free hit
counters
ABS pressure switch - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello and happy new year long time with out returning to the forum, in the time I have been away I got married bought a house with two car closed storage, we are also expecting our first baby (girl for may) Already bought her a Lotus Teddy Bear, and my car has worked perfectly until last week

I need an abs Pressure Switch for my 1991 SE and havent been able to find it, has any of you have any idea where i can fin one

As always thanks in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

got mine from jae you can also do ebay look for powermaster abs or grand national . gmpartsdirect.com had them don't know if they still do

No longer available and nowhere to be found these days. But I understand a new part is being tested at Lotus...

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

Bill,

Are you sure that is the correct switch? I've not seen that part # in the cross references before and I do know there are similar switches that look very similar to ours but have different size fittings (and pressure ratings as well).

After looking back at my notes, I'm pretty sure the switch listed on ebay is for a Powermaster I system that was used on the Buick Grand Nationals 1985-1987, and ours is a Powermaster III system used on later model Regals and Grand Prix's....1989-1991 MY...

If that switch is for a Powermaster I system, it will not work for the Esprit. Even if it fit, the pressure ranges aren't even close.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Jim,

I actually have sent the question to the seller as I think these are the switches from the Powermaster I and I remember reading the difference in pressures as well between the I and the III. Have not heard back yet. This option is still available though.

Pressure Switch Option

Michael

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

If it's the correct one, could anyone buy one for me? Seller won't ship to France! <_<

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

I asked the seller a few questions about it last week and haven't heard anything back. Sorry to say that it doesn't look hopeful :(

Hi there Derek.

I have not heard back from the seller either. Went and dug this up so people know the difference.

Details Powermaster I

Pressure switch GM P/N 18018141 (unsure)

Operating pressures 200psi (low) to 770psi (high)

10~15 presses to depressurise which fits with the lower operating pressures

Details Powermaster III (esprit)

Pressure switch GM PN 88927270

Operating pressures 2400psi (low) to 2750psi (high)

30~40 presses to depressurise which fits with the higher operating pressures

The switch that is on ebay (posted above) is for the powermaster I based on the vehicle model it is advertised for.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Bill,

What made you look at that switch, do you have other info about it? The Jag that it fits has a totally different system than ours and I would be extremely surprised if it worked...

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

its a teves system. can't say i know much about it. I'm pretty sure that they use they same accumlator as we do( after all it was the jag guys that bought out all the old pn accumulators). Also don't let the diagram fool you. The lotus powermaster was modified to fit under bonnet. Best to try and get specs on the reatta system and see. Powermaster /teves service notes come up on ebay once in awhile.

Edited by incautious

Hey Lince, did you get anywhere with that switch ? Did it fit/work on the Esprit?

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

I have a pressure switch problem too. I have been waiting for approx 18 mths for a replacement to be found, I searched and searched myself also trying to look for alternatives but had no luck.

I yesterday gave up on Lotus supplying a replacement switch (at a reasonable price for a switch) or a suitable part off another car being found, and so I pulled the whole ABS master cylinder and pump out.

Its worth noting that Even the V8 master cylinder and servo are now obsolete from Lotus(So I have been told)!!!! It does not look good for any Lotus part supply in the future, I think its the Malaysian culture they are not used to supplying parts for cars that make it over 5 years old so what chance for cars that are cherished for decades?????

Alleged conversation held in a corridor at Lotus Cars

Question from Lotus Engineering dept head to Lotus CEO :- "Should we support our loyal enthusiast owners and ensure we have crucial parts vital for safety and to make sure our past models can be kept on the road sir?"

CEO Lotus reply :- "No bugger them lets blow a some excess millions on an unecessary F1 Team for product placement in F1 we already have and then spend £?????? fighting a legal battle for the name. Oh and lets open a trendy shop in the centre of London, anything but spend money on our aftersales bloody hell man we are moving up market!!!".

Maybe I am just a bit bitter :wallbash:

Cheers Mike

"I am actively looking for an S3 Esprit project car anything considered"

At the sake of sounding like a broken record, I will post this link again. This is a viable option and has been developed and has engineering approval.

I'm only trying to help guys.

Pressure Switch Option again. Sigh...

Hi Ramjet,

I am sure the system Steve has made works fine but if there are any problems he is a bit far away to help sort it.

The other problem is the whole master cylinder and ABS set up is old and basically rubbish.The last pressure switches available were expensive and all the sounds from Lotus about development and testing costs etc mean the new switch will be stupid money.

I could spend £300 on the alternative set up to find the fault is my 1yr old accumulator (more cost) or that it is a seal in the master cylinder has failed (loads of money if anyone will take the job on). The whole system has questionable performance on a car of the ability of an Esprit.

Lotus need to support their older models better.

Cheers Mike

This ABS switch has been a battle for a long time now.. When I has the chance to buy a few and help some others I did'nt and now they are all gone!!

Its so crazy to think you can loose your car for a switch that does not exist any more. Is there anyway we can bypass this ABS crap!?

Edited by greekmixS4

Don't know if this works but I do it.

About once a month I hammer my brakes a few times to get the ABS working and shuddering through the pedal. My thinking is doing so may keep fluid flowing in and out of the switch and hopefully stopping any build up of crap etc from brake fluid stagnating there.

DanR

Yes. Fit a master cylinder and servo off a V8 or SE. Buy an electric vac pump such as a Hella LP28 or LP 29 off certain Audi/ VW/ Ford/ Vauxhall fit a electric vac switch to switch the pump on and off at the correct vacuum. Hey presto non ABS normal brakes.

I will post more details of type of switch etc when Martin L and myself have finished testing the set up.

Regards Mike :thumbsup:

ABS Pressure Switch Option

I get nothing from putting this up here. Steve Taylor worked on this to get it up and running for people due to the lack of availability anymore of the original switch. I am not sure of the legalities in different states in Australia of simply removing the original system and installing something else without engineering approval. All of the parts in Steve's system are around now.