Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Water pump leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Water pump leak

DanR

I'm noticing a coolant puddle when I move the car out of the garage. Collected it and losing about 50ml after 24hours. From what I can see, I think the coolant's leaking out of a small hole near the nose of the pump which indicates it's getting past the shaft.

Did a search but couldn't find anything other than a brief mention on LEW about replacing the pump seals. Is there a kit or are they generic and available everywhere?

I'll do the cambelt, even though it's not due yet, and check the timing dots at the same time. What advice/experience have others had and how long should I conservatively allow?

DanR

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm noticing a coolant puddle when I move the car out of the garage. Collected it and losing about 50ml after 24hours. From what I can see, I think the coolant's leaking out of a small hole near the nose of the pump which indicates it's getting past the shaft.

Did a search but couldn't find anything other than a brief mention on LEW about  replacing the pump seals. Is there a kit or are they generic and available everywhere?

I'll do the cambelt, even though it's not due yet, and check the timing dots at the same time. What advice/experience have others had and how long should I conservatively allow?

Yes you can reseal it, or you can trade it for a rebuilt one. I got mine from JAE in California. Get a new bearing too.

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/gallery/waterpump

Just remember that the housing has to be heated when pressing the new bearing in or out!!! Very important.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Danny, rebuilt the water pump in my car with a kit from Dave Bean Engineering in California.

had no problems doing the job, but found a decient hydraulic press is neccesary!

Heres the (used)instructions so you can see what it entails. :angry:

Waterpump1.jpg

Waterpump2.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg