free hit
counters
Evora headlamp misting problem? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Beady

Evora headlamp misting problem?

Has anyone had any problems with the main headlamps misting up / getting condensation inside ?

I have a LE car delivered Oct 09 (in case there have been any changes to later headlamps)

Thanks

Beady

Edited by beady

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My car is May 2010 and I have very bad misting/condensation in one headlight unit only.

I believe it is a common problem and should be replaced under warranty at my next service.

My car is early LE car also and had misting problems from very early on to varying degrees in both although offside worse depending on weather and use although I never did suss out the variables. Resolved by replacement at end of 1st year at service time. As Brian says is a common problem I believe from others PM`s or posts.

You have been very quiet recently, not seen the stormtrooper posting much!

Al.

Mine is from November 09; no problems with headlight misting at all. But they are not very well fixed in. Might be that the mist is "shaken down" while driving. A.

Al,

been a bit busy the last 6 months, sold house, moved into rental, searching every day for new place to buy.

Just had baby 2 weeks ago (well the wife anyway)

work has thankfully been really busy also - so not had too much time to play or post much on here.

Trying to find time....

hope you are keeping well and car is behaving!

Mine mist up now and again, and it looks awful. Are these replaced under warranty? Or are they resealed. I paid to have my TVR ones resealed a few times but with little joy.

Not really, you 2 bit cowboy. :2guns: (They would look really nice sliding around in the assembly.) Root cause analysis and repair solution would be better. :yes:

Hi Beady,

Life sounds full at the moment. Congratulations on the cute little monster that will change your life from now on. Good luck on the house hunt.

Hardly driven the toy with all the weather we have had and my rota. It won`t have left the garage for 13 weeks when I get home in 3 weeks time. It is all tucked up in its pajamas in a heated garage with the trickle charger on it. All I did was sit in it and run her a few times last leave as roads impassable with hard ice and snow feet deep in places. I`m not scared of taking her out and even have new shiny black wheels to fit with winter tyres which I am desperate to try!

Al.

Don't know if the answer is the same but I had the same with my Elise and the garage fixed (and gave instructions).

The issue is that the Lotus headlamp units are sealed. On the elise there is a rubber 'breathing cap' that you open, leave for about 30 mins and close. Of course condensation happens due to the humidity in the air inside the lamp cooling. Relative humidity depends on air temperature so air that has 40% humidity on a warm day might have 90% humidity on a cold day. It seems the lotus lamps that are most affected are those made in the summer which makes sense.

Hence if you open the breathing cap on a frosty morning when there is close to 0% humidity, let the new air replace the high-humidity air and close again you should have solved the problem.

Worked a treat for mine and hasn't caused an issue since.

Jut to add here, mine misted up yesterday (lights had been on, mild day, lots of rain previous 2 weeks). Seems all ok again now but here's what it looked like. My car is a later 2011 build.

">http://20131102_153157_zps76931407.jpg

Edited by Frimley111R

mine still does it.

I asked for them to be reviewed by the dealer at the end of the 3 yr warranty period and was told they all do that...if they were particularly bad then then may get replaced but mine were 'the norm'

pretty poor answer I thought as I don't see it happening on other cars.

My Elise used to collect water in the base of the indicators so it is an improvement on that.

I had new units fitted under warranty - they steam up more than the originals did.

It's little things like this that really spoil my experience with Lotus products.

Do the Evora units have any sort of vent grommit?

Part number 6 perhaps?

17_13medium.gif

^^^ maybe worth taking that off then heating the unit up with an hair dryer before replacing?

I assume there is access under the arch.

Edited by softlips

Or toss a couple of packs of silica gel in there for an hour or two :D

This was the solution Lotus advised JCT.

Flipping annoying. My old Fiat Coupe didn't do this! One of my old Ford's did...

I did however see a 63 plate F12 in Mayfair last week with exactly the same problem.

I called my dealer (Bell & Colvill) last week and they said a lot of modern cars have vented front lights so its normal. They did clear up so I guess that's just the way it is...

Mine does that, I never really registered it until I read this thread though!

Seems a daft thing not to be able to sort in this day and age, but I doubt Lotus would be keen to change headlight unless they really needed to as the cost for each side is apparently about £800+ VAT... plus labour. It's something I can live with though provided all that moisture in the unit isn't storing up trouble for the future in electrical terms.  

Well Now on my 4th Evora and all have done it since the original LE car.  Never been a cure to best of my knowledge.  Seems to come & go.  I was hoping my latest one would be an improvement as it is an early 11 car but it is doing it as well last week.  It was after lots of wet runing and then we had the 2 or 3 nights of -3C temps and everything freezing up.  The light scatter was so bad through the frosted condensation that I was being flashed as I certainly didn't have nice clean edges to light beams.  Yes it melted reasonably quickly although still steamed up but still bloody annoying and only giving Porker Boy over the road something else to crow about (he has little else to when in direct comparison!)

Car presently with MMC for a few items while I am offshore (Cheapest Long term car park near Edinburgh Airport!!) and this is on the list as nearing end of warranty but I'm expecting the usual TADTS.

I had new units fitted under warranty - they steam up more than the originals did.

It's little things like this that really spoil my experience with Lotus products.

TADTS is what my dealer told me, so won't change them.

Porker Boy over the road something else to crow about (he has little else to when in direct comparison!)

Porsche had an issue with it too - but they have solved it.

I have it on my 2013 Sports racer, and worse still, I have significant condensation in the car every time I get into it in cold weather.  I have tried a big bag of silica gel and it is not doing the job.  Is this something I just need to put up with, or is it something wrong with my particular car?