free hit
counters
S1 orange carpet - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Any green and tartan S1 owners out there care to comment on how close this orange carpet is to the original...

Orange carpet

Obviously it's the one in the bottom left corner.

Or this one...

Orange carpet

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My monitor tells me the second one is closer. The top one looks too 'pumpkin' on my screen . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Have you spoken with Tony Baldassarre in Bedford? He should be able to find a source of suitable fabric if it exists (old school Coachtrimmer)

He can also tell you whether felt back will work OK in a footwell

Edited by simonb

First looks to light to me... second looks closer

If you are going to go by an internet picture to determine the colour then i would compare it against the pictures on Nicks page.

As some of you have eluded above a monitor is not going to give you an accurate colour represnetation.

We have done many prints which have bitten customers becuase "it looked OK on my screen!" and in reality was completely different.

Better to get a sample if you can.

Not much to go on, but these are shots I took of Jeff's yellow S1 that's on Nick's page and they're pretty well color balanced...

post-6978-0-64691300-1296028098.jpg

post-6978-0-98783700-1296028105.jpg

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I've asked for a sample of the second one to determine how close it is. I still have a few bits of the original left so I'll see...

What are the black foot mats made from - rubber or plastic? How thick are they? Can anybody measure some for thickness/width/length for me please? Are they stitched onto the carpet?

Thanks, Paul.

If you want a gash set of S2.2 carpets, with the mats in, I have just recarpeted mine wth a set from SJ, and have the old carpets / bits of the carpets, does include the rubber mats

Hi Simon

Please don't throw them away. I'd like to borrow them if I may please to take some patterns off. I'll return them when I'm done.

Cheers, Paul.

You are welcome to them

I think the only thing you need to blag is a set of paper templates, some of these olld carpets might be a bit ripped, so you might not get a full template off them

Paul,

I'm with Tony K. The second sample is much closer to the color of my carpets. High Definition Monitor and all. Good luck with your search.

Lyn

Yes, I'm not going to bother requesting a sample of the first. I do still have what's left of the original carpets so I'll try and find a piece that's never been exposed to light and use that as my colour match when I get my sample of the second one.

Cheers, Paul.

If you really want too you can mail me a piece of the sample and I will photograph it laying on top of my original orange underneath/behind the seat that has never seen sunlight. - M

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to check out which bits of the original carpet I still have first. I pulled them all off 4 years ago and haven't touched them since!! I think I still have a few bits from behind the seat and under the dash so I should be okay. Given that yours is original do you know if the orange carpets have orange piping around them? I've got a set of carpets from a 2.2 which Simon Bates has kindly donated and I'm going to use them as templates when I make mine. His all have piping (made from vinyl by the looks of it) around the edges but I just need to check if the early S1s were as refined as this!!

Thanks, Paul.

I will check tonight for you. The handbrake surround etc etc is definately orange, but i dont remember any binding or edging at all. Will take a shufty and post a pic for you.

Yep, thats right Paul.

There is piping round the carpets and the same material round the handbrake leaver.

There are also two small inspection caps .... i think for the door hinges as i recall.

They are covered in orange plastic stuff as per the hand brake and piping.

Driver should also have foot pad under pedals.

My S2.2 had a round cover over each bottom door hinge bolt, and a semi circle ended rectangular cover over each of the bottom seat belt mounts.

2 screws on the seatbelt ones, clip built into the round ones.

Thought I'd take the plunge on this one, in the interests of UK S1's. :D

This is the Ebay carpet. Overlaid on the right is the remnants of what was left in my car, there is a 'clean' bit of orange in the middle where the wiper motor was mounted:

Orangecarpet.jpg

It's not exactly the same colour, but it's not far out and in isolation I doubt if the difference would be spotted.

It's not exactly the same colour, but it's not far out and in isolation I doubt if the difference would be spotted.

Yep looks pretty close to me and i dare say in comparisonm to the state of most S1 carpets it would be a big step forward.

Only issue would be getting them bound up at the edges etc.

I doubt if anyone would be able to look at a car in isolation and say that the wrong colour of orange if they were finished off properly.

As for how long they would last?.... i guess you could always get a couple of drivers footwell carpets and sill carpets made up so you could change them out in the future.

SJ Sportscars do a very good replacement carpet set for the S2 (mine were a rather boring red) I would start by talking to Steve, and put him on to the carpet source. I think my set were abour £350 with all edgings, rubber mats stitched in and the handbrake surround. Not a lot of money compared to the option of making templates, stitching on the edging and saving (at most) £200 if you DIY

Thanks all for the info. Yeah I agree - gotta do it myself :)

Has anybody found a source of matching vinyl for the edging? I have a few samples but the colour isn't dark enough.

Cheers, Paul.

Thought I'd take the plunge on this one, in the interests of UK S1's. :D

This is the Ebay carpet. Overlaid on the right is the remnants of what was left in my car, there is a 'clean' bit of orange in the middle where the wiper motor was mounted:

Orangecarpet.jpg

I'm not sure which carpet you have there is it the one in my previous post? If the photo is anything to go by I reckon this one could be closer... Orange carpet

I've asked for a sample to compare against my original.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

While replacing your carpets, perhaps you have uncovered a source for some small finishing bits. One of the round clips covering a door hinge nut broke this year. I've asked around and no seems to know where Lotus purchased them from. Must admit I didn't try too hard. Had more important things to do. Kept the round orange plastic cover. If you locate some, I'd be glad to buy a few. I'm sure one will break again. Sooner or later. Can post a photo if necessary. Doesn't show up on the S1 parts list. At least I can't find it! Thanks.

Lyn

The orange carpet in this last post is much closer to original. Give it a try.

Edited by 77 esprit

Paul,

This is obviously faded to hell, but I'll have it pulled out and shipped to you in you want it.

- Matt

post-6978-0-51767600-1297987054_thumb.jp

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S