free hit
counters
Engine Clean - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Engine Clean

:huh: Spent the day cleaning the ole engine bay. Not one of my fave jobs.

O7B0WI280880-02.jpg

IKBQTT816754-02.jpg

1FGRVD464506-02.jpg

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks good, and I am sure that you Esprit is happy now though.

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

Bloody Beautiful Man!

Where does your BOV BO to?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goes down to a feed spliced into another vacum line off the end of the inlet manifold. Beyond that all over the engine as its not a recirculating type. :huh:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Cool and tidy - but more cleaning will have to ensue? No?

I have an obsession about shiny clean bits in the engine bay and worry that if i go ahead and get the BOV (HKS SSQ type) i'll be kept far to busy pandering to my cleaning obsession and even an HKS type a la Dermots spurts out gunk into the engine unless you pipe it into the airbox (which he hasn't therefore non-recirc) - which begs/leads me to the question do you want gunky warm oil that isn't supposed to be going there in your airbox which is the current thinking so i rather ignorantly gather?

Any thoughts?

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Cool and tidy - but more cleaning will have to ensue? No?

I have an obsession about shiny clean bits in the engine bay and worry that if i go ahead and get the BOV (HKS SSQ type) i'll be kept far to busy pandering to my cleaning obsession and even an HKS type a la Dermots spurts out gunk into the engine unless you pipe it into the airbox (which he hasn't therefore non-recirc) - which begs/leads me to the question do you want gunky warm oil that isn't supposed to be going there in your airbox which is the current thinking so i rather ignorantly gather?

Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest Roger, I bought it for the wooshee noise. Sad but true. The engine bay seems to trap dust and other muck quite quickly. The residue is more mist than gunk. I can live with it. Just have to clean more often, which i dont mind. It might be little more messy, but whatever it coats will be safer from corrosion and the elements i would expect :huh:

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Paul, there is nothing wrong with noise and i agree a light misting with oil can't do metal stuff any harm - i tend to do it to myself after a shower.

You should of posted a before and after set of pics - i would like to have seen that! :huh:

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Nice Job on the engine bay Paul. I love getting in there with a tooth brush. I hate the bits lower down the engine that are hard to reach. This weekend the chargecooler is coming off with the plenum and the throttle bodies to replace the gasket and also so its ready to fit an electric cc pump. I cant wait to get in there and give it a damn good clean !!! :huh:

I have a Re-circ bov piped back into the airbox using the crank case breather inlet to the airbox. My crank case breather has an air breather filter fitted to the end which I've dropped right down the side of the engine to get rid of any oil mist down there.

However, as Im sure you've found the ali on top of the engine is really hard to get clean. I've seen some of the guys on hear refer to some special ali cleaning products made for the job. Can some one tell me what they use for cleaning up the ali while we are on the subject??

Edited by CarlC

Nice Job on the engine bay Paul. I love getting in there with a tooth brush. I hate the bits lower down the engine that are hard to reach. This weekend the chargecooler is coming off with the plenum and the throttle bodies to replace the gasket and also so its ready to fit an electric cc pump. I cant wait to get in there and give it a damn good clean !!!  :huh: 

However, as Im sure you've found the ali on top of the engine is really hard to get clean. I've seen some of the guys on hear refer to some special ali cleaning products made for the job. Can some one tell me what they use for cleaning up the ali while we are on the subject??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember an ali cleaning product of old called belgom alu. Have not seen it for ages. Was a blue gel and it worked great.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Thanks Paul,

Looks like its still available, I've done a quick search on the net for it but I could do with finding a product I can pickup locally as Ill need it for this long weekend. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Like this :huh:

O7B0WI280880-02.jpg

Paul, there is nothing wrong with noise and i agree a light misting with oil can't do metal stuff any harm - i tend to do it to myself after a shower.

You should of posted a before and after set of pics - i would like to have seen that! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Now that is Dirty man!

I guess you like to off road your Esprit?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New house, building site, dusty and or muddy roads. 10 yards...............B*ll*cks. Dirty again :huh:

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Thanks Paul,

Looks like its still available, I've done a quick search on the net for it but I could do with finding a product I can pickup locally as Ill need it for this long weekend. Anyone got any other suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alubrite is the only other one I can think of Carl. Dont know how readily available it is though!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I couldnt bring myself to start the engine. :)

Anyway, stop showing pictures of beautifully clean engines, your making me feel dirty! :huh::o

Fancy cleaning this one when it gets dorty then????? LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to update you all on the Engine Clean topic here. I went down to my local auto factors and they didnt have any of the products mentioned. But they did have a product called AutoSol,