free hit
counters
S1 featured in Practical Performance Car - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Blanchard

S1 featured in Practical Performance Car

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Shah, that S2 is lovely :)

Always thought the Yamaha SHO engine was in search of a decient chassis B)

So thay are hooking a TWIN TURBO LS-1 to the Uni 1 Transaxle. :angry:

Even with the Derek Bell stuff it wont last !:(

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

that S1 SHO piping... drool inducing.

Not a fan of the wheels though :angry:

whoa. twin turbo.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

I don't know about the effect on the handling and balance of the car..

but somewhat, I like the works they did (both the Chevy V8 twin turbo and the SHO)

hmm....may be if my car breaks down one day, I will put a Lamborghini Jalpha engine in it...haha

That article is Pulitzer material! :huh:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Why can't people see that a dinosaur OHV US V8 in an Esprit

it is an insult for the brand.

Instead it should be equipped with an light weight high

revving engine, Like a Honda Vtec, FordCosworth 2ltr

Or maybe a high revving DOHC V6 or 4cyl turbo.

But a Lotus should NEVER be equipped with a OHV engine.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

It should be equipped with its original engine...

Thanks as well for the scan.

Too bad it was such a lame article. Seems like 3 pages of 13-year-old boy bench racing.

I can understand why folks would consider a modern engine transplant in their S1, but the LS1 is probably not most Lotus owners cup of tea.

Personally I was considering a Toyota 1UFZE. You can buy them all day long for under $1000, and I believe there is a company in New Zealand that manufactures performance parts.

At least I was able to enjoy the beautiful pics of the Orange S1.

An S1 is featured in Practical Performance Car magazine this month.  The article is about planting a Chevy LS1 5.7 V8 engine (from the Corvette) in the car.  It's an on going project and they're also thinking of putting the Renault gearbox in it  :lol: .

The magazine is less than complimentary about the Esprit, saying "They fall apart like Christmas trees in January" and "these cars have some of the worst craftsmanship a civislised country has produced in years."  They were equally negative last year when they featured Rob Shepard's SE.  So, they're ignorant in my view, but they do say "it has looks that can halt traffic," so not all bad.

espritturbo-S1Esprit1.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ran an early S2 in the early Eighties. I did 112.00 miles in it as my only, all use, car. I was selling on the road at the time. Nothing fell off it, nothing major went wrong with it, it was as reliable as any car I have owned, as all my Lotus cars have been. I even sold it at a substantial profit. This myth that they are unreliable is fuelled by people who don't maintain them and spread by people who obviously have no experience of them.

The most unreliable cars I ever owned were two VW beetles which broke down with monotonous regularity and the myth is they are ultra reliable. Never believe anything without personal experience.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

. . . and just got an email from PPC confirming they're doing it.

Hi Mark

Thanks for the info and nice to talk to you at the show.

I'm trying to clear some space in the garage for it now.

Cheers

Kevin Leaper

MD Practical Performance Car

Very cool :lol:

Hopefully they can do a better job of researching this project than 5th Smear did (not) researching theirs!

Apart from the fact it has kinda been done... surely a nice VTec engine would sit better (although not sound as good) - nice and lightweight and very compact :D

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

My opinion stands. Kind of cool... kind of disappointing at the same time. Not very good for the Lotus name, anyways. I don't think any of us like to hear "oh, those Lotus engines are no good and need to be pulled for more cubes"... especially when the 900 series works just fine for us :D But the redneck in me still thinks it's kind of cool :lol: Looking forward to hearing from Kev first hand :(

I'm just imagining a bunch of people with the 5k or so required to buy a shoddy S1 who have much less engineering experience or foresight than Kev probably, hacking them up into pieces trying to attempt such a conversion :(

Slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

I'm just imagining a bunch of people with the 5k or so required to buy a shoddy S1 who have much less engineering experience or foresight than Kev probably, hacking them up into pieces trying to attempt such a conversion :lol:

Slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts exactly.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE