermostat to replace the 82 standard UK one. Steve has a nice mod for switching the fans on manually.

When you get it running try the old road to Gosford, and you'll forgive all it's tantrums.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Justin. the fan relay different from all the other ones due to the heavy current it has 2 x single pole contacts to share the load, so if you change it for one of the other relays whether it's on or off the fans will run constantly. I can't remember for sure, but the headlight relay be the same type but the others certainly are not. Also be aware that the fans don't come on until the temperature is almost in the red ( Otter switch doesn't click on until about 97c ) so maybe when you restarted the car it hadn't quite got upto that temperature yet. If your A/C is working that also will force the fans to come on.

Make sure you burp all the air out of the coolant system with the rear of the car higher than the front ( park it on a slope ) and if you need a new front radiator hose I have one of each in the garage so yell out.

Keep smilng you will get there in the end, and just like the Koala Brothers " we are here to help"

PS I found the relay schematics in the service manual, if you buy a new one you need the double contact type.

post-5938-0-59557000-1293143834.jpg

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.