free hit
counters
Rain - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rain

Just curious how people feel about driving their Esprit in the rain. I see many for sale ads that claim "only driven in good weather" and I have heard stories of people having crashes in the rain. Is is unecessary neurosis, or sensible advice to stay out of the rain?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definitely sensible advice to drive CAREFULLY in the rain!

Beyond that, it's just people who don't want their lovely cars to get all icky!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

:D Always try to avoid it if at all poss but sometimes in UK you just have too. :o

This Sunday for example on the Oxford Run the forcast is not looking its best.

I find you just have to watch the power down as all that energy on a wet surface can have some interesting results :lol:

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Living in the UK i don't see how you can keep out of the rain!

:o

At the end of the day it's a british car, in britain, and fitted with

windscreen wipers. The only real thing i consider a peril in the

rain is deep puddles, as the esprit aquaplanes like you would

not believe.

Aside from that i just drive slower and try to keep the revs low

enough at gearchanges so as not to engage any sudden boost.

Another plus of the Esprit is it's plastic, so it won't rust!

B)

Much.

Recently had my car in for service and they rang up to tell me that "did I know the windscreen wipers didn't work on fast speed" - my response was "I don't drive in the rain so I wouldn't know!"

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

must agree with fishy,

even driving on a damp road can get hairy,mainly when the turbo comes in 'just at the wrong time'

looks like we may have practice on sunday :lol: forcast is rain , hope they're wrong!

Dodgy

christ! i must learn to type faster ... 3 posts were added while i was typing :o

Edited by dodgy154

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Another plus of the Esprit is it's plastic, so it won't rust!

B)

Much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL :o

Everything else makes up for it though !

All the Esprits I have looked under the rust on the metalwork is pretty eye-opening. I might be wrong but I reakon when building the cars Lotus didn't eactly go out and buy the best metalparts they could have resulting in a higher corosion rate - same with the Elise I have - could always be put down to the low milage these cars generally do and being kept outside.

If it's raining I generally don't bother to drive, mainly because I cannot enjoy the car's grip as I do in the dry. However, like the up and coming Oxford meet it doesn't put me off driving the car, you just adjust accordingly.

However I never put it away wet, I always wait for the rain to stop and the roads to dry (ie no spray) and go for a short drive to dry it off before putting it to bed.

I'd love to have my car clean and shiney/spotless but I realise the trade off for that is you can't realisticly drive the thing (esp in the UK) and enjoy what Colin hath given us....I'm back in the dirty gang now, rather get out and enjoy the car on the road instead of in the garage.

Incidently the paint I used to restore my car is great - I use a small amount of light oil (WD40) on a cloth to wipe all the dirt and muck off the metalwork - comes up spotless everytime. If you de-pig the car say once every 6 months (every A service) you can get ontop of keeping the car between the balance of using it and keeping it clean.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I don't like driving the Esprit when raining. It gets very tail-happy when on wet roads; and that's on the low boost setting too.

Edited by gmendoza

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

heh, yeah, in California it's entirely possible to actively not drive in the rain, and perhaps only miss a month at most of driving :o

I HATE driving in the rain. But since the Esprit is my only mode of transportation usually (aside from a 55 chevy that is even more ridiculous in the rain, and a TR7 that aside from not running would probably be even worse, and leak) I grit my teeth and go out there... carefully.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

agreed it's not fun driving in the wet (even without a turbo) but think about it, Esprit were designed for this country. 5 or 6 years ago when we had the massive floods all over the country I did a daft thing and decided to go on a trip from the midlands to Reading and back. On the way down through Oxfordshire I went through a village where there was a good ft of water across the road. People were turning around, not crossing it and I kid you not started laughing when they saw me. Stiff upper lip, slip clutch keep engine reving stop water going up the exhaust - no worries. Got through to looks of disbelief from bystanders - god I wish I had the bond theme tune on the cd player!! The way back in the afternoon was worse - serious torrents covering the roads to the point where my I went through one and water flowed into the footwells over my feet but the old girl didn't miss a beat. In the end I couldn't get home thanks to the moat that had been created to stayed at a mates house 'till the river subsided. (hadn't had a chance to fit the submarine conversion kit).

Moral of the story is - the engine is in the back with no fan to splash water all over the electrics. The air intake is high up so won't suck in any water and the thing is so light it'll probably float if you do get into trouble!

Took about 6 months to dry the carpets out though...

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

agreed it's not fun driving in the wet (even without a turbo) but think about it, Esprit were designed for this country. 5 or 6 years ago when we had the massive floods all over the country I did a daft thing and decided to go on a trip from the midlands to Reading and back. On the way down through Oxfordshire I went through a village where there was a good ft of water across the road. People were turning around, not crossing it and I kid you not started laughing when they saw me. Stiff upper lip, slip clutch keep engine reving stop water going up the exhaust - no worries. Got through to looks of disbelief from bystanders - god I wish I had the bond theme tune on the cd player!! The way back in the afternoon was worse - serious torrents covering the roads to the point where my I went through one and water flowed into the footwells over my feet but the old girl didn't miss a beat. In the end I couldn't get home thanks to the moat that had been created to stayed at a mates house 'till the river subsided. (hadn't had a chance to fit the submarine conversion kit).

Moral of the story is - the engine is in the back with no fan to splash water all over the electrics. The air intake is high up so won't suck in any water and the thing is so light it'll probably float if you do get into trouble!

Took about 6 months to dry the carpets out though...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent story! Find any fishies?