free hit
counters
getting an ignition key cut - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

getting an ignition key cut

Although I have had my GT3 for nearly 7 years now I have only ever had one key for it. Not wishing to tempt fat any further I decided to get a spare cut, but the guy at the key cutting kiosk took one look at it and said "£70 mate cuz it's got a chip in it and your car wont start without it" Obviously the key and barrel are GM items designed for Cavaliers and the like, so the question is does the chip in the key actually do anything on an Esprit? If it does where do I get a spare key cut?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too thought this odd and even had a small agrument about it but he was adamant and pointed to a small bulge under the plastic saying that is where the chip is buried. Short of having it x rayd cant truly tell. Think I will try elsewhere and see what heppens

That makes me wonder...

When I took delivery of my S4s, P.Clugston said he would get me a 2nd key from Lotus, which of course he simply failed to do despite being chased a few times. I have a key just like the one pictured above and it comes with a separate chip-adapter (in the shape of a little rectangular USB key) to disable the engine immobiliser. I have to fit this adapter in a little slot just on top of the steering wheel hub. It's a nuisance to me because simply not practical to start the car.

Was this a standard setup?

I also wonder about the remote control. It has 3 buttons but only one seems to be usable to lock/unlock the doors (although the unlocking no longer works, despite a battery change and I have to press the button several times to lock the doors). One of the other button will simply lit the indicaters/flashers but do nothing else, 3rd button appears useless. Owner's manual does not say much about the remote. Facftory-fitted alarm does not appear to be controlled by the remote, I have to use the key on the door lock to activate it.

Anyone knows of the problem with locking/unlocking the doors and a likely purpose for the other 2 buttons of the remote control?

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

All I have is an ignition key just like Pauls but no remote, should I have? I did a bit of digging on the interweb and some 90's Vauxhalls Astra's & Cavaliers had transponder keys with a chip buried in the plastic which when you turn on the ignition talks to the ECU. If the ECU does not recognise the code in the transponder no start. So if you have a key cut you also need the transponder coding. Still not sure though if this applies to the Esprit. Think the best thing to do is ask Lotus or a dealer.

Another idea on this which by local Garage owner suggested ... you have two new keys cut without the correct transponder and then tape your existing key somewhere under the dash.

Then you will have two keys that work! (although of course you would lose the security of the transponder, but if you don't think that you have one anyway then nothing lost).

Paul.

That is a GOOD idea Paul.

I will keep that in the back of my mind for any of my other cars.

As to the Esprit i had a second key cut for my 99 V8 when i bought it at the local key cutter on a vauxhall blank and i have had no problems. (I swap keys and alarm fobs occasionally when i think of it to keep them both used).

Mark

Honestly, as has been mentioned, it's just a torch and a sheet one at that!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

For it to be a torch surely there would have a lens & bulb? If it is a torch it really is a crap one cuz it aint got either. Just to clear this up there is nothing visible on the key, they guy at the key cutting place pointed to a small bulge in the plastic claiming thats where the transponder was. as per the picture below

SNV32409.jpg

Seriously Adrian, there's no transponder. The key you've pictured there isn't the original factory one anyway. There are a number of different style keys available, each one offers their own ergonomic features and a couple of examples have torches in. Some are aftermarket, some are GM/Vauxhall replacements etc.

This is my everyday key (note the hole where the transponder torch has fallen out):

IMG_0159.jpg

Here's a couple more, the square one in the barrel is what most people are used to and still houses its torch, the skinny key is a back-up:

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Go back to your bloke, get him to make you a key. If there's sucking in of teeth, tell him you just want it to mechanically lock/unlock the doors and have no intention using it to start the engine.