free hit
counters
Behind the Scenes @ LRGP - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Behind the Scenes @ LRGP

Bibs

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="display:block;margin:0" width="416" height="402" data="http://www.kyte.tv/f/"><param name="movie" value="http://www.kyte.tv/f/"><param name="flashVars" value="p=1765&c=403535&s=1150067&tbid=1280"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></object>

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good so far...... Not long now until 1st February when we see how they are all stacking up against each other (sandbagging notwithstanding).

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

• 2 weeks later...

Try as I might, keeping up with the complexities of the case before the High Court eludes me at times. It is not at all clear to me who "owns" the "rights" (if that's the correct operative term here) to the black and gold livery. Obviously John Player has a dog in the fight, historically speaking. Did the "days of yore" Chapman team pay for the right to use these colours, or was it simply a gentleman's agreement between Team Lotus and the cigarette company? I bring this up because I believe I read in one of the many articles available through various thread links that TF is thinking of contesting Lotus Renault's use of the livery--the scheme he had planned on using (initially) for the upcoming season. The unveiling of the Team Lotus car at the end of this month is assumed (I think?) to be the more traditional green and yellow, but we shall see.

Assuming that the parties involved don't come to their senses soon, and reach some form of "out of court settlement/agreement," I have to wonder what happens if (in addition to the "naming" issue) Team Lotus were to prevail on the colour issue. Is it even possible to change (or decree "forfeit") a livery scheme midseason and still comply with FIA rules? A far fetched scenario, maybe, but a potential complication nonetheless?

The black and gold has always been my favourite, but my loyalties are being tested to the limits by all the legal shenanigans.:(

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Chapman didn't pay to use the colours. John Player paid him. When they stopped paying the colours were replaced with a Martini colour scheme until John Player wanted to restore their sales to the level they were when they were sponsoring Lotus and signed on the line to pay for the privilege again.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

You can't copyright a colour...

Cadburys tried with purple, Tony Fernandes tried with green & yellow. It's just not something you can do.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

But you may be able to copywriter a colour scheme but just to keep the lawyers in work the definition of what constitutes a colour scheme seems open to debate. Fonts, usage, market. possible conflicts, blah, blah, blah.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Fernandez didn't try to copyright the green and yellow as you can't.

It's like intel trying to copyright a number - they couldn't either and so changed the processors from 586 to pentium which could be protected easily.

He applied for a trademark which you can protect although trying for a specific colour without anything else (font, log etc) is very, very unlikely to be granted.

Lotus tried a similar thing with the esprit when they faxed an outline asking people to respond asking what it was in an effort to protect the design.

You can't copyright a number but you can trademark it - Boeing hold the trademarks for 707, 727, 737 etc....; Levi have the trademark on 501, interestingly Bose also have a trademark for 501 - Levi for jeans and Bose for sound equipment so there is no conflict.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350