free hit
counters
What MPG do you get out of your Lotus? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
dodgy

What MPG do you get out of your Lotus?

The title says it all really

In my 81 carb Turbo Esprit, I seem to be getting around 23 to 27 mpg (27 on a run)

I was wondering what everyone else was getting in the other variants/ models ???

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My Federal S2 used to get about 23 to 25 mpg running around North Carolina. That's per US gallon so it's equivalent to about 27 to 30 miles per imperial gallon. Not being thrashed but would normally see 7,000 rpm at least once per journey but be stuck behind other, slower traffic at other times.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

My average for my 2000 miles round trip to LOG 16 in Atlanta and back in 1996 was 30.5 US mpg . (of course that was steady highway cruising for the most part with a some quick bursts at the LOG event and slowing down to 30mph in some local villages I passed though along the way. (Car was/is modified to Dellortos with Dave Bean SS headers and exhaust). Very pleased with the mpg and performance in these rising gas price times. BTW: I remember noting at the other Atlanta LOG event in 1998 the local gas prices were 69 cents per gallon !!! (but I flew down and rented a car locally that year). I see current Atlanta gas prices are around $2.80, but currently I'm paying about $3.20 locally in Rochester. Thank you Lotus for "adding lightness". thumbsup.gif

( I usually get 22-25 mpg on a fill-up when driving with enthusiasm on back roads )

Edited by comem47

I'd rather not think about it, it would spoil the fun :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Just crusin' on the freeway I get a bit over 30, not sure when I get into it.

With the Elan in days past I could get up to 44, but down as low as 12 when competing ! :shock:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

In the Evora I average 30-32mpg, but have seen 40mpg on a run to Folkestone (cruise control set at 70mph). Have had it in the low 20's when showing off.

Bob, Georgia has lower fuel tax than most states, and definitely lower than the rest of the southeast- and the southeast tends to have low fuel prices before tax due to proximity to the refineries, which are mostly along the Gulf Coast in Louisiana and TexSux. I have no idea why Georgia's fuel tax is so low, maybe it's to make up for having the country's highest auto insurance...dunno.

The highest prices I have seen is USA were in San Francisco, where it was above $3 in 2002 and was more than fifty cents per gallon more than what I was used to paying in Dallas (where I lived at the time).

As stated in another thread, my '86 Turbo gets about 13-15 city and 20-ish highway per US gallon. I do know that the car still needs some tuning-up and minor sorting, but I don't expect a dramatic improvement in MPG to result.

Edited by The Veg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Ben, I can't say what is typical for the G turbo cars. Of course my S2 is only 2.0L normally aspirated. I imagine by moving up to 2.2L and mostly the turbo (when you get on it) will knock down those mpgs. I wonder too about the lower compression ration in the turbo cars for efficiency when you are not getting on it. (I know there were changes there too over the years in CR and going from carbs to injection)

-Bob

Edited by comem47

$3.20 a gallon? Bargain. We're currently at around £1.25 per litre! (Is that approx $8.50 per gallon, or is my maths hopeless?)

Yes, I realize we have it better here for gas prices (shock hit me in '89 when I went to the UK. I was also impressed at the time how well a 1.6 L car would perform compared to a similar car in the US ). Still we pale compared places like Venezuela where you're still talking pennies per gallon!!! (I realize heavily subsidized and most price on gas is local tax levies)

post-9355-0-14819200-1294685474.jpg

Edited by comem47

I would have thought for esprit drivers it would be more relevant to talk in GPM? No?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

My Esprit S4s registers SPG...smiles per gallon :thumbsup:

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

I only ever calculated it once....which was my first weekend with the car, so it included lots of traffic light fun and general hoonery.

I got 9 mpg....

I haven't bothered calculating it since then....it is what it is. I don't care. It's still fab.

My avatar on the old elite/eclat forum said "8 cylinders....9miles per gallon..."

MPG is not what a esprit about, it about fun.

True, but it doesn't hurt when you can have your cake and eat it too. Of course early Esprits can't compare with the later ones performance-wise , but the performance is decent enough and nobody can complain about Elise/Exige/Evora for fun per performing mpg in these times.

Edited by comem47

My early S3 Turbo does circa 23-24 running around and 27-28 on a 80mph run. Yet to find out what the V8 does.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Esprit V8 22.4mpg

Elise SC 32.1mpg

Evora with C/R Box 27.2mpg

Join Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland here!  and on Facebook 

Unless other wise organised somewhere else and details posted on the forum the default location for the LEGS Breakfast meets are on the 1st Sunday of the month at Mannerstons Cafe and Farm Shop EH49 7LY between 10:00am and midday.

My 88 Carb turbo does about 20 mpg but what fun. The downside is premium higher octane petrol now around £1.35 a gallon in South East. Must get around to fixing the leaky tanks.

When I had the Sport350 for 3 months last year, I covered 3,000 miles and spent £1,000 on fuel. At £5/gallon that's 200 gallons so 15mpg. Easy! :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

My 88 Carb turbo does about 20 mpg but what fun. The downside is premium higher octane petrol now around £1.35 a gallon in South East. Must get around to fixing the leaky tanks.

Where's that petrol station, Mike? That's cheap petrol unless they are lying to you and it's £1.35 a litre.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Anyone with an Elise, Exige or Europa want to add their MPG?

I am looking for a new everyday car, with doing 300 mile a week just going to work and back and the cost of fuel, something more economical than an Esprit would be good :whistle:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Figures in standard 128oz US gallon.

'02 V8 here...gets a reasonably decent, IMO, 15 around town, and near 25 on highway (24.5 to be honest). Not much worse than my '06 Cooper S which got 20/30. Plenty more power than the Mini as well. Quite happen with the performance both in power and milage when compared to other cars in similar class. Driving style is VERY reserved. To be honest, engine rarely sees above 5K, which I'm sure attributes to the better milage.