free hit
counters
My manifold is cracked……Cast or Stainless replacement? - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My manifold is cracked……Cast or Stainless replacement?

I've got a dyno day on the cards at TDI in Lakeside, free too with a suitable charity donation per run for 10-15 of us. Should be sorted in the next few days.

The thing with these manifolds that we need to consider is that exhaust gases are pushed out of each cylinder in a pulse, it's not a continuous stream. If that pulse, say from cylinder 1 is on it's way down the manifold as and is passing the manifold join for cylinder 4 as the exhaust valves are opening then the first pulse will be pushing the 2nd set of gases back into the cylinder rather than sucking them out. Getting the timing right 'scavenges' the gasses and the low pressure between pulses is a vacuum and pulls the gases out. A poorly set up manifold will reduce HP, not increase it as it's making the piston work harder to eject the gasses so unless it's right, you can see a loss just as easily as a gain.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well my stainless manifold has been used for teh past 7 months in all weather still sounds great and the car pulls realy well, makes agreat sound going up the m18, running a full stainless system inc sports cat. quite a lot of weight lost by ditching the standard lotus system (and a lot of cash). mines running an uprated chip k&n airfilter and b.o.v. (recirculating type)

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Count me in Bibs as the first on the list for Dyno testing at lakeside, we could perhaps combine this with a hoon into the city to take pics of the cars against city buildings and well known land marks, or may be the next day.

Anyway a rolling road test would be great.

Dave

• 7 months later...

Hi ,if your still looking for a stainless Steel manifold for the stevens esprit turbo , I've just fitted one just developed by Alunox Exhausts as shown on the LotusEspritWorld website. Its made a big difference in performance and sounds better. It seems to bring together all the other mods I've made. Mark

Hi ,if your still looking for a stainless Steel manifold for the stevens esprit turbo , I've just fitted one just developed by Alunox Exhausts as shown on the LotusEspritWorld website. Its made a big difference in performance and sounds better. It seems to bring together all the other mods I've made. Mark

So what holds your turbo up?

The problem with the above design is that it won't be strong enough to hold the weight of the turbo once it gets warm...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I wish you well but I feel travis is right big weak point where the turbo and manifold meet, this was one of the areas that I ensured my stainless manifold was supported. Now got a good few 1000 miles on it and seems good the pipes on mine look quite a bit wider than yours so another variation now available so it's all good

It's Oogies turn to boogie

I have done over 2000 miles on the manifold and the LOT track day at Donington on the 12th Aug (Evening). It hasn't moved at all as I have checked it. It is made of the 321 grade of stainless. The company who have made it ,are going to fit a brace just for piece of mind. Apparently they make manifolds for Nobel and the bracing technique used there will be adapted for the Esprit. I will post it when done.

Mark.

Hi , I've now had it braced as mentioned before . The manifold has to be allowed to move due to expansion . This style of bracing allows the manifold to expand horizontally whilst supporting vertically. The standard Lotus bracing was based on linking the exhaust flange on the 4th port to the turbo flange. On this style of manifold that could cause a problem due to the rate of expansion in the down pipes section being greater than that of a top brace occurring during the heating and cooling cycle.

The elbow or down pipe section feeding the turbo flange is where the greatest concentration of heat occurs.

If you interested in this and want to know more you can contact Leon at Alunox Exhausts on 01978 – 851100. Also he has just finished a set of manifolds for a Lotus 72

post-13397-0-06948300-1315946759.jpg

Edited by MarkKassim
  • 10 months later...

I had the manifold on my GT 3 replaced about 18 months ago. I'm not sure where it came from but I'll ask the guy who do

Did the work. (ithought it was an OEM part)

I have noticed that since replacing it, the initial acceleration is not as aggressive which is majorly disappointing as it was rapid before.

I'm going to have to do some more research.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update on the stainless Steel manifold from Alunox Exhausts, it’s been over a year now and I've done about 4 track days.It’s held up well and I have full confidence in it. The manufacture is now offering a warrantee on the manifold if any bodies interested, call Leon on 01978 8551100

post-13397-0-79966100-1349986327.jpg

Edited by MarkKassim

Long pipes for a turbo and its lacking the support most other fabricated ones found they've needed to hold the weight of the turbo.

How does it drive (rolling road would be nice) and any signs of cracks?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

No sign of cracks , it is made of a high grade of stainless steel 321, would be good to put on dyno as power increase is noticable along with quicker throttle responce. Its also has the effect of reducing the lag due to the quicker spool up of the turbo. The gaskets come with the kit along with studs and nuts. Alunox are interested in group buys to bring the price down . The kit is now on special offer at a price of £990 from £1200 for a single purchase. If a number of people are interested a group buy could reduce it further.

As far I know that includes VAT, but if your interested if we can get a group buy of 10 then the price will come down to £850. All the gaskets stainless studs and nuts are included in the price. Alunox make full systems for the racing teams , the gaskets are made of the same material as the Cosworth F1 series cars and the Lotus Type 72. I have to say this manifold not only eliminates the problems of the cast one which I believe is £831 from Lotus, but also enhances the drive of the car at weather you’re driving it hard or even taking your time you will notice the difference.

So if anybody is interested let me know, on here or e-mail me on [email protected]

post-13397-0-34809600-1350923289.jpg

post-13397-0-68351700-1350923445.jpg

Edited by MarkKassim

At £850 all in I'd be interested. Not sure about the composite gaskets, I've had more trouble in the past with those types than the steel shim style gaskets.

I know there's been issues with supporting the turbos on Nobles so I'd like to know a bit more about the bracing too (i.e. how does it allow for the expansion?). Does the brace connect to the turbo or manifold flange? If it's the latter then it would be good to see a different flange used rather than an 'afterthought' connection.

Wow! 850-1200 pounds. I was charging 600 U.S. First batch had issues which was corrected and to my knowledge none of the second batch manifolds had any issues, fitment or otherwise. The manifolds were stainless and coated with a heat transfer material. I now have almost 40,000 on the prototype with no cracks, leaks or other issues. Single gaskets at both the head and turbo with a thin coating of high-temp silicone on both sides of the gasket.

I just wish the rest of the car was holding up as well as the manifold.

AL B.

Yes your right the brace is connected to the turbo flange bolt on my car as its the early manifold but new ones have a dedicated bracket. The brace has a rod end bearing either side allowing it to move with expansion. Your point about the steel shim style gaskets , if you use cheap studs and nuts they stretch under heat and then start to come loose when they cool off and go through the heat cycle again. The kit comes with right studs and nuts and I haven't had any problems so far and been over a year now.

I asked that ,and I am told the liner is Phosphorus bronze which will take the very temperatures the system reaches. Because of the expansion caused by this , the brace allows movement horizontally whilst resisting it vertically due bumps in the road e.t.c.

Edited by MarkKassim