free hit
counters
Found first S1 - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Found first S1

3 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

I gave him a call when buying the car to discuss keeping it in turbo form or converting back to S1 spec.

Steve agreed to make all the S1 body panels and the dash, the only thing he never had was the centre console, I managed to find a 1976 one in the end which was a bonus.

I converted the turbo door panels which was a bit of work but happy now.

I bought a pair of S1 seats a while back along with a set of 1976 dated wheels in readiness so pretty much good to go.

I even found an original mirror.

Thankfully it retained the original clocks as that would have been a headache too many 😬

Will be great when its done. Are you going to return it to Blue?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No not a big fan of Lagoon blue really, it was white when I owned it for all those years so I’m leaning back to that colour (Sigh not another white S1….😂), mind I have always liked yellow (not the pastel shade it’s in now) so that remains on the table. I think it will be decided much later in fairness as can’t see me getting that far this year.

I will get the GRP work done and mechanics completed though.

Pretty sure I’m going to replace the loom as it has had several immobilisers, two alarms and a pager system fitted, being thatcham it’s meant sections of the original loom have been chopped out. (I was guilty of getting one system fitted and the removable steering wheel as owned when car crime was at its peak along with joyriding….. the max power years 😁).

671DDAE2-C2C5-44C8-B64D-DD32D38AC8B2.thumb.jpeg.24a36778ecbe7b58d46487132d7dacfe.jpeg

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 2 months later...

Well I came close to bailing out as discovered the chassis is really thin on the front, after some wire brushing the true extent of the corrosion became apparent…

2723C3C9-B6A3-48B9-9BB6-6DCEB672EBF7.thumb.jpeg.cc680835ce4954f416e39d632e44f9aa.jpeg

31AB0CC3-A73E-495C-B31B-FBAF615F3826.thumb.jpeg.d453d9546a929e8144bcfeb243ab4d96.jpeg

B00D48A3-8C4E-46DF-89F2-22EB548032F6.thumb.jpeg.bb6dd75e1511fcef64a9661d95b57146.jpeg

967034A4-0BF5-4AE8-B9D8-4F19F0D1F682.thumb.jpeg.12e7cb44e0532404602157bc7c3e958e.jpeg

I know people repair these but for me the whole thing is thin and not something I think would survive a blasting very well let alone a collision 😬

I really didn’t want to get into another full body off restoration but have decided if I can secure a replacement chassis at sensible money then that’s what the cars going to get.

Anyone got a chassis they want to part with 😉

Can't you repair?

Body comes off easily. Worth the effort IMO. Cheaper than a replacement chassis.

• Like 2

I know a few folks up here that had new chassis's for their S1 and 2's when Lotus were selling them off. I only know of a S3/Turbo chassis going spare.

Edited by Fridge
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

That’ll be the one, I jacked the car up before buying it and gave everything a quick wire brush but since sitting in my dry garage working on the rear end its literally exploded like a teenagers face 😁

In fairness the chassis bars at the back were pitted but not holed so been on my mind a while. I jacked the front up higher to run the new clutch hose in which is where the true condition showed after a good wire brush attack. 
A new chassis will be the way forward to match everything else which has been refurbished now.

717C5BE7-6D31-4678-A4FE-3E434238D9FF.thumb.jpeg.9b88bf47d500086a321f15adac2876f2.jpegBrand new input shaft and perfect CWP should see this last as well now.

Dave :) 

That looks great. Whats the cleaning process?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

That looks great. Whats the cleaning process?

Days of scrubbing as it was pretty grubby. I used gunk then carb cleaner with brass wire brushes followed by more carb cleaner.

This one was easy compared to the white cars one. Mind the bell housing did get a coat of silver enamel engine paint as casting doesn’t clean so well unless soda blasted.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Days of scrubbing as it was pretty grubby. I used gunk then carb cleaner with brass wire brushes followed by more carb cleaner.

This one was easy compared to the white cars one. Mind the bell housing did get a coat of silver enamel engine paint as casting doesn’t clean so well unless soda blasted.

Well done Dave, a great job as always. I use brake cleaner I haven’t  tried carb cleaner. I will give it a try.

• Like 1