free hit
counters
lightweight flywheel for Esprit transmssion - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

lightweight flywheel for Esprit transmssion

Jonathan,

thx for the information....

I live on top of a mountain..so I think I better not do anything with the flywheel...

I don't want to drive like a snail up the mountain and have a HONDA CIVIC laughing at me...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flywheels

For the S4s/S300 Lotus had to manufacture another flywheel to accept a larger Valeo clutch with increased clamping load. We believe the flywheel to be lighter and made from stronger materials than the previous flywheels. Although Lotus haven't confirmed this.

Esprit S4s and S300 flywheels are the same P691. 4011. 001BF and accommodates larger diameter clutch providing greater clamping force than SE/S4. The best one available from Lotus.

SE and S4 flywheels are the same A910E 2417F

GT3 flywheel is different B910E 2417S.

So a good upgrade for a Highwing would be a Sport 300 flywheel and clutch. This will give you the back-up of all the testing done by Lotus, so you know it'll work. Sport 300 spec and, also there's no danger in getting a lighten flywheel back that's not be lighten properly and will give you running issues and might not last very long. Takes away the worry of the 'unknown'.

We've heard Lotus flywheels need to be ground, not skimmed and there's not many places that can do this. This isn't confirmed, just what we've heard.

On our factory visit to SWLC they told us they have a few S4s/Sport 300 flywheels, which are around

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

Esprit S4s and S300 flywheels are the same P691. 4011. 001BF and accommodates larger diameter clutch providing greater clamping force than SE/S4. The best one available from Lotus.

The clutch friction disc is the same part for the SE, S4, S4s, and Sport 300, so there is no possibility of it being a different diameter. The pressure plate is different, but the diameter is not relevant.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

This is one way to lighten the flywheel.

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/ga...on/lew_flywheel

lew_flywheel.jpg

Removing material from the largest diameter will have greater results (reduces rotational inertia)

Just don't cut into the outside edge where the timing marks are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Travis,

Do you know how much weight was removed by using your method?

Darnel

Flywheels

For the S4s/S300 Lotus had to manufacture another flywheel to accept a larger Valeo clutch with increased clamping load. We believe the flywheel to be lighter and made from stronger materials than the previous flywheels. Although Lotus haven't confirmed this.

SE and S4 flywheels are the same A910E 2417F

GT3 flywheel is different B910E 2417S.

So a good upgrade for a Highwing would be a Sport 300 flywheel and clutch. This will give you the back-up of all the testing done by Lotus, so you know it'll work. Sport 300 spec and, also there's no danger in getting a lighten flywheel back that's not be lighten properly and will give you running issues and might not last very long. Takes away the worry of the 'unknown'.

We've heard Lotus flywheels need to be ground, not skimmed and there's not many places that can do this. This isn't confirmed, just what we've heard.

On our factory visit to SWLC they told us they have a few S4s/Sport 300 flywheels, which are around

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

• 1 month later...

Some info regarding flywheel weights.

Stock 89Esprit turbo ca 7,3kg

95Impreza turbo ca 10,5kg i did put on a 5.5 kg and its quit a diffrent,

the light one is reving much faster in the lower gears...

But the stock Lotus is pretty light to be a stock item....

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Hi Kato, Hi All,

BTW, the S4S/S300 clutch is horrible. Its not really high-torque ... its too hard to press ... it does not allow proper modulation and it does not last long ... and its quite pricey :lol:

IMHO, a better way would be to take the S4s/S300 flywheel (if its really lighter, I personally doubt this) and have a proper high torque clutch put on. The only mod you have to do is drilling new mounting holes+threads.

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus.. what would you recommend instead for PP and disc? J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Guest rflowers

My recent reground S4s flywheel comes in at 11-12 pounds (which I think is 4.9-5.4 kg) on my bathroom scale. It is probably not accurate. I need to find a more accurate scale.

Edited by rflowers