free hit
counters
SJ Tubular Manifold - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

SJ Tubular Manifold

I've asked this before but just in case anyone can help seeing as it's Bank holiday and Steve is uncontactable 'til Tuesday.

Has anyone fitted SJs tubular manifold to their S2? Just put the head

and manifold back on and the manifold is jammed up against the lower

diagonal tube of the chassis. There needs to be some adjustment made

but I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm afraid that any tampering with

the chassis will ruin the galvanising and lead to future corrosion

problems. Have thought about bending the manifold tube to create a gap

but not sure this will be sufficient. Any ideas?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete - Does Troy's post in this thread help? :angry:

http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...?showtopic=3636

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Ahhh!!! - Sorry! :angry:

Is that similar to the one Bibs bought?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I`ve just bought the SJ manifold for my S3 so not sure how this differs from the S2 chassis. I`m having trouble just getting the old manifold off. The nuts have some corrosion on and they seem to have down-sized so neither a 12mm, 13mm or 1/2" open ended spanner fits. I`m about to admit defeat unless anyone has a solution. I haven`t fitted this yet so can`t comment whether it fits or not.

Cheers

Dan

Thanks Robin but it's a different shape. On mine the four pipes are already welded into a single exit.

Cheers,

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Pete

I am helping a friend replace the exhaust

and manifold system on 78 S2, we

just received the SJ manifold yesterday

ours is a same design like yours but I

took the old exhaust out and the new

exhaust looks like is little longer and the

plate that came with it was different with

2 bolts welded to it, was yours that way?

and how did you get the old manifold out?

looks very tight in there the mount is on

the way, is it doable with the engine in?

any help would be great

thanks in advance

Tony

Dan,

Don't give up! It is a bitch to remove and you may need to saw some of the nuts off - a tiring and time consuming job as there's no space for an angle grinder! Lots of WD40 and swearing will eventually get it of!

Have you got any pictures of the new manifold so I can see if it is the same as mine?

Cheers,

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Is that similar to the one Bibs bought?

Mine

79s4990cs.jpg

http://www.rdent.com/pages/parts.html

$415 + about $200 shipping and tax I think.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On my S2, I have to undo the engine mount, undo the diagonal chassis tube and lift the engine up to get it off the studs. Otherwise it clonks up against something.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Dan,

Don't give up! It is a bitch to remove and you may need to saw some of the nuts off  - a tiring and time consuming job as there's no space for an angle grinder! Lots of WD40 and swearing will eventually get it of!

Have you got any pictures of the new manifold so I can see if it is the same as mine?

Cheers,

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are the pictures, notice the size difference ???

photo_042106_001.jpg

photo_042106_002.jpg

photo_042106_003.jpg

Hi Pete

Jason posted the pictures, that's the exhaust

system I am helping to install but I wanted to

make sure you had the same setup before I

go through the trouble to remove the manifold,

was your new muffler little longer to?

and if I remove the wood trunk floor will that

give me any more access and did you finish

installing yours? if you did how did you fix your

manifold being jammed up against the lower

diagonal tube? and do you like the sound?

any power gains?

Thanks

Tony

Here are the pictures, notice the size difference ???

Tony,

I didn't get a new back box as the old one's fine but the manifold is the same. Now I'm worried the centre pipe will be too short! I haven't fitted it all yet as still waiting on some parts and the car is about 150 miles away at my folks house so I can only do a bit at a time when I get a free weekend.

Don't remove the wood flooring, it doesn't help at all!

Will keep you posted. Hopefully will be doining it all beginning of May.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete, I`m going to attack it again over the next few days. a bit at a time until I get achy and cheesed off! Sounds the same as there are four seperate stainless steel sections to bolt on to the head, then each tube fits into a downpipe (with four holes in). The shape of this downpipe looks a bit different to the one I took off (see pic). Maybe you can see if your chassis is the same from the pics.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dan

Dan,

Don't give up! It is a bitch to remove and you may need to saw some of the nuts off - a tiring and time consuming job as there's no space for an angle grinder! Lots of WD40 and swearing will eventually get it of!

Cheers,

Pete

post-748-1145897869.jpg

post-748-1145897927.jpg

post-748-1145897944.jpg

post-748-1145897966.jpg

post-748-1145897986.jpg

Edited by dan chambers

Hi Dan,

Keep at it! Your new setup is different to mine. The old manifolds are identical...so it can be removed! My new one has the 4 pipes already joined at the end going into a single pipe, but the result will be the same. Seems a better idea would have been to get the 4 pipes going into 2 and then into a single a this would make for a much smoother air flow...but I'm no expert, just a thought.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Dan,

Keep at it! Your new setup is different to mine. The old manifolds are identical...so it can be removed! My new one has the 4 pipes already joined at the end going into a single pipe, but the result will be the same. Seems a better idea would have been to get the 4 pipes going into 2 and then into a single a this would make for a much smoother air flow...but I'm no expert, just a thought.

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The type of exhaust you propose, a 4-2-1, is used to increase low-end torque at the expense of top-end power. A 4 into 1, like in the pictures is best at high revs so gives the higher power. It's to do with the tuning of the pressure pulses in the pipes. But nobody buys things to increase torque at the expense of peak power. They just want the highest peak power.

Either should be better than the standard set-up, though.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi Tony,

Not sure if you've fitted the exhaust system et but this is where I am at the moment.

Finally got manifold fitted. Goes on fine and you could do it with the head on but it will be a bit fiddly.

The new back box you have is correct. I thought I could use the old back box but it comes up too short so I'll have to order a new one which is a shame!

The removable brace bar is going to need moving to create space as the manifold will not go in with the bar in place. Think I'm going to have to manufacture an extension for the bracket at the front as bending the bar will mean it won't fit into the current mountings.

Oh well...

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

By how much does the brace bar hit the exhaust? Can you dent the pipes enough for it to miss? It won't affect the engine performance and I don't like the idea of the chassis stffness being compromised by removing or weakening the triangulation.

By how much does the brace bar hit the exhaust?  Can you dent the pipes enough for it to miss?  It won't affect the engine performance and I don't like the idea of the chassis stffness being compromised by removing or weakening the triangulation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi Trevor,

A 1/4 inch dent would allow the bar to locate properly but would still be touching the manifold. Then there's the question of engine movement, how much space should be allowed for that? I agree with you on the rigidity thing which is why I want to change the bracket as surely a bent or dented bar will have lost a certain amount of strength? All I need to do is allow the bar to locate about 3 inches to the left at the front and, problem solved.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete, I`m going to attack it again over the next few days.  a bit at a time until I get achy and cheesed off!  Sounds the same as there are four seperate stainless steel sections to bolt on to the head, then each tube fits into a downpipe (with four holes in).  The shape of this downpipe looks a bit different to the one I took off (see pic).  Maybe you can see if your chassis is the same from the pics.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dan

Dan,

Don't give up! It is a bitch to remove and you may need to saw some of the nuts off  - a tiring and time consuming job as there's no space for an angle grinder! Lots of WD40 and swearing will eventually get it of!

Cheers,

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I fitted an SJ system to my S3 a few years back, it was an absolute nightmare to remove the old manifold. All the nuts were rusted and seized. I bought a cheap Dremel type tool from a DIY shop and used the cutting disk tool to split the nuts, about 20 cutting disks later all nuts were removed! Some of the studs just unscrewed by hand!!! Cant remember having a problem fitting the new system apart from lack of space to get your hands in there!

Thanks, I have a Dremel and I`ve been using it - great minds!

One stud unscrewed when I undid the nut but the rest are well seized!

Did you use the dremel with the manifold in the car or with the head off (and did you cut up/muller the manifold with a hacksaw). I lie underneath trying to dream up new ways to get my hands to the nuts. Hopefully I`ll get it done this year. At least I`m not doing the turbo model I suppose.

Cheers

Hi, I fitted an SJ system to my S3 a few years back, it was an absolute nightmare to remove the old manifold. All the nuts were rusted and seized. I bought a cheap Dremel type tool from a DIY shop and used the cutting disk tool to split the nuts, about 20 cutting disks later all nuts were removed! Some of the studs just unscrewed by hand!!! Cant remember having a problem fitting the new system apart from lack of space to get your hands in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I managed to do the job with the head in place and manifold came out without any hacksawing. Not much help for you I know, I may have smaller hands than you! It did take a while to do during the evenings. I think I had to leave one or two studs in place as they were seized solid. The threads for the nuts to go on were OK. I applied some copper grease to the new nuts and studs that went on.

Currently got my steering rack off and fitting new intermediate u/j on steering column, another ridiculous job to try and do with legs in the air and head in the footwell!

Wayne

Hi Tony,

Not sure if you've fitted the exhaust system et but this is where I am at the moment.

Finally got manifold fitted. Goes on fine and you could do it with the head on but it will be a bit fiddly.

The new back box you have is correct. I thought I could use the old back box but it comes up too short so I'll have to order a new one which is a shame!

The removable brace bar is going to need moving to create space as the manifold will not go in with the bar in place. Think I'm going to have to manufacture an extension for the bracket at the front as bending the bar  will mean it won't fit into the current mountings.

Oh well...

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pete,

I still haven't got a chance to work on the exhaust , I have been

to busy with the electrical work on the S2 and just put together

the S4 I rebuild the gear box, I have couple more projects before

I can mess with the exhaust .

How far are you?

are you happy with it?

were you able to clear it from the brace bar?

Tony