free hit
counters
Lotus vs Lotus legal actions starts Mon. 24.Jan - Page 7 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus vs Lotus legal actions starts Mon. 24.Jan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ford sounds soooo much better.... but I'm not sure that the majority of middle-America would know what a Ferrari was. Conversely most of Ferrari's market would not have a Ford F-150 uppermost in their mind. Yup, It's a sweeping generalisation.... apart from the Ford sounding better! (retires to hardened bunker to avoid the inevitable brickbats...)

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

To be fair to ford, ferrari have swiped the logo down to the font. The only difference is a dash (F150 vs F-150) and a slight rounding of the top right of the 'F'.

Given the rivalry and that theres no love lost between Ford and Ferrari I can see why Ford did it.

Oh gee wiz, I spent half a mil and I can't even get my tools in it. I've been mislead. :rant:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I think that the boys on Ferrari board were not thinking ! America's most successful truck ever and you choose to use the same "name " .............either very stupid or very shrude ,,you make up your mind !

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Joe Saward seems to be more and more vitriolic towards Group Lotus. Spelling out the accusation that "In 1982 Lotus Cars was involved in the DeLorean Scandal, with the British Government paying $17.65 million for design consulting. This never reached the firm and after 20 years of investigation and litigation, it was found that Chapman, John DeLorean and Fred Bushell had divided up between themselves." does not really add to the debate (other than goading others to join in the mud slinging)

One "not so independent" Journo (shame because I enjoy the blog)

Joe Saward seems to be more and more vitriolic towards Group Lotus. Spelling out the accusation that "In 1982 Lotus Cars was involved in the DeLorean Scandal, with the British Government paying $17.65 million for design consulting. This never reached the firm and after 20 years of investigation and litigation, it was found that Chapman, John DeLorean and Fred Bushell had divided up between themselves." does not really add to the debate (other than goading others to join in the mud slinging)

One "not so independent" Journo (shame because I enjoy the blog)

But it is accurate and the point he makes about Group Lotus sponsoring KV Racing is a valid one. It does show a different standard for their IndyCar Series sponsorship vs. not wanting to sponsor 1Malaysia Racing in F1 because they would not get good results.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Not sure about Collins, not really seen any public mention of him im many years, but also never seen anything that would suggest he has passed away.

Just found out that Peter Collins is managing Tonio Liuzzi in an article in the subscribtion section of Autosport:

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/3314/the-art-of-playing-fair-in-formula-1/

Interesting article with a story about Collins working for Chapman and getting caught in the paddock area crawling under the spare Williams FW07 with a tape measure, notepad and pen only about a minute before the start of the 1979 Austrian GP.

Read it and it suddenly occured to me that it would be very interesting if Liuzzi got the Kubica seat instead of Heidfelt.

Surely wouldn't be a bad idea for Group Lotus to have Collins invloved with LRGP when the court case comes up?

Found this image in the article as well

1297781868.jpg

Collins with Tonio Liuzzi

Surely wouldn't be a bad idea for Group Lotus to have Collins invloved with LRGP when the court case comes up?

I would like to see him not involved so he could give his unbiased account. (I tend to believe since he sold to Hunt his account would likely be different than you seem to be hoping) I just want to see the law upheld with no funny business -whatever that truth is.

Edited by comem47

Would be nice to see "justice done," but one man's justice is another man's chagrin. I think "the law" in this case is a moving target, subject to substantial legal interpretation, as the codes involved seem to be quite esoteric, verging on the arcane and almost nebulous in nature. A great deal of "subjectivity" (and personal opinion) is going to be floated about in the courtroom, and quantisizing ethereal cooporate "spin" on product rights will prove difficult to resolve fairly.

(John, you're such a bullshitter. Have you considered running for office?) :ice:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Cannot really see the "names" having any effect, it will be one for the contract lawyers. "yes we trousered the payment, but we never thought they would use what we sold them" is not the best basis for prosecution IMH(non legal)O

Here's a confusing article from Motorsport.com. Headline says one thing and text says something else. It should have said that Tony Fernandes wants up to $60 million to end the dispute. Anyway, looks like they are not going to pay him that much but they are willing to pay for the name which, to me, is an admission that they don't own it, is it not?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Anyone recall what Fernandes paid for the name rights, or is that figure not yet in the public domain? He has a point though, his "losses" would be greater than a simple "reimbursement" for the name's purchase only.

"The statement said 1Malaysia not only wants the fee to include the sale of the Team Lotus name, but other factors including the development of a new brand, and loss of income from merchandise and sponsorship.

Proton confirmed that it is willing to pay only for the name."

Were Proton to acquiesce to a mutually agreed upon amount, such a settlement would still create an intensely time compressed window for this season's "re-morph." Is this another instance where all the other teams would have to agree?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Yup Tony paid to get the name in due form from rightful owner!

Now I guess Tony could have a thorough look at Group Lotus communication of late and start taking action!

I want to see this thing settled in court not behind closed doors now! It's a bit too important cause it could lead to a lot more actions of the kind in the next few years!

"The statement said 1Malaysia not only wants the fee to include the sale of the Team Lotus name, but other factors including the development of a new brand, and loss of income from merchandise and sponsorship.

That's because Taeam Air Aisa won't lose out on their F1 purse as long as the rest of the grid agree to the name change, the majority of whom won't care either way.

Struggling to think of any teams who would care enough to block the name change. Lotus Renault would obviously already agree to the change as part of the settlement. Ferrari can be awkward sods at times, but I doubt if this end of the grid even registers on their radar.

The statement said 1Malaysia not only wants the fee to include the sale of the Team Lotus name, but other factors including the development of a new brand, and loss of income from merchandise and sponsorship.

How can you count development of a new brand as you sell a old brand.

also loss of income from Merchandise won't count as they are not allowed to sell Lotus merchandise,

So that's only the name and some sponsorship, (Which sponsors for 1Malaysia are non TF related?)

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Will be interesting to find out how this would play out in Malaysia. If Proton give tens of millions of dollars to Fernandes, so that they can carry on investing in a BRITISH flag carrying loss making part of their business, whilst Fernandes spends that money on a MALAYSIAN flag carrying outfit.

Lotus Racing 2010 punched so far above their weight in the media, as both teams seem to be doing at the moment. Cannot see the British Media being interested in Team Air Asia until they are on the podium (or Malay media being as interested in the "bad boy" when he is just doing his own thing); so perhaps the name is worth more than it's own weight

I suspect that Ferrari would block it, as would those teams who were 11th!! Its in Ferraris interest to throw a spanner in the works especially with the history between the current management of Lotus and them. Not to mention the number of people who have left Marenello and joined Lotus. the 11th and 12th place teams would also be interested in the prize money!

And whilst I agree that they prob don't care that Team lotus change their name to something else they WILL care where the name is going. Unless of course you mean that they won't care because Renault are lower down the grid.

Either way Ferrari will hate the Lotus name being back at the top of the board....

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

If/when the Team Lotus name comes off the Air Asia cars it was my understanding that it wasn't intended to go anywhere else for the forseeable future, so Ferrari shouldn't be too concerned about that. But they are Italian so who knows?

And there I was thinking this was possibly a sport with sportsmanship and the like............. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.