free hit
counters
Optronic, Magnetronic or powermax? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Optronic, Magnetronic or powermax?

LOTUSMAN33

Has anyone fitted a powermax distributor to an Esprit? I am about to put my engine back in and have had second thoughts about leaving the points and condensor system original. I was going to keep it but remember how awkward it is to work on when I had this in my previous S1 and S2.

I have three options from what I can see;

Lumenition Optronic

Lumenition Magnetronic

Powermax complete distributor with new coil (Uses magnet system but you get a new distributor and 3 year warranty)

My distributor is in good condition so not worried about bearing wear causing problems.

I would be interested in anyones own experiences?

Many Thanks

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the Pertronix igniton system on my S3.

Can't recommend it enough!

I was so lazy I bought the copy of the lucas distributor, two wires to their coil and that was it!.

Rob

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Thanks Rob, I will investigate that one then, I am going to do one or the other with out doubt to save servicing time in the future. Has your system been totally reliable?

Kind Regards

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Been totally reliable.

Installed two years ago and never failed to start!

Rob

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

I've had great results and reliability from the Lumenition Optronic systems. But really, I think any of them are good. You'll probably find someone on here who likes each. I've used the Lumenition Optronic and Magnetronic systems, one time a Pertronix (a long time ago), and an old Allison system (which I think is now Crane?); Optronic is my favorite, but again, I think they're all good.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hi, until converting my car to injection, I was running the high performance Luminition optronic ignition, I found this to be reliable and easy to set up on my race Eclat, This was the full 12v coil system not requiring a ballast resistor or resistive wire. The standard optronic Luminition system with 6v coil was factory fit on the 2.2 Eclats

Regards Dan

Hi Dave

The price is quite good if compared to other products, and your car will still look original, so I though it might be worth consideration.

Please post some pics and let know your thoughts on the kit, I'm curious to know if it is really as easy as their website indicates!

Regards

Brandt

• 2 months later...

I have one of these on my S1 that Im in the process of rebuilding. It takes no time at all to fit if the distributor is off the car. Havent started the car yet (sadly) but it certainly produces a spark at the plugs. Phil

• 2 years later...

Hi Andy,

On their website their distributors seems to have a vacuum advance, as the original mechanical 45d did, is that just for show or is it used? I assumed it would have a electronic advance but the connector for the vac confused me.

Brian

They use the same advance mechanism as the equivalent contact breaker ones did, it's just the pick-up that's different. You can just swap out a base plate (if they do one- I didn't check) and use your original advance mechanism (weights and springs or vac), or get a complete one that has the same advance characteristics as yours.

I have a SimonBBC unit fitted to my Esprit originally bought in desperation due to the standard lumenition cooking coils. Was cheap enough to try as a sanity check. That was 18 months ago and not taken it off as it works very well.