free hit
counters
Lotus vs Lotus legal actions starts Mon. 24.Jan - Page 11 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus vs Lotus legal actions starts Mon. 24.Jan

The punishment should fit the crime. Dany should be ordered to loan Petrov to drive for Team Lotus in Malaysia next week. And Heikki and Jarno can flip for who gets dibs on the reciprocal exchange with Renault.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20m GBP or USD per year over a 5 year period that is still a lot of money!

Especially when to me it just looks like for some odd reason the Renault team found a box of old JPS shirts and that's about the extent of the link with Lotus. If Lotus want to up their profile why didn't they do something meaningful like buy the team? Although maybe they don't have the dosh as they've spent it in legal fees! :thumbsup:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

This is at the Royal Courts of Justice isn't it?

There's nothing listed for Lotus vs. Lotus tomorrow?

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/hearing-lists/list-cause-rcj.htm

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

"Newman's second law: Just when things look darkest, they go black."

Paul Newman

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Fernandes said, "We are enormously proud of what we have already achieved in just 18 months and we have done it through hard work and dedication, not by buying seemingly instant success through stickers on a car."

Pretty much sums it up, non?

A part of me says don't blame Lotus Motorcars for trying their best to build up their image, even with racing sponsorship of questionable "linkage," but another part says "can't they at least contribute some of their vast technological skills to the effort?"

Will have to adopt a "watch this space" attitude with regards to LRGP.

Well it appears that eventhough the case may make it difficult for the teams to go after sponsor! It appears that Team Lotus by Tony was able to get DELL to up their supplying deal to a full partnership! Good news for the Norfolk team!

Evora NA

This explains the total media silence around the case at the moment:

pitpass.com

surprised this took so long to turn up. At least we now know why no one has been reporting it.

What is the difference between an overtake and a crash? An overtake is a crash that never happened!

Why are you surprised?

Evora NA

What is odd is that the lawyer quoted says the press ban would be because reporting might prejudice some other case - but what other case? I thought this current case had included all the disputes - GL's disputing of TL's rights to the Lotus name as well as TL's claim that GL broke the Lotus Racing agreement unfairly. This news suggests there is no end in sight :-(

If anyone is interested in my five bobs worth ,here it is;

Whilst we are all led to believe that the exercise is one of branding (group lotus) the marketing "guru" Dany B seems to have missed the boat in the approach !!!!! Ok so we are really not his target market as we are already sold on the brand however what he omits is the future planning from the exercise .Firstly he has a link to a shite product (some may argue the point in favour of a Proton but please all 1 of you please stand up !)

This he has added more exposure to by ensuring that the real fight is not that of Lotus ,but rather a Malaysian one............

In a nutshell ,the potential market for Lotus (initial viz first 5 years of new concept) ,will be a synergy of existing Lotus drivers (relatively easy to market to) and motor enthusiasts .

Maybe ,from a strategic point of view Dany B can answer this question "How many of the said demographic have jumped up (including commentators) and said yay Lotus have two GP's and two third places already ?"

In the circle that really counts for the initial period ,I am afraid Dany B has really blown this one !Renault are probably sitting there saying how great there sales are and guess what LOTUS ARE PAYING FOR THAT !

Although Fernandes is not at the top of the game ,the strategy would be spot on to back this team.Here the true heritage of struggling along and organically growing will bear fruit with impeccable timing.Once Lotus are ready to launch the new generation of cars ,the team lotus should be at Top 10 level ,gaining respect from the initial market and that is marketing synergy at it's best !

So Dany B ,if you are reading this ,remember that you are only as good as your last sale .If you want to leave a legacy ,make sure it is a good one .

To Tony F ,you guys are doing a great job with a real Lotus and will gain respect if you learn to keep your mouth and worry only about the TEAM LOTUS .

Richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

The F1 season has just begun. It now seems inevitable that the initial legal opinion rendered by the current judge (as one must assume that the party ruled against will appeal) will be handed down in mid season. While I have a personal opinion as to what the judgement ought to be, my opinion plus $3 will buy you a decent cup of Joe at the local Starbucks, and nothing more. My question (first asked when this brouhaha first began) is, what happens if 1 Malaysia is stripped of its rights to the name Team Lotus? Can they continue to race, and, if so, what is the protocall for such an event? Has this ever happened before in F1? Do you simply swap out some decals and press on? Or are there FIA restrictions on "changing horses in the middle of the stream?" There are more than a few details to look after, such as the potential for certain colour schemes being deemed proprietary (think green and yellow). How fast can your seamstress put together new racing uniforms? Can your webmaster update (rebuild?) your site on short notice? What affect does a name change have on previous sponsorship agreements? Etc. And does any of this have to occur immediately, or can there be a "stay" while the appeal process goes forward?

Most importantly, does Bernie's "magic wand" have any input in the matter, or is he, like the rest of us, merely an interested bystander awaiting the outcome?

Bernie E is a business man first and therefore i a sure there is a Plan B in place .Either way he will hold them to there contract ..............and what interests a business man more than a Hitler suit ? Money !

(all said with respect)

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

If you take away the emotion, the business transactions that put the brand "team lotus" in the hands of Fernandes are pretty simple to follow.

The issue of whether Group Lotus can go into F1 will be much harder to prove, as all the way through the Chapman / Warr / Collins eras, and at the contracts of sale to Hunt, there would never be any thought of Group Lotus starting up a rival operation, so it would have taken a very diligent lawyer to think that one up at the time

Air Asia supporting Team Lotus is better branding for Fernades than just Air Asia racing; and stategically, I think Renault Grand Prix / Genii / Group Lotus want closer ties; so both sides want to win. It would not seem reasonable for Torro Rosso to be completely unrelated to Red Bull, but that is the branding situation at present. Perhaps changing "Lotus" to "Group Lotus" or "Lotus Cars" would clarify / dodge the issue.

I still cannot see how the current LRGP car is not attempting to pass itself off as a relation to the Type 94 / Type 95 era Team Lotus car.

Unless one side is seen to be 100% in the wrong and flagrantly in breach of written agreements, I would expect any ruling to have more to do with the identity of the 2012 teams, although both need the ability to trade legitimately this year.

I think someone will have to lose

Edited by simonb

Anybody knows if MalaysiaF1 is allowed to use the Lotus logo. I know they are using it, but without permission from Lotus.

I thought that was not part of the licence they bought of Mr. Hunt.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Anybody knows if MalaysiaF1 is allowed to use the Lotus logo. I know they are using it, but without permission from Lotus.

I thought that was not part of the licence they bought of Mr. Hunt.

They aren't using the Lotus Logo, they are using the Team Lotus logo, although designed by the people who designed the Lotus logo, it has a separate trademark and ownership of this logo went to Team Lotus not Group Lotus/Lotus cars, so with TF buying Team Lotus Ventures Ltd, not just licencing it like you said, he now owns the logo and has every right to use it.

The ownership is really not a problem in all of this as David Hunt has successfully proven that he (Team Lotus Ventures Ltd.) owned all the rights to "Team Lotus", if he didn't the courts wouldn't have sided with him in the court cases brought against him by GL over the years. GL only aim in this is not to get ownership of Team Lotus but to stop anyone else using "Lotus", effectively stealing "Team Lotus" from its owners as the they would be the only one able to use it name.

Jealousy is a monster and we are seeing it at its worst in the form of GL in all of this!

What is the difference between an overtake and a crash? An overtake is a crash that never happened!

They aren't using the Lotus Logo, they are using the Team Lotus logo, although designed by the people who designed the Lotus logo, it has a separate trademark and ownership of this logo went to Team Lotus not Group Lotus/Lotus cars, so with TF buying Team Lotus Ventures Ltd, not just licencing it like you said, he now owns the logo and has every right to use it.

The ownership is really not a problem in all of this as David Hunt has successfully proven that he (Team Lotus Ventures Ltd.) owned all the rights to "Team Lotus", if he didn't the courts wouldn't have sided with him in the court cases brought against him by GL over the years. GL only aim in this is not to get ownership of Team Lotus but to stop anyone else using "Lotus", effectively stealing "Team Lotus" from its owners as the they would be the only one able to use it name.

Jealousy is a monster and we are seeing it at its worst in the form of GL in all of this!

+1!

Calypso Rose Rules the World!