free hit
counters
Kubica Injured Rallying - Page 3 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Kubica Injured Rallying

Killboy

His fingers work! Should be back in six months according to his old boss...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89328

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His fingers work! Should be back in six months according to his old boss...

6 months seems optimistic with the nature of his injuries but let's hope it's true.

He could replace Petrov and help Senna win the title ............... or is that a bit too optimisitc? :thumbsup:

Just found another pic of the accident, and had to pick my jaw of the floor!

That must have been some shunt. Don't even want to imagine what it would have been like if point of impact had been 50cm to either side...

kubica3.png

Very lucky chappie I'd say.

After my earlier comments regards the drop as well you can see it was a fair old drop there. In this day and age of survival cells he might have walked away from a long roll sequence down the hill as we see so often on TV where this was a fairly abrupt stop. Also I have read a few other forums and Autosport which would indicate that they had a medical team on scene fairly quickly and the cutting kit was there within 30minutes. Then it took a further 30 mins to extracate him which is fairly good going although he will have already been medically stabilised at that point.

Just as an aside the wire on the rear tow hook isn't attempting to pull the vehicle off. It will have been attached (along wth green webbing sling at one point I am fairly sure) early on to ensure the car did not move any more when rescue teams were working on the car as they might have decided to cut the armco at some point. The armco will have been also holding car in place fairly securely by the look of it. In the end I doubt they cut it, but got him out sideways by removing the side of the cage and car where driver was as it was his right sde injured. Technically probably not too difficult then, whereas cutting the Armco in those confines round him would have been, which initial photios looked like they might have to do.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Looks like the main problem was a gap in the barrier where he slid along the first bit and crossed the gap to hit the other bit head-on.

I believe a lot of drivers' contracts do stop them competing in dangerous activities in their spare time which is why Juan Pablo Montoya "hurt his shoulder playing tennis" at the start of his last year in F1 rather than hurting it falling off a motorbike. I think it all started when Patrick Depailler broke his legs in a hang-gliding accident, keeping him out of the cockpit for months. However, Renault apparently didn't have this clause in Kubica's contract, probably at his insistence. Without it, they may not have been able to keep him in the team. Their mistake was to not have a decent, experienced, fast driver as a back-up in case something nasty did happen.

Even activities that may be considered safe can be dangerous. Bob Wollek, raced things like Porsche 962s successfully for years without injury yet got killed riding his pushbike near the Sebring circuit. Jason Watt was paralysed when popping a wheelie in his motorbike while not wearing protective gear. It is ironic when a driver gets injured in something way slower than an F1 car which is pretty well any form of motor sports. As an example of how quick an F1 car is compared to a fast car, here is an overlay of F1 cars and FIA GT cars going trough Eau Rouge.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Don't get it! One minute they say "Its not so bad" (Genii yesterday) and today its headline news again that his career is "In the balance and could be over". Someones not telling it how it is! I like Kubica and would appreciate it if they would just tell the truth without thinking about the effects on sponsorhip (Genii) or for punchiness (BBC & News progs).

Nice words from his friends in F1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9390269.stm

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not on a par TBH, but definately one of the most promising Rookies last year!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

What about Kimi?

Evora NA

Too expensive apparantly! :ermm:

I'd like to see Senna given his chance in a half decent car.

Hulkenburg would be my favourite as his ability may be on a par with Kubica after more experience, but he's a loose cannon at present, inexperienced and prone to mistakes. But there is no doubt in my mind that Kubica could do things with a car that only 1 or 2 other drivers can. His positions in what was an average car last year, were excellent.

Heidfeld maybe if they want experience.

Evora NA

The latest update on Robert is that his condition remains positive. He will stay in intensive care for the next couple of days to allow a complete check-up and to avoid another change of department before his final operation.

His good general condition means that the final surgery (on the elbow) is scheduled for Wednesday.

Evora NA

Worst armco crash I have ever seen is this one.

My link

Not to take anything away from this one as Kubica's had the rail go through on his side of the car. Incredibly lucky.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 2 weeks later...

How can you tell someone else that the worse crash they've ever seen is one that perhaps they've not seen? Perhaps 'I think this is worse' would have been better than 'no, it was this one'.

Anyway, latest from Kubica's doctor...

Dr. Rossello, can you give us an update on Robert’s condition today?

I saw him this morning around 8:30am. He is doing pretty well and his condition is positive considering what he has been through. The good news is that there have been no complications following all the surgery he has had recently.

You performed the surgery on his hand – what more can you tell us about that…

He can move his fingers slightly and has a little bit of sensitivity already in his hand. What is very important is that there is no sign of infection, which is the main concern.

Last week he moved from intensive care to the rehabilitation department – what did that involve?

Yes, he no longer needs intensive care so he has begun the rehabilitation process. He is now in his own large room so that he is as comfortable as possible. He has already started some gentle hand exercises with the slight flexing of his fingers.

Is he in good spirits?

He’s no longer in pain and his psychological condition is pretty good. He’s obviously keen to start the rehabilitation work as soon as possible.

How much longer will he spend in the rehabilitation department?

It’s difficult to say. For the next couple of weeks, he will stay here so we can monitor his condition. During that time there is still the possibility of infection and other complications so he will have the dressings on his hand changed every few days. After two weeks we will assess his next move.

Evora NA

Good news. Glad to hear the update there Bibs. Thanks.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

• 3 weeks later...

Evora NA

Link not working bud.

Evora NA