free hit
counters
Getting S1 tartan weaved up- custom batch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mtooze

Getting S1 tartan weaved up- custom batch

Not sure if this is the appropriate location, but I assume admin will move it if not!

I have a federal S1, bone stock. Still has the original tartan interior and orange carpet in not bad shape (car only has 18k). However, I will be performing a full resto as I cant leave well enough alone. I spoke to Nick Fulcher about buying materials from him for the interior redo but he wasn't cooperative (I can understand...he has the golden egg, I too, would protect that stash of material!). SO then I thought, well, the material was weaved once, it can be weaved again.

I have been talking to a mill about getting both the tartan and the green material reproduced. I talked to the mill today and he said no problem replicating the tartan, but hes still researching the green nylon/poly twill. The funny part was, he asked what the material was from because its pretty crap quality. We both had a laugh when I told him a mid 70's british sports car. Turns out he grew up in the UK (as did I)...just that unspoken acknowledgement of terrible 70's british car quality.

Anyways, I will likely have a 30 yard run made up (thats the min) of this stuff. Way more that I need. Is there any interest from the purists? I will get samples first from the mill...I told them it needs to be exact or I will not go to the expense.

Im not asking for people to go in with me. I will buy it etc, then sell on as folks request, but just wanted to see if there was any interest whatsoever?

Marcus ([email protected])

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Be very careful...

I went down this route before i knew about Nick.

I have already had a mill run off the red and green tartan and the green cloth to mimic the original fabric, weave paten, colour etc etc.......I tried to match it in every detail.

After talking to Nick we looked at the cloth i had run up in detail...(he didn't have any of the original spec cloth at that time)..... and the bottom line is that it has to stretch in the right direction if you want it to fit correctly over the curves of the seats etc.

Most importantly it has to pass a rub test which means its suitable for upholstery use in a heavily used area.

Just think about how something as hard wearing as a leather interior looks on the chairs etc after a bit of use.

I have the cloth i bought sitting in a cupboard upstairs, if you really want to go down that route then i am sure we can come to some sort of arrangement.

I know its a very expensive option to use Nick but his workmanship is outstanding.

Take a look at the tartan pattern on your seats and you will see that it maintains its check ratio even though the seat has ribs in it. That is very hard to achieve if you don't know how to do it. Also the double line stitching throughout the interior has to be spot on or it looks pretty crappy.

Nick was involved in the design of the S1 interior from day one and he discussed what could and couldn't be done with Colin Chapman and Guigiaro and its no mistake that the standard retrim for even a half decent S1 is to have a Nick Fulcher interior.

Nick has my interior and he will be doing it.

Its your call obviously but its one hell of a lot of work to do if it doesn't look right.

Just out of curiosity...does anyone know how much a retrim by Nick costs?

Edited by GavinS1

Cheers, Gavin

Usually around the £10k mark.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

My car doesn't need it, but maybe a kilt in Esprit tartan...

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

The green and tartan isn't the problem the orange carpet is. The green material has already been remade and as far as I'm aware it's the same stuff Nick uses, SJ sell it by the yard. As for the tartan Dave Noble located some off the shelf from a mill somewhere - ask him.

However, orange carpet is another story I've yet to find anybody that sells it - 30 years too late I think!! Nick was having it made but is probably unwilling to sell any - I haven't asked.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Yes, I already spoke to Nick (see my original post)...he's not interested in selling any materials at all...thats fine, its his stash. He mentioned he did sell to a retrimmer and the retrimmer did a crap job so Nick said he wouldnt waste the material again.

With regards to what SJ sells....I see they do indeed sell both the green and the tartan. Is the tartan they sell not the same/correct? Anyone ever looked at it?

Lastly, I would love to have my car done by Nick, but the car in Nebraska, USA. He was somewhat reticent about just having me ship the interior and really wants the car there for him to work on. Now, its not just a quick jaunt from Nebraska to a port (closest is Galveston over 1000 miles away). So that means I would have to containerize here, then rail/truck it to the port, then get it over to the UK. Even with a cousin in the overseas freighting business I'm looking at about $4000 each way (~2500 quid) and that before I have to pay Nick!!! Hence my interest in sourcing material myself...and there are some talented interior folks over here so I wouldnt have some problem giving them a shot.

Thx for the info so far though.

Marcus

Just been to see my trimmer mate today........Whow! :thumbsup:

My Tartan interior is looking stunning, the seats have had all the foam repaired and are looking great with the tartan and green material applied. Once the headrests are done I will post some pics.

The guy who is doing mine says it is one of the hardest jobs he has done and spent two weeks already on it, As Nick strips out and rebuilds the car after his costs are not that bad really.

Paul is correct, I have sourced some Tartan which is spot on but I will let you guys judge in a couple of weeks, The material was very expensive to buy and you need alot of it. Approx 10 metres of the Tartan and 15 metres of the green have been used. The Tartan only came in half standard width though. I was short and have contacted the mill who are looking for some more as what I bought was a very old stock supply, I took it all at the time thinking I would have enough for a second car. As I am doing my headrests in green to match the Bond theme I will be OK, I was having a second set done in Tartan in case I want to change back to original standard.

If the mill come up trumps I will buy all they have left so I can have some spare and let the rest go to other members, they can make more but with a Massive run only which will be extremely costly. The last run was approx 15 years ago they said.

I do have some other material but it is slightly wrong dimensionally, I was going to use it though, I am in contact with other mills at present as I spend a lot of time in Scotland working.

I am in the process of sorting the carpet at present, I am going to get a few sets made.

I have also managed to source an Ashtray in stunning condition to finish it all off.

IMG_0700.GIF.46dc41b84d1ba3ad1334434b317aa57e.GIF Do or do not, there is no try! 

Dave, would u mind giving me an email off line ([email protected]) and shooting me your phone number? Would like to have a chat w you about your materials (my phone expense). Ill probably be back in the UK in Feb for a weekend but I'd like to see if we can work something out.

Marcus

Good timing on this posting! I was about to ask if anyone new how much material you need to retrim an S1. Dave you say 10m of tartan and 15 of green but how wide is the material your using? Mine isnt a tartan interior but a two tone velour job in yukky brown and champagne so will probably go grey and black instead.

Phil

I bought 9 metres of green and 2 of tartan to do my car. I don't think I miscalculated but I haven't finished yet!!

Paul.

Paul: Steve at SJ reckons he is finding some orange carpet sources....but then I dont know how long hes been telling people that either. Did u get your tartan/green from SJ? Do you like the match?

M

I bought 10 metres of green and needed another 5 to complete, the Tartan I have is only 31" wide but again I needed between 7 and 10 metres to ensure the correct square spacing etc.

The match from green to tartan is 100% perfect.

Paul, I guess your Tartan was from a full width roll?

IMG_0700.GIF.46dc41b84d1ba3ad1334434b317aa57e.GIF Do or do not, there is no try! 

Marcus : yes Steve at SJ has been sourcing some orange carpet for a while now. And yes I did buy the green from him. I think the colour is fine but the new stuff is a lot more elastic than the original so it's not easy to work with, particularly on the seats. My tartan came from a roll of the original.

Dave : Yes my tartan was from a full width roll and I'm gonna be a bit miffed if I haven't got enough green with 9 metres because I measured it twice. If I ever get any enthusiasm I guess I'll find out!!

Paul.

I have managed to get hold of just over 18 metres of material, this is good as I have a spare set of seats, door cards and rear panel I can get trimmed and move on with enough green for someone to finish the other parts. Just need to talk my trimming mate around now as he is not keen. I am going to keep some spare in case I need it and so I can always change my headrests back to tartan if I need to.

I should have enough left for one more re-trim.

Still sorting carpets with various samples now with me, can't help thinking Lotus should have used red for the carpets though as it would match so much better, Still who am I to question the 70's styles as I was only being the same time as the Esprit! :scared: