free hit
counters
Lotus vs Lotus legal actions starts Mon. 24.Jan - Page 4 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus vs Lotus legal actions starts Mon. 24.Jan

Kimbers, I know that the work was intertwined between the two companies, but legally they were separate entities, just like you said above.

I am glad that I am not one of the lawyers trying to sort this out. This will not an easy battle for either side, standard copyright and trademark rules are slightly different because of the nature of the sport, with it being so expensive to enter into F1. At least they have until November to build their cases over this silly name dispute.

Todays court case is about the fact that Group Lotus ended the licence agreement with 1 Malaysia to use the Lotus Racing name, and not about the 'Team Lotus' naming row

What is the difference between an overtake and a crash? An overtake is a crash that never happened!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ,I think that Mike hit the nail on the head

1.Team Lotus was the car that has been developed in true Lotus style by Gascoine and co.

2.Group Lotus are sponsoring a "Lotus " of effectively sponsoring a Renault and adding the name to it.

Choose your sides gentlemen.......................................I stick with the harder working and more genuine of the two!

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Tomorrow 25th at 10.30am before MR JUSTICE PETER SMITH in Court 61 according to the HMCS court list although at the top of the page it does say this can be changed.

HMCS Clicky

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

1.Team Lotus was the car that has been developed in true Lotus style by Gascoine and co.

Please define true Lotus style. (Preferrably in a definition that sets them aside from Sauber, Force india, McLaren etc)

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Please define true Lotus style. (Preferrably in a definition that sets them aside from Sauber, Force india, McLaren etc)

Thinks he means building a team up from nothing, just like Chapman did, and not just putting a name on a car that someone else created

What is the difference between an overtake and a crash? An overtake is a crash that never happened!

Do you think this is Mike's first job in F1?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I know it isn't, that isn't what I meant.

They aren't just using a car that was belonged to another team

Edited by Antony Peacock

Thinks he means building a team up from nothing, just like Chapman did, and not just putting a name on a car that someone else created

Ok, thus building a team, and naming it after a brand that someone else created.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Well the hearing has currently disappeared off the provisional court list for tomorrow, but as I said earlier the list is subject to variation up to 4.30pm GMT.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

"Lotus finished last season 10th in the constructors' championship, with Renault fifth, and the Renault cars were 2.2 seconds faster per lap at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The two cars will both be launched in time to take part in the first pre-season test at Valencia's Circuit Ricardo Tormo from 1-3 February."

Let the games begin!:animier:dry.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Thing is TF and TL have nothing to lose - can you imagine what will happen if the renault engine coupled with the Red Bull back end (which as far as I understand it Lotus-Renault do not have) and a working hydraulics system actually start to move them up?

Thing is TF and TL have nothing to lose - can you imagine what will happen if the renault engine coupled with the Red Bull back end (which as far as I understand it Lotus-Renault do not have) and a working hydraulics system actually start to move them up?

I suspect it will result in some sort of fan/fertiliser/impact combo.....

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Prediction: Won't be resolved in British courts but back in Malaysia. Once TF and the powers there sort out their differences and come to some sort of accommodation. The resolution will involve TF buying part or all of Lotus. :whistle:

DanR

The resolution will involve TF buying part or all of Lotus. :whistle:

I would agree except that won't happen if Dany boy is still there. Too much bad blood already.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Its good to see that both camps are "delighted"...

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Lol, same outcome but both parties won.....gotta love those PR machines.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

How long does one wait before continuation of developement on the F1 car.

We are all aware of the dynamic in F1 and therefore if you are one week behind the competitors ,you lose.

Whilst the other teams are throwing 110% at the cars and developement ,Lotus and /or Lotus branded F1 actually suffers a defeat before the season starts .After all the question in everybody's mind is "who will win the case?"

Wait and see = Lotus loser .

Lets be positive though ,two teams ,different ways of structuring ,old school culture versus new kid MBA ways.

PLACE YOUR BETS NOW ON WHICH OF THE TWO TEAMS WILL BE THE MOST REWARDED ,ON THE TRACK THIS YEAR ..............

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Prediction: Won't be resolved in British courts but back in Malaysia. Once TF and the powers there sort out their differences and come to some sort of accommodation. The resolution will involve TF buying part or all of Lotus. :whistle:

Works for me. Once Tony's at the helm, he can magnanimously offer Dany a position on the pit crew changing tyres, thus fulfilling the man's avowed wish to participate in F1.:innocent:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

How long does one wait before continuation of developement on the F1 car.

We are all aware of the dynamic in F1 and therefore if you are one week behind the competitors ,you lose.

I doubt either team is holding off work on the cars while waiting for the outcome of the court case. I suppose Lotus Renault are at a slight advantage, though, as the team need not be involved to fight the case, while it is another distraction for Team Lotus' principal.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Interesting - the Renault car has a Renault Type number (The R31).

Even when Lotus Racing were under license they ran a Type 127 which I believe is an official lotus type number.

As for the press releases - well I have to say it did work out majority in favour of Group Lotus.

I don't think anybody was surprised that the summary judgement was denied as the case is too complex however I think TF was aiming for a november date for the name so after a full season of F1 where any enforced name change would be easier to handle.

Having everything decided in March leads to the dangerous possibility of should TF lose then he'll be forced to change the name and most likely be stuffed by Lotus again.

The press releases are always swung in the favour of the party writing them.

And all that really happened is that the judge decided to sort all of the ridiculous battle in one court case.