free hit
counters
Paul McCartney died in 1966? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Paul McCartney died in 1966?

esprithk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Band on the run'

'Silly love songs'

'The frog chorus'

'What the man said'

'Wonderful christmas time'

Just five of a solo career worth of reasons i wish that rumour was true, but he's alive alright. No imposter hoping to last five minutes would risk releasing this tedious head swaying tat and look credible.

I'd pay not to see this guy live. Have seen his live shows on TV, He's spent the last twenty years making his encore of hey jude last as long as possible to the point of nausia:

"Na, na, na, na-na-na, na, na-na-na, hey jude

Na, na, na, na-na-na, na, na-na-na, hey jude

Everybody!

Those on the left!

Those on the right!

Those in the middle!

At the back!

At the front!

All the girls!

All the guys now!

Everybody!

One more time now!

Bada, ba, ba badda ba!

Oh yeah!

Na, na, na, na-na-na, na, na-na-na, hey jude"

And thats a shortened version.

No imposter would risk that, he's gotta be the real deal. The thing i don't get is, when Pauls around...

why shoot John???

:(

'Band on the run'

'Silly love songs'

'The frog chorus'

'What the man said'

'Wonderful christmas time'

Just five of a solo career worth of reasons i wish that rumour was true, but he's alive alright. No imposter hoping to last five minutes would risk releasing this tedious head swaying tat and look credible.

Oh what fun - I laughed until I stopped!

Paul - you left out the really trite stuff. Can I add Mull of Kintyre. Cook of the house, and Oh-bla-di, Oh-bla-dah. I think I may have been force-fed that last one as a child, and I've had an abiding dislike of him and his triteness ever since, and then when I heard of his antics at Live 8 (bigger than Pink Floyd are you, Macca?), I think my utter dislike of him was cemented. As John Lennon said - "All you done was yesterday".

Whooops - I think that may struck a chord with me.

Sorry for the rant, and it is just my opinion after all, your mileage may vary :)

//R

I heard 'Let 'Em In' this week on the radio, had forgot about that one, it's enough to make you pick up a cricket bat and go hunting some Macca.

This stuff will be played forever, not due to it's own merits, but because of who he is and what he did before. I can't think of any way of stopping it getting airplay.

Unless...

Someone could just stick loads of dodgy photo's on his hard drive of something, so it gets found when his laptop goes in for repair?

You just don't hear Gary Glitter on the radio anymore.

:mellow:

<rubs hands together and warms to the theme>

So, perhaps a few pics of him with a one-legged blonde young enough to be his daughter? :)

Let 'em in is the pits and contains an example of that technique he uses that makes my skin crawl - the 1930's microphone. Listen to what the man said is another slice of pap, and as for that duet with Michael Jackson...I'm sorry, I'm going to have to hurl, it is too early to have to contemplate this stuff.

Anyway, what is a committed vegetarian doing with a sheep farm in Kent? Perhaps that is how he tests the marketability of his output - he plays it to the sheep. Then the rest of the (human) sheep buy it multiple times, once on a 45, once on the LP, again 10 years later when it comes out on CD and finally, again when it is available for download.

Baaaaa...

But in defence of the man.... He re-wrote the book on rock and roll bass playing. Ask any bass player

So... :)

If...

...In the unlikely event i'm chatting to a bass player and i happen for some odd reason to say "hey, Who re-wrote the book on rock and roll bass playing?"

(like i would, i mean it's my catchphrase these days )

And he says "Oh, that would be Paul McCartney..."

What then?

:D

From an earlier news release......

"Paul McCartney and Heather Mills are splitting up. Sources say McCartney will walk away with most of his fortune, while Mills will hop away with an autographed copy of Wings' greatest hits and a Yoko Ono dartboard" <_<

And from an even earlier interview....

..Paul McCartney Interview for `Life' magazine (1969, November 7)

November 7th 1969 Life Magazine published an article on the recent "Paul Is Dead" fiasco. The article contained the now famous clues, select album cover photos, and Paul's own brief comments on the death rumors. Life magazine's London correspondent waded through a Scotland bog to find Paul and Linda at their secluded farm, hoping to be granted a photo or a brief interview. By this time The Beatles had privately broken up. While the breakup was still a secret and would not be announced for months, Paul states "The Beatle thing is over." The public and press missed the importance of this passing comment.

Life Magazine spoke briefly with Paul about the various "death clues" including the OPD badge on his Pepper suit (which fans took to mean "Officially Pronounced Dead"), his black flower in Magical Mystery Tour, and his barefooted appearance on the Abbey Road album cover.

Paul: "It is all bloody stupid. I picked up that OPD badge in Canada. It was a police badge. Perhaps it means Ontario Police Department or something. I was wearing a black flower because they ran out of red ones. It is John, not me, dressed in black on the cover and inside of Magical Mystery Tour. On Abbey Road we were wearing our ordinary clothes. I was walking barefoot because it was a hot day. The Volkswagon just happened to be parked there."

"Perhaps the rumor started because I haven't been much in the press lately. I have done enough press for a lifetime, and I don't have anything to say these days. I am happy to be with my family and I will work when I work. I was switched on for ten years and I never switched off. Now I am switching off whenever I can. I would rather be a little less famous these days."

"I would rather do what I began by doing, which is making music. We make good music and we want to go on making good music. But the Beatle thing is over. It has been exploded, partly by what we have done, and partly by other people. We are individuals - all different. John married Yoko, I married Linda. We didn't marry the same girl."

"The people who are making up these rumors should look to themselves a little more. There is not enough time in life. They should worry about themselves instead of worrying whether I am dead or not."

"What I have to say is all in the music. If I want to say anything I write a song. Can you spread it around that I am just an ordinary person and want to live in peace? We have to go now. We have two children at home."

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Let's see. A pop hero dies. An elaborate plan involving a double is set up to keep it secret. An equally-elaborate plan is put in place to provide clues to the "truth" to those who can work it out. Why? If you are going to cover it up, wouldn't you do your best to make sure there was nothing odd to give the game away?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

This is exactly what I've been trying to tell people all along about the supposed moon landing. Any fool can sift throught the clues left by NASA and see through the charade.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Macca is alive and well, he is one of the greatest modern Musicians to have lived, he was a member of what is universaly rated as the greatest band ever.

He is very highly rated as a bass player.

And yes NASA went to the Moon, they didn't spends billions of dollars not to.

And by the way I'm not even a fan of Maccas' solo work, but credit where it is due. although whats going on with the hair dye?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

So... :)

If...

...In the unlikely event i'm chatting to a bass player and i happen for some odd reason to say "hey, Who re-wrote the book on rock and roll bass playing?"

(like i would, i mean it's my catchphrase these days )

And he says "Oh, that would be Paul McCartney..."

What then?

Not so unlikely....you ARE chatting to a bass player. But others infinitely more mighty than myself in the bass world have concurred.....

I should add that I'm not a particular fan of his silly love songs....But OH the technique!

"What then?"

To quote from Lost In Austen....."You would be none the wiser, but you WOULD be better informed!" :guitar:

Edited by robertverhey

I'm a bass player, and I don't think that he wrote the book of rock bass...but I think that he contributed mightily, if in an under-recognised way. Several of his contemporaries are way up there too, such as John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Jack Casaday, etc. The world of rock bass was VERY young in the 1960s, so things moved forward in all directions- and Paul's direction was pretty good. His bass lines are sometimes deceptively complex, and you can't beat his punchy little 'boo-doo-doot' triplets.

The great thing is that the evolutions in bass playing that happened in the '60s were just the beginning. Rock/pop bass has continued to evolve and catch on as a cool instrument; that's why I was drawn to it.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

If you're talking bass players then Herbie Flowers is worth a listen to. He plays bass on the "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed.

Saw him play live back in the late 70's/early 80's with Sky. He now teaches bass guitar.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

If you're talking bass players then Herbie Flowers is worth a listen to. He plays bass on the "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed.

Ah yes, a VERY good bass-line!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Who played bass on Knight rider? He'd blow them all off the stage IMO.

The two words 'abbey road' means bugger all to me, and its not for lack of hearing.

From radio play to peoples houses to pub jukeboxes over my lifetime the music of the beatles is impossible to escape, the is nothing you can introduce me to and nothing to inform me, i have sat in rooms an heard Abbey Road, the white album (which contains the guitar weeps one i loathe), Revolver, Sgt Peppers etc, I fear anyone pulling out the Red album as i know i've got the truely awful Paperback writer, Michelle, Help!, and yellow submarine to endure. is 'drive my car' on that? That really sucks too. i have heard them often enough to appreciate them and yet despite a photo album full of hundreds of gig tickets and a love of music - i will never own a beatles album. Simply because i will never be in a situation where i think 'I'd really like to put that beatles album on'.

All down to peoples tastes of course, i just find them lyrically infantile and very 'jingly'.

:)

I am no a Beatles fan at all - so like Paul C will never own an album of theirs. I ended up at pub 3 weekends ago with a mate and ended up watching a Beatles cover band. Very good for what they did, but does nothing for me. Must have looked like the only person not enjoying themselves!

Paul you are also right about "while my guitar gently weeps", it is an awful song IMO. Had to cover it in a band once as the guitarist was a Jeff Healey fan (they also covered it).

I can only think of one bass line that I would hum, and thats the intro to "Come together", but I have never heard of him mentioned as a pioneer of the bass guitar until this thread!

It's all just evolution, man, music, technology.

I think it was Paul McCartney who said modern music as we know would not exist with Bach.

What's interesting is the longevity of the likes of the Rolling Stones, Santana, Bob Dylan, to mention a few. (oh and the Beatles)

Be grateful there is only 1 McCartney, I hate and loathe Strauss, and there was 6 or 7 of the buggers !

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)