Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Thermostat - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Thermostat

esprithk

I found this in PUK web site.

but still don't understand it....

where do you install this? (same location as the engine oil filter??)

what's the purpose?

by the way, does the Lotus Esprit have the engine oil cooler or transmission oil cooler built in?

**or the chargecooler is already an engine oil cooler?

(most cars install a "radiator look" cooler...so I am confused)

I am thinking about adding this components to the car.

Edited by esprithk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this in PUK web site.

but still don't understand it....

where do you install this? (same location as the engine oil filter??)

what's the purpose?

by the way, does the Lotus Esprit have the engine oil cooler or transmission oil cooler built in?

**or the chargecooler is already an engine oil cooler?

(most cars install a "radiator look" cooler...so I am confused)

I am thinking about adding this components to the car.

The oil cooler thermostat replaces the oil cooler adapter sandwich plate (behind the oil filter) and keeps the oil from going to the front oil coolers until it reaches a certain temperature, after the engine is warmed up.

In the winter it takes a long time to get the oil warm because it is going through the coolers. This helps the engine get up to temp faster, and makes it wear less.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Noooo....

The charge cooler is the red box ontop of your engine, thats your post turbo air cooler!

The oil coolers are mounted at the front of the car and are small "radiator look" units as you said.

Chunky Lover

Noooo....

The charge cooler is the red box ontop of your engine, thats your post turbo air cooler!

The oil coolers are mounted at the front of the car and are small "radiator look" units as you said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok..thx!

I get it now...

so the Esprit has this installed.....I can save some money

FWIW, the chargecooler also has a small radiator mounted at the front along with the oil coolers, a/c condensor if you have a/c, and the standard coolant radiator....

1995 S4s

ok..thx!

I get it now...

so the Esprit has this installed.....I can save some money

No. The Esprit has 1 or 2 front mounted oil coolers (depending on year). The earlier cars have one oil cooler, the SE's+ all have 2 oil coolers.

They all have a sandwich plate adapter at the oil filter to send oil to the front of the car and through the oil cooler (small radiator(s)).

They do not come with a thermostat!

If you want the oil to warm up faster, you can replace the sandwich plate with the oil cooler thermostat. Once the oil gets warm, the thermostat will open and allow oil to go to the front oil coolers. This will reduce wear on the engine since it takes longer to warm up if it flowing through the oil coolers. Cool oil doesn't work as well as warm oil. But you also don't want the oil to get too hot.

The chargecooler is an intake air cooler after the turbo, it uses a waterpump and a front mounted radiator as well. Totally seperate from the oil colers.

The front of an SE has

1 engine radiator

1 AC condensor (radiator looking thing)

1 Chargecooler radiator

and 2 oil coolers on either side

that's 5 radiators! (sorry Jim, didn't see your post)

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

thx I understand it.

I just ordered the oil thermostat

I was planning to order both the oil coolers and transmission oil coolers.

now, the only thing I need to buy is possibly the transmission oil cooler...(if I can fiqure out where to fit it under the car, and to avoid rocks from hitting it)