free hit
counters
New Elise to be less than 1,000kgs with 350bhp - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New Elise to be less than 1,000kgs with 350bhp

Bibs

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Paris the Elise was to be 1095kgs with 330ps, it's heading in the right direction this time!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That sounds great! It does look like Mr.Bahar has been listening and wants to show how Lotus is still about lighness....but with the decent amount of power people who buy cars want!

Buddsy :thumbsup:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

snapback.pngsimonb, on 05 January 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Has any new lotus ever hit target weight or power?

Mine did as soon as I got it home....but someone keeps moving the power target..shock.gif

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Has any new lotus ever hit target weight or power?

I don't remember ever seeing any weight and power targets for a new Lotus before the Paris show cars.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Sounds like Dany is listening. Good news.

What I liked even more was the little blurb at the bottom confirming the Esprit having an in-house powerplant. That's the way it should be. Even better news.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I don't remember ever seeing any weight and power targets for a new Lotus before the Paris show cars.

340R = 340 bhp per ton

S1 Esprit - Service manual quotes 913Kg Kerb, Autocar got 1033Kg

Elise - the 500 / 600 / 700Kg sportscar - early ones are about 750Kg are they not

Edited by simonb

question.gif

Evora NA

I'm sceptic about this. I believe it would jeopardize all of the other "new" Lotus cars, like the new Esprit, Elan etc...

Glad somebody else said this - I was thinking the same.

350 bhp/ton is a fair number - thats basically the same as the £175k+ Ferrari 458.

My biggest concern is that to keep 2liter and 350bhp then thats an almighty big turbo in the same vein as the mitsubishi evo cars and they suffer from the lag a bit.

The next issue is torque... that engine will have probably about 300lb/ft which is way above any factory car. This will mean beefier chassis/subframes so I'm a bit stuck how they will keep the weight down when the last exisges struggled to keep under a 1 ton.

Not true, a small GT2876 R will put out enough air for 280-480 in a 2 ltr. package with proper chargecooling...thumbup.gif

When the Esprit comes out it will be perfect for my 64 year old bones to get in and out of.....As for light weight and big power I've got that covered.

I don't really care what the target weight is, or whether Lotus hit or miss their targets. I also don't think the newly announced weight is a case of Dany Bahar belatedly 'listening to the Lotus world'. I don't think that Lotus engineers for one moment would have accepted someone coming in and saying 'don't bother about the weight'.

Far more likely that they've been trying to redefine an Elise to be a car without so many of the day-to-day drawbacks - which inevitably comes with a weight penalty - then working to minimise that penalty.

As their plans evolve from a rough idea of what they believe to be the successful balance of compromises to a detailed breakdown of components, they'll start to get a firmer idea about what the thing may weigh, and whether they need to reappraise some of their earlier decisions. The documentary about the development of the S1 Elise showed precisely this process in action and I don't suppose for a moment that it is any different now.

How can I really tell if I'll hate the new Elise at 1100kg...or 950kg... ? The S1 Elise missed its weight target. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the car.

What's the right weight for an elise?

The answer isn't "as low as possible", because if weight is the only important thing for a vehicle, you'd end up with a unicycle!

Weight, power, driving enjoyment, practicality, efficiency, quality, interior ambience, material costs, appearance... retail price.. Every vehicle is a mix of compromises. The current line up has failed to hit that sweet spot of compromises that would guarantee financial success. We know that because Lotus has given its current products every chance of proving their worth over the years. If the current lineup was the answer, there wouldn't have been the need for the people of Malaysia to subsidise the company for years.

Lotus knows its recent history is not the answer. It has asked 'what makes other manufacturers viable where we are not', and the answer, they think, is the new line up they've announced. They may be wrong, they may be right. I may be able to afford their products, I may not. What would I prefer? That lotus dies making the cars I once bought, or that it survives and succeeds making cars that I don't know if I'll like or be able to afford yet? The answer has to be the latter.

Throw the engineers and designers at Lotus a bit of slack and let them get on with it. Let's judge them on what they actually deliver, regardless of the paper statistics. Norfolk is far better off with a successful Lotus at Hethel than yet another tescos built on its remains.

Edited by cnapan

Not true, a small GT2876 R will put out enough air for 280-480 in a 2 ltr. package with proper chargecooling

No not really, the GT2876 R, is a 20 year old design, and will most certanly not outperform the EVOX unit.

Although i know 300+ hp from a 2 liter is possible with a nice torque curve, you also need a nice base engine

preferrably with DI and ~1000 degC EGT. On which the GT2876R will melt.

I do think the EVOX unit would be a very nice solution for the new Elise.

300hp all aluminium L4, easiliy tunable to 350 hp.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Newsflash:

New Elise to come equipped with P395/25/ZR22 tyres as standard. Wear rating expected to be <150. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Glad somebody else said this - I was thinking the same.

350 bhp/ton is a fair number - thats basically the same as the £175k+ Ferrari 458.

My biggest concern is that to keep 2liter and 350bhp then thats an almighty big turbo in the same vein as the mitsubishi evo cars and they suffer from the lag a bit.

The next issue is torque... that engine will have probably about 300lb/ft which is way above any factory car. This will mean beefier chassis/subframes so I'm a bit stuck how they will keep the weight down when the last exisges struggled to keep under a 1 ton.

No not really, the GT2876 R, is a 20 year old design, and will most certanly not outperform the EVOX unit.

Although i know 300+ hp from a 2 liter is possible with a nice torque curve, you also need a nice base engine

preferrably with DI and ~1000 degC EGT. On which the GT2876R will melt.

I do think the EVOX unit would be a very nice solution for the new Elise.

300hp all aluminium L4, easiliy tunable to 350 hp.

As for high EGT maybe you don't know the right tuner...scared011.gif Hell I make 240 ft tq. at only 3,000 rpm and over 595 bhp from my 1.8 ltr. Toyota with off the shelf bits...Hey that's 600 bhp/ton....The chassis/subframe is fine and still gets 27mpg on the hwy....whistle.gif