free hit
counters
17" inner wheel diameters - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

17" inner wheel diameters

Hi all

Am considering a big brake conversion which I know fits within the 17" Mag wheels but I just want to confirm it will fit inside the AWI 17" wheels that I have on my GT V8 at the mo...

Does anybody have an idea of inner wheel diameters for these two..?

Cheers

Gary

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the diameter, but I can show you whar a 328mm Brembo rotor with Brembo racing caliper looks like in a 17" AWI front wheel.

I don't think you'll fit a bigger brake than a 328mm...

from my Brembo brake project here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusBremboRacingBrakes#

P1180304.JPG

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

It depends on the shape of the inside. Some wheels have a gentle slope from the inner edge with the tyre "well" closer to the outer edge of the rim. If the rim in Travis' photo did that a disc maybe even 25mm larger would fit. Something to check out when buying rims.

Edited by DanR

DanR

The wheel that I show is the same AWI wheel that he asked about.

THe caliper clearance is different that the gap around the rotor. The rotor has space for 25mm, however the caliper has only a few mm of clearance.

The offset shown is a 2x4 so ~1.5" from the backside of the wheel, which corresponds to about the distance from the wheel mounting surface back to where the rotors mount behind the hub on an SE like mine.

The V8, which Gary has, has a rotor mounted to a hat on the front side of the hub, so immediately behind the wheel mounting surface. In otherwords, his rotor will be even closer to the plane of the spokes and the thickest part of the wheel rim. He will probably have less than or equal to the same clearance that I show above.

It will not fit larger than a 328mm rotor (330mm AP max).

I will say that the AWI's have the most caliper clearance of all stock Esprit wheels!

btw, these are 328mm Champ Car brakes (8 piston caliper) in a Futura Modular wheel.

9g91g4.jpg

2v2cnlh.jpg

The 3 piece wheels have a forged rim that has a very thin cross section, but the center section spokes are closer to the caliper than the AWI's.

My Brembos and these Champ Car Brembos are designed to fit in a 15" forged rim, and they barely fit in a 17" cast rim.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

The white car with Champ Car brakes is a friend's (that should be 328x35 , with 8 piston MMC calipers front and rear).

My setup is 328x35mm front, 72 vane vented, aluminum hat, floating rotor, 4 piston NASCAR short track monoblock caliper with vented titanium pistons.

P2080309.JPG

PC160257.JPG

One of those calipers was incorrect, I had it swapped for a correct config (if you are looking closely)

The rear is 313mmx25.4mm, vented, aluminum hat, fixed rotor, 4 piston bolted NASCAR short track aluminum caliper with vented titanium pistons.

P4150186.JPG

The pads are a soft compound NASCAR race pad (1" thick each in the front, pad only, not including backing plate)

P7070003.JPG

And I have to use a separate parking caliper like the Sport 300 / X180-R. I have either a Wilwood spot caliper (very light) or I can use the Esprit/Elise rear brembo caliper (heavy).

P7070010.JPG

or

P7070024.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE