free hit
counters
clutch wear - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone needed a replacement clutch on a LE Evora yet? I have done 10,000 miles (no track days) and the clutch is beginning to feel decidedly worn - may just need adjustment (ever the optimist). I needed new rear tyres at 8,000 miles, which seems par for the course, so I do not think I am mistreating the car.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fairly major job, be interested to see how you get on with this...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Rear clam off isn't it?

I thought 24 hours but all the same...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hmmm ........

Was a modified clutch assembly fitted with the CR gearbox? Possibly not have a bearing on any wearing components themselves though. (Pun unintentional ,so I'll leave it!)

Owners of the S will doubtless have particular interest in this story, given the higher torque. On the other hand, perhaps the finances ...............

Anyway I'll be concentrating on perfecting my gearchanges - and no hill starts!

Clutch is the same whether it's standard box or CR. However, the 'S' uses a lighter flywheel and different clutch plate etc. Maybe an uprated version can be fitted under warranty!! I'm sure Guy could throw it in with a service!?

The problem seemed to be air in the hydraulics. OK now after having been bled. Will let you all know if it recurrs.

Very relieved it is not 30 hours labour - B&C fixed the problem for free - not sure they would be so generous if it took them 30 hours!

Incidentally, reversing camera also went kaput - replaced free by B&C. Alpine said it was due to frost!

Well that's good news and good service. I think Alpine need a good slap. Frost indeed! As modern car components are routinely tested down to -40 degrees the reversing camera should laugh at frost. And there is no way Alpine should have signed off that sat nav/multi-media unit with all the issues that people have had. It has let down an otherwise excellent car.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

5379305552_1ce8335481_z.jpg5379306346_80394220ca_z.jpg

As you can see I can confirm it is rear clam shell off and engine out to replace the clutch.

From about 6k miles I had been complaining about a vibration that was being transmitted through to the gear stick which would disappear when sideways pressure was applied to it. I mentioned this in a previous post on the Forum.

The car was due to be inspected by a technician from the factory in July and hopefully repaired at the 9K service in September. Due to circumstances the car wasn't inspected until 13,000 miles and it was agreed by the factory technician that the vibration was excessive and he agreed that it needed investigation. As suspected it was a problem with the clutch release bearing, the pressure plate and when dismantled there were a couple of, what I would call scuff marks on the clutch plate. It was also discovered that the cables from the gear stick were rubbing on the under tray.

All were replaced under warranty and the gear change is now perfect and no noise from the gear leaver.

I believe the cost was in the region of £3k

Thought you were a long time coming in on this one with those depressing photos! I bet you wish it was only air in the system! Unfortunately mine is also starting to make the same noise generated the same way at about the same starting miles. Oh er!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Just read in this month's Octane magazine about Nick Mason enjoying the launch control too much when he first bought his Enzo and wore out the clutch in 1,000 miles!

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 1 month later...

Welp, guys, my clutch is currently being worked on, and the plates look nearly identical to bingoking's. I suffered vibrations through the clutch pedal, some grinding/rubbing noise upon pressing and sometimes upon acceleration. Two sundays ago, the clutch pedal had lost pressure, gained it back on another drive, and lost it again.. Even the engine died on my while at speed (70mph). You can read about it on my LT post...

Here are some pics:

182905_10150108282977590_794637589_6327443_5220572_n.jpg

184909_10150108283057590_794637589_6327445_2424830_n.jpg

180841_10150108283372590_794637589_6327455_8328393_n.jpg

181525_10150108282707590_794637589_6327434_595511_n.jpg

183957_10150108282857590_794637589_6327440_7621989_n.jpg

181997_10150108282932590_794637589_6327441_727733_n.jpg

Read your other link with great interest. You seem to have suffered a lot of common Evora failing from very early cars and not the later cars. When was yours built?

Also read about your Difflow Diffuser being fitted and causing excessive tyre wear. What is that? It can't be much worse than the general 6K miles most seem to get can it? !

My car is also making gear linkage possibly clutch sounds as well. It is going in in next week or so for Dealer to listen to different noises and order relevant parts in. I really don't fancy seeing mine looking like the above 2 cars although I at least know the dealer is great and up to speed on the job now having practiced on Brian's! I am hoping I am just gear linkage cables etc for me.

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

^^^ the difflow diffuser was put on only 2.5 months ago, there's no way signficant wear would be on my tires because of it. I have roughly 10,000 miles on the car. Like you said, if your stocks are only lasting 6k miles, then obviously mine would wear out similarly. Keep in mind I've never dipped, or burned out, drifted, or anything that I would consider adding "excessive wear". I consider all the miles I put on this car as normal wear.

BTW, they didn't mention replacing the gear linkages on my car. If you get new ones, definitely report on the difference, as I think the shifter feel is probably the least desirable aspect of my experience driving the Evora. It feels clunky like it came out of a diesel truck :rolleyes:

Edited by Squidward

Thanks for that and I will if I get it changed as the number of missed changes into 3rd I have had don't bear thinking about. Thankfully not yet at a critical time. Also balking selecting reverse etc. etc. We are not alone I know. I am hoping for a test drive of the S in a week or so so looking forward to feeling the difference.

Anyway maybe I am just being dumb but you still haven't explained what the Difflow Diffuser actually is! :hope:

^^^ LOL sorry I totally forgot to answer that question, didn't I??

A diffuser is ground effect mounted on the rear of the car to help extract air from the bottom of the car more efficiently, thereby reducing unwanted turbulence and drag on the vehicle traveling at high speed.

My car with Difflow's diffuser:

179870_10150103909422590_794637589_6280592_1719999_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello All.

I have the same problem. 9,000 km. Hopefully it will be done under warranty.

Vibrations quite obvious at idle, disappear when clutch is pressed. A friend actually remarked 'it sounds like a diesel'. Same vibrations when warm in 4th gear.

I hope it can get fixed under warranty too. Lotus expert will inspect it next week, I understand.

Anthony

Sounds like the same problem as mine.

Are you in Europe and is it an expert from the factory?

Would be interesting to know the overall percentage of Evoras affected by this issue. Small? Large? Or "endemic?" I certainly hope not the latter, as Lotus really needs to turn a profit on this model to ensure long term survival (or to finance the LA party circuit?). :cry:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.