free hit
counters
Lucas 43DM4 Distributor and Ignition Module - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lucas 43DM4 Distributor and Ignition Module

andrewvolsen

I am rebuilding an Excel 912 for my S1 Esprit, and the distributor that came with it is a Lucas 43DM4. This distributor requires an ignition module, Lucas AB14. After some further investigation I've found that the main chip inside this Lucas ignition module is a GM Delco part, easy for me to get as I am in California. My question is, do I need the whole Lucas AB14 ignition module, or can I use just the GM Delco part? Here is a picture of the component I am referring to:

http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/yabbfiles/jwm/Attachments/ign_amp.jpg

If I do need the whole ignition module, is it common to any cars I could find in a salvage yard here in California? Perhaps some old Jaguars?

Andrew

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that I can answer the question but I can tell you that the AB14 module was fitted to a number of older Jags. I saw one being sold for a Lotus and the seller wanted lots of money since it is an obsolete part. I looked up Jag parts on ebay and got one for a fraction of the price. I wouldn't mess around just get hold of one and fit it.

From a very clever man in Norfolk...

The LucasAB14 Ignition Module is obsolete.

Brian Angus at Lotus is in theprocess of investigating a replacement component for the internal Modulecontained inside the AB14 Unit.

They are awaitingcomponents to approve.

As soon as thisprocess is complete they will identify the component and source.

This shouldallow owners to repair and continue to use the Lucas AB14 unit.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Stick the GM Delco part in...and see if it works!! Looks to me as if you won't have any problems if you do....that's the route I'd take in the circumstances!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Jaguars Series 3, Rover V8's Austin Maestro's & TR7 etc of similar period. AB14 also contains a condensor and what I think maybe a zenner diode, so I assume you would need these items too.

As posted, the main internal is a GM part that's still currently available (circa £20 from your local motor factor...). I've got a new one in front of me now - marked as 117 3K25 - Saved Brian a job....

If you need to replace the hall effect senser, the Jag is the best bet, as the baseplate is also compatible with the Lotus 4cyl distributor (with a tiny modification)

Steve

In that photo the only parts i can identify are a capacitor ( condensor in car-speak ), a diode, the Delco part you have identified and a funny pink V shaped thing with wires molded into the end of it (? ) I agree with Moley, change the Delco part and see if it works, you might also be able to identify the diode and capacitor if there are markings on them and replace those with modern equivalents. ( cheap parts from an electronics store )

It might be worth a try, why throw away a whole unit for one faulty part ? I recently repaired an 'Air-con regulator module' from an 88 Esprit Turbo, the owner was quoted $550 for a new one and the fault was only a $3 component inside it. It depends whether you like 'fettling' things I suppose, or if you prefer to throw things away and buy new. I like a challenge, but the I'm a bit weird like that and don't like throwing money away. :blink:

Too many Toys are never enough !

I have located a replacement AB14 locally through a shop specializing in old British cars. I was told it came from either a jag or late mgb. I have heard these sometimes have 2 wires coming out of them and sometimes 3. Is my understanding that this 3rd wire is for the tach correct? Should I connect the tach in my S1 this way, or should I go with the traditional connection at the coil?

Andrew

As above? - third wire is a tacho feed via a 10k resistor. The answer to you question depends on your wiring harness. Some configurations use a resistor wire to feed the tacho. I assume if you bypass the resisor altogether that will be a problem. I would therefore try the feed from the AB14 in the first instance.

NB If you find another 'unexpected' wire, its likely to be a feed for an EFI trigger....

Steve

Edited by 910Esprit