Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rad Fans on the Blink - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rad Fans on the Blink

CarlC

I noticed the other day that after a spirited drive I had to pull up for a minute or two with the engine running. The water temp had rose to just over the 90degree mark which is very unusual for my car. The fans kicked in but seemed quieter than I remember. So I stuck my head under and found only a single fan running. I carfully knocked the failed fans to see if they would start up but to no avail.

Are there any top ideas for repairing or checking out if the motors are knackered ?

Many thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed the other day that after a spirited drive I had to pull up for a minute or two with the engine running. The water temp had rose to just over the 90degree mark which is very unusual for my car. The fans kicked in but seemed quieter than I remember. So I stuck my head under and found only a single fan running. I carfully knocked the failed fans to see if they would start up but to no avail.

Are there any top ideas for repairing or checking out if the motors are knackered ?

Many thanks

I had a screw back out of one of my fans, the screw kept the blades from spinning. Look for that first...

Oh, and check the relay for the fans. Switch it with a similar relay to see if they run.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

iirc the relay controlls the fans in parallel so if one's on the rest should be getting power. Sounds like what travis said or the wiring.

Diconnect the relay/or battery and tryand rotate them by hand - sould be very easy to turn (or at least as easy as the one that works) then go from each fan's terminals with an ohm meter to see if they are connected.

Make sure you be safe though - I've never known fans to cut back in but heard of it sometimes happening.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

iirc the relay controlls the fans in parallel so if one's on the rest should be getting power.  Sounds like what travis said or the wiring.

Diconnect the relay/or battery and tryand rotate them by hand - sould be very easy to turn (or at least as easy as the one that works) then go from each fan's terminals with an ohm meter to see if they are connected.

Make sure you be safe though - I've never known fans to cut back in but heard of it sometimes happening.

Doh, I missed the part about one fan still working. Not the relay then.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

some of mine were seized up through lack of use. air con was empty of gas, and it had a low temp. coolant thermostat in it when i got it. no wonder the fans had seized. took em off and freed em up then lubricated them.

i dont ever remember changing blown fuses though, which is strange if they were seized. its a while back though!

supposed to be Fiesta ones iirc.